cheap helmet cam - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

cheap helmet cam

I'm looking at the Ion Air pro lite wi-fi.. Reviews seem great for the price etc..At 40 bucks, it seems very low priced for a 1080 hd cam that is waterproof to 30 feet. anyone have any experience with this cam or like minded cheap action cams in the 40-70 buck range. Im not going to be vlogging , just wanna make a video every now and then and use it as a traffic cam when commuting to work, had a lot of close calls...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:40 PM

I am also interested in a lower priced action cam, but don' want to have a box sitting on my head. I did some research on Ion and Contour, an found that they merged in mid 2015 to try and survive the GoPro mania and the onslaught of new competitors entering the market. The new company was going to keep offering both brands, but it sounds like they (Ion) just filed for bankruptcy with sales dropping in half over the last year. They make some other security and body cam items, so I would hope they survive. For $89, I'm thinking about buying one of the Contours off Amazon. However, with these types of cameras, you have to physically delete everything off the card to have it start re-recording.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Yea I just ordered thew ion. For 39 bucks and free shipping I can't see going wrong for what I am intending to do.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM

Garage
Slightly above your budget..... https://www.amazon.com/Sena-Helmet-P...ena+prism+tube

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
Nice features....https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Sport...rift+stealth+2

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have a sj4000 ($30-50)(got mine for $35)

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys,

Joe, I figured you would have some advice to throw into this. I went ahead with the Cheap route for starters.. I think if it turns into something I enjoy (which Im thinking it will) then I'll spend a bit more money on a better setup. But sometimes I tend to get a little lazy with my s, so starting cheap ass is probably the smart move for now.. Now, how to keep wind interference down, guess sill get a mic setup?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Thanks for the input guys,

Joe, I figured you would have some advice to throw into this. I went ahead with the Cheap route for starters.. I think if it turns into something I enjoy (which Im thinking it will) then I'll spend a bit more money on a better setup. But sometimes I tend to get a little lazy with my s, so starting cheap ass is probably the smart move for now.. Now, how to keep wind interference down, guess sill get a mic setup?
Sounds like me . My wife bought me a gopro a couple years ago .Used it once or twice threw it in a drawer and have not seen it since.lol
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Sounds like me . My wife bought me a gopro a couple years ago .Used it once or twice threw it in a drawer and have not seen it since.lol
yea, my son did the same thing.. HAD to have one.. he used it two times I think. that was 2 years ago or so.

You and I need to get together and ride sometime, your only 30 miles or so from me.. always a nice ride up near hanging rock and Danbury area.. can try out the cam when it comes in.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
yea, my son did the same thing.. HAD to have one.. he used it two times I think. that was 2 years ago or so.

You and I need to get together and ride sometime, your only 30 miles or so from me.. always a nice ride up near hanging rock and Danbury area.. can try out the cam when it comes in.
That would be awesome But I moved back to Penna. in May put more miles on my bikes in 1 week in NC than I have in 8 months in Pa. I hate this place I miss Nc. Well at least Pa did not vote for Hillary.lol
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage
I wanted to pick up something like this, but it seems they are no longer produced. I like the idea of having a separate camera lens that can be 'permanently' mounted to the front of the bike.

Innovv motorcycle camera | motorcycle dashcam | motorcycle dvr

Anyone seen anything similar out there??

'09 Versys
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I wanted to pick up something like this, but it seems they are no longer produced. I like the idea of having a separate camera lens that can be 'permanently' mounted to the front of the bike.

Innovv motorcycle camera | motorcycle dashcam | motorcycle dvr

Anyone seen anything similar out there??
I would suggest an SJCAM in dash cam mode with the waterproof charging case. Tap into power that comes on with the key and it will automatically start recording any time the bike is turned on.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 PM

My wife bought me a LIC Ego 727 a couple of years ago. It was a neat little camera. Strangely enough, it made clearer video in 720P-60 than 1080P. I still have it but it has decided to shut down after 1-3 minutes, so it became unusable. (Yes, Ive reloaded reloaded software/reflashed memory/upgraded)

I have a Sony HDR-200V and it works great. It is a bit pricey but the image stabilization & wind reduction really work. I normally mount my camera to the left grip. The EGO wouldn't work there due to vibrations but the Sony does fine. They are a little hard to mount to a helmet, especially modular helmets. I'm thinking of purchasing another but will wait for my banking accounts to cool down from holidays.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Joe, have there been any issues with the Drift Ghost you use, or problems with downloads, etc. I think the Stealth 2 is great for under $100, but there is no external microphone feature, so no on the fly audio like you do on your video's.

If you take the time to read the comments and reviews, it's amazing how many of the small cameras get panned terribly. Even the Sena and Contour products get some bad raps. I like the Contour stuff, but don't want to buy a product for which support is questionable since they are currently in bankruptcy.

rayj
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Joe, have there been any issues with the Drift Ghost you use, or problems with downloads, etc. I think the Stealth 2 is great for under $100, but there is no external microphone feature, so no on the fly audio like you do on your video's.

If you take the time to read the comments and reviews, it's amazing how many of the small cameras get panned terribly. Even the Sena and Contour products get some bad raps. I like the Contour stuff, but don't want to buy a product for which support is questionable since they are currently in bankruptcy.
one big down side of the stealth 2 is it has an internal battery.... if it freezes (drifts sometimes do but i still love them)you cant pull the battery to reboot, and when the battery craps out (will happen over time) you have to open it up to replace it and do soldering

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
one big down side of the stealth 2 is it has an internal battery.... if it freezes (drifts sometimes do but i still love them)you cant pull the battery to reboot, and when the battery craps out (will happen over time) you have to open it up to replace it and do soldering
Thanks Silvie. I found a video from 2011 on changing out the battery on the original Stealth, but note that there is no such accessory or after market battery products sold for the Stealth 2. Also can't find anything in the product description from the company web site other than "internal lithium ion ...", versus the description on the Ghost as being "rechargeable lithium ion...".

rayj
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post

I would never get the Stealth 2 for me. Doesn't meet my needs. I've been using 2 Drift Ghost since they came out and have had no issues with the camera. Had a bad battery once but you can get 2 batteries plus a charger from Wasabi on Amazon for what 1 Drift battery cost. Drift has a web-site for firmware upgrades and customer service reps. I got in touch with them on the battery issue and they sent a new one out right away. I've been using Drift Cameras since 2010 and will stick with them unless they screw up in the future.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 PM

My little EGO camera is working properly again. I changed the micro SD card to a newer, higher speed rated card and it cured the problem. The memory card has been moved to a little tablet I have and it works okay there. Obviously the speed rating on the cards really is something that affects the unit performance.

There is really not a lot of difference in the video quality between the Sony & the EGO. Noise reduction & video stability are both really nice features but if I set the cameras side by side on a static surface there is little difference in the quality of the videos. Sony is definitely better when in motion, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode