Cold Hands ??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cold Hands ???

The last 2 bikes i put heated grips on and also used Handlebar Mitts or (ATV Mitts). I found with the mitts i hardly ever used the heated grips and when i did it was like putting your hands in a warm oven with the mitts. I took off the heated grips and plan to use them on the V-1000 also. I took the Mitts out to see how they would fit with the hand guards on the bike. Just had to take a knife and cut some stitching down to the gray ridge you can see on the mitts. Now they fit like a glove.One thing i like about the mitts is it keeps the wind off your hands and if it rains your hands stay dry. Got mine off Amazon for less than $30.00.

P1010698 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010697 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010696 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010695 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-15-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The last 2 bikes i put heated grips on and also used Handlebar Mitts or (ATV Mitts). I found with the mitts i hardly ever used the heated grips and when i did it was like putting your hands in a warm oven with the mitts. I took off the heated grips and plan to use them on the V-1000 also. I took the Mitts out to see how they would fit with the hand guards on the bike. Just had to take a knife and cut some stitching down to the gray ridge you can see on the mitts. Now they fit like a glove.One thing i like about the mitts is it keeps the wind off your hands and if it rains your hands stay dry. Got mine off Amazon for less than $30.00.

[img width=700 height=467]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5665/31397732465_062593f7e1_h.jpg[/img]P1010698 by weljo2001, on Flickr

[img width=700 height=467]https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5820/31397731735_5f2aa7369b_h.jpg[/img]P1010697 by weljo2001, on Flickr

[img width=700 height=467]https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5693/31397731155_cd78963b46_h.jpg[/img]P1010696 by weljo2001, on Flickr

[img width=700 height=467]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5803/31397730345_29e5b1b1f2_h.jpg[/img]P1010695 by weljo2001, on Flickr

[img width=700 height=467]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5793/31397729425_9b8f391be2_h.jpg[/img]P1010694 by weljo2001, on Flickr

On the FJR...[img width=700 height=525]https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5457/17004646693_f16893ab1a_h.jpg[/img]Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
I've still got a pair. They used to call them Hippo Hands as I recall. Surprised they would fit over your handgrips. Mine offered a little room to operate controls even on bikes without handgrips.
Nice thing about the Kaw handgrips is they really do a great job of blocking cold air. I am perfectly comfortable riding in the 40s in just gloves with Thinsulate. When it gets in the 30s I put on heated gloves.
I did forget about those Hippo Hands until you mentioned it. Guess they can extend my season on the Thruxton!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I've still got a pair. They used to call them Hippo Hands as I recall. Surprised they would fit over your handgrips. Mine offered a little room to operate controls even on bikes without handgrips.
Nice thing about the Kaw handgrips is they really do a great job of blocking cold air. I am perfectly comfortable riding in the 40s in just gloves with Thinsulate. When it gets in the 30s I put on heated gloves.
I did forget about those Hippo Hands until you mentioned it. Guess they can extend my season on the Thruxton!

I have several pair of winter glove but i never use them i like a thin glove. As you see in my videos i use the Mechanix Gloves not much for protection but comfortable. So with the mitts i can use the thin gloves.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have several pair of winter glove but i never use them i like a thin glove. As you see in my videos i use the Mechanix Gloves not much for protection but comfortable. So with the mitts i can use the thin gloves.
I like the style of yours better than mine. Much wider allowing good interface with the controls...even over handguards.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I like the style of yours better than mine. Much wider allowing good interface with the controls...even over handguards.

Mine were listed as ATV Mitts they seem to have more room. They no longer have the ones i use but these are basically the same.....https://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Refl...ords=ATV+Mitts

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 PM

$35 From Bass Pro Shops...

Best thing I ever did for cold weather riding, and I commute year round.
weljo2001 and zhoubuyou like this.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:07 AM

Frequent cold weather rider here. For long distance cold weather riding at highway speeds nothing beats a heated jacket liner and heated gloves. The gloves plug into the cuffs of the jacket liner and a two channel temp controller allows you to adjust the temp of both independently which is essential. In cold temps the heated gloves do a better job than heated grips as they keep the back of the hand and fingers warm. The extra heat of the jacket liner replaces heat lost from wind chill at highway speeds. The heated collar of my jacket liner is really nice and keeps my neck and head warm. Self powered heated gear, the stuff with integrated batteries, does not produce enough heat to be effective on the bike. You need about 150 watts of power from the bike to power heated gloves and a full sleeve jacket liner on high. IMO I would skip a heated vest for a heated jacket liner with heated sleeves and collar which is more practical and warmer. Once you add the cost of the temp controller, the price difference is small too.

That said, in city commuting, which I also do a lot of, you are frequently on and off the bike which is a pain if you have to plug in every time. Also the wind chill is not as big a factor in lower speed commuting. For this I prefer my insulated waterproof motorcycle gloves and the regular insulated liner my jacket came with. Motorcycle pants with a wind blocking liner I've found are also essential in cooler temps. Jeans make you freeze and don't block the wind.

I've got a dual pane visor for my bell helmet but I would imagine one of those stick on anti fog inner shields would do the same thing. Also essential IMO to see where you are going as cool weather fogging is a real problem otherwise, especially in drizzle and rain which is common this time of year. Anti fog spray just can't cope with the level of fogging that occurs in cool weather.

I don't really see a point in heated pant liners or heated insoles unless you are snowmobiling. When your core is warm, you get warm blood flow to the extremities. If your core is cool the first thing your body does is restrict blood flow to the hands and feet.

Bottom line, is with the right gear, you can be really comfortable on the bike in pretty much any tempature or condition. The only thing that makes me park my bike is snow and ice on the road. Longer length, adventure style, motorcycle jackets are better in cool weather as they prevent drafts at the waist.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-04-2016 at 09:35 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Garage
I like heated grips on my bikes that can handle the draw. They are always there when you need them. Don't have to pull over to swap gloves.

When touring in the cold, heated grips, heated seat, heated vest, and heated soles (used sparingly) provide for all day comfort. I used to bulk up on clothes, but the loss of flexibility made that dangerous.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...The heated collar of my jacket liner is really nice and keeps my neck and head warm....IMO I would skip a heated vest for a heated jacket liner with heated sleeves and collar which is more practical and warmer. Once you add the cost of the temp controller, the price difference is small too....Motorcycle pants with a wind blocking liner I've found are also essential in cooler temps....I don't really see a point in heated pant liners or heated insoles unless you are snowmobiling. When your core is warm, you get warm blood flow to the extremities. If your core is cool the first thing your body does is restrict blood flow to the hands and feet....Bottom line, is with the right gear, you can be really comfortable on the bike in pretty much any temperature or condition....
I TOTALLY agree on the 'jacket-liner' over the 'vest'. I bought a 'heated pants-liner' when I bought the jacket-liner, but I've ONLY used it ONCE in the 5 or 6 years since I bought them. Personally - I do NOT see the need for the heated pants-liner...!

I use gloves w/ a liner inside for cold/cool weather.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Considering how practical and useful heated grips are I'm surprised most bikes simply don't come with them as standard as they are relatively cheap although I see most higher end bikes are providing them as standard equipment now. For the majority of people I think heated grips will be a slightly more viable choice than heated gloves given their price and convenience advantages, although each has distinctive advantages in different situations. I've had both.

Heated Gloves
- warmer and more comfortable when it's cold, more even heat, heat backs of hands and fingers, waterproof and insulated
- can be used on multiple bikes simply by wiring connector plug to battery
- use less power than heated grips, more energy efficient
- works best when used in conjunction with heated jacket liner so they can plug into cuffs. Without heated jacket liner you need to install wires under your jacket every time you put it on.
- requires additional purchase of tempature controller, two channel if you also have a heated liner

Heated Grips
- relatively cheap to purchase compared to cost of heated gloves and required temp controller (~ <$120)
- more convenient, always on bike ready to use, nothing to plug in or unplug when getting dressed or getting on or off bike, can be easily used with or without heated jacket liner
- can extend usefulness of summer gloves into cooler temps
- cannot be removed from bike if you decide to sell it at a later date or used on multiple bikes
- you still require insulated gloves when it's cold

Oxford heated grips work well and are the default choice for aftermarket heated grips, they are cheap and perform well but have an ugly temp controller on the handle bars. Kawasaki OEM brand heated grips seem to have quality issues according to magazine reviews and are over priced. These seem to offer the best of both worlds...............

Koso Apollo Heated Grips Review - webBikeWorld

Last edited by twowheels; 12-16-2016 at 01:45 AM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM

or if you want to go cheap. read the reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FB9WJO?psc=1
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
$35 From Bass Pro Shops...

Best thing I ever did for cold weather riding, and I commute year round.

Me too

I love the angel city - Bangkok

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 AM

I've been using these fugly but effective $30 Klopin "Geartector" ATV muffs the last few years; gave them away with the ZR-7S I just sold, and they wouldn't work with the Versys' bar-mounted mirrors, so I'll be looking for something suitable this winter.

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 12-07-2016 at 07:48 AM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 AM

Although I dont have them on my V, I have had the mitts on other bikes and I do like them they work well. I have had Heated Grips ONLY on my uly, and I liked those for not so cold mornings, but what I dont like about heated grips is they do nothing for the top of your hand.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I've been using these fugly but effective $30 Klopin "Geartector" ATV muffs the last few years; gave them away with the ZR-7S I just sold, and they wouldn't work with the Versys' bar-mounted mirrors, so I'll be looking for something suitable this winter.
I just pulled the mirrors, installed the mitts, felt for and marked the socket for the mirror, pulled 'em off and punched a couple of holes.
Brass eyelets (like for a tarp) in a kit from Lowes made the holes stronger, but after installing them back on, I find the eyelets "spin" on the mit and make it hard to get the mirrors tight. It works, but is tricky. Next time I am going to skip the brass eyes and have a seamstress make "Button holes" where the mirrors go.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No mirror issues with these.....https://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Refl...3HDJQBVN1XYNA7
Doug Just Doug likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dug out the AME Heated Grips i used on the FJR. Decided to order a set of Koso Apollo Heated Grips today.......https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6IX42S...ing=UTF8&psc=1

So with the mitts & grips i can wear thin gloves and keep my hands toasty...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:26 PM

Anyone know if the mitts will install with brush guards/Bark Busters? I suppose they could be removed.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Anyone know if the mitts will install with brush guards/Bark Busters? I suppose they could be removed.

Photos 2,3 and 4 on first post is the mitts installed over the OEM hand guards on my V-1000

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post

Mitt Off....
P1010579 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Mitt On.......
P1010695 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode