Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New to the Versys world

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Just traded in my 03 Z1000 w/ 60k miles on it on Saturday for a brand new (like 2 miles) 2014 Versys 650. So far, I couldn't be happier with my purchase, apart from the bike being a little tall. Can't wait to get done with the break in period so I can really start to toss it around.

Current planned mods are an Ixil slip on, lower the bike and swap out the seat. Any other common mods you guys can recommend?

#11 · (Edited)
The SW-Motech engine bars will pay for themselves the first time your bike falls on it's side or you have a minor mishap. I find this happens more frequently with a tall bike with a high center of gravity, like the V.

IMO hand guards, on the other hand, are more of a cosmetic enhancement than a functional enhancement and don't offer the same value as the engine bars. I've had Barkbusters but had to sell them due to an installation conflict with my Gaffer brake line. Without the Barkbusters the bar end hits and you may possibly damage a $10 brake or clutch lever that can easily be replaced in 5 min. With the $180 hand guards you are more likely to bend the bars on the inner attachment point, at least in a hard hit, but protect the $10 lever from damage.

#15 ·
I second this one.

I recommend riding it for a while and setting the suspension correctly before lowering it. I thought the Versys was too tall when I first got it, but now the thought doesn't even cross my mind. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam for the record.

Welcome
I also think that you should ride it for a while before lowering it. I really like the ride height in the Versys. Then again I am 6' tall and easily have both feet down at stops - although perhaps that is from the "lowering" provided by my "slightly overweight" build.

#8 ·
I recommend riding it for a while and setting the suspension correctly before lowering it. I thought the Versys was too tall when I first got it, but now the thought doesn't even cross my mind. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam for the record.

Welcome

#13 ·
Just traded in my 03 Z1000 w/ 60k miles on it on Saturday for a brand new (like 2 miles) 2014 Versys 650. So far, I couldn't be happier with my purchase, apart from the bike being a little tall.
Current planned mods are an Ixil slip on, lower the bike and swap out the seat. Any other common mods you guys can recommend?
Just saw where you're from, so I'll skip my comment about heated grips and an outlet for heated gear.

As someone else said, depends on how/where you ride. Personally I'd say wait on the lowering - you might be just fine. I think the whole "flat foot at a stop" thing is over rated, but YMMV, of course.

#16 ·
Just saw where you're from, so I'll skip my comment about heated grips and an outlet for heated gear.

As someone else said, depends on how/where you ride. Personally I'd say wait on the lowering - you might be just fine. I think the whole "flat foot at a stop" thing is over rated, but YMMV, of course.

I lowered just the rear and fasteddys seat raise in front to prevent the forward slide privates busters. Love the results. Much more comfortable and still handles great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.