Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Member, Lurker since Dec 2014 and rant

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Markie Motard 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,I am a new member. Mark is my name and i will tell you a little about myself first before i get off on my rant.
I am 58 years young and have been riding since I was 14. Racing motocross at 15. Throughout my life I have had many motorcycles mostly dirt bikes, every thing from 125 to 500cc two strokes to my current dirt bike a Kawasaki KX450f.
Have traveled from coast to coast racing in amateur events, even made it to Loretta Lynn's one year in the open class.

Road bikes have included Kawasaki's and Harley's and in December of 2014 became the owner of a show room new 2012 Versys. Picked it up from a dealer here in the Kansas City area for a song. Won't say how much but will say that it was under $6000.00 BRAND NEW!!!!

Through this excellent forum and some dedicated members that post opinion and fact I was able to make some easy choices about my first adjustments
-Motowerk lowering pegs and mirror extenders,(I am 6ft 3in)self made seat raising bracket and stuffing additional foam under seat to make it more comfortable to ride. (the boy's thanked me)
Ultimately will get seat re-worked or go the Seat Concepts new foam and cover. Local guy here said he could "scoop it out" for $100.00 but that sounds high and I don't want the seat to be any lower. So guy's, keep it coming on seat ideas, I don't have $300.00 to $400.00 to figure out that I don't like a seat from a high end seat manufacturer.
I also wear bicycle shorts under my pants,it seems to help with the monkey butt- dirt bike thing learned long ago.

-minor issues- Oil light came on at around 250mi no hammering sounds or clattering so i shut it down and let it rest a minute. re-started and it was out, rode straight home and changed the filter with OEM and oil with full synthetic. No more problems.
I use full synthetic in everything I have from experiences working on a late model (352 chevrolet) Penzoil sponsored road race team in Rosamond California at Willo springs Raceway. Heck I even use it in my air compressor!

Dadgum windshield scratches despite using kid gloves cleaning it.
Yea, my left front turn signal and mirror vibrate more than the right..............????

On some other issues, I only use my clutch at stops and downshifting some times,(just match road speed to rpm and it SLIDES RIGHT IN) dirt bike thing I guess, I've never torn a transmission up in any of my racing equipment and motocross is pretty tough on everything........even your body

I ALLWAYS (even when it's 100 degrees) wear my boots, long pants,padded riding jacket and gloves when I ride. Been down on the pavement and dirt many times and good protective equipment is a must for me.
Oh yea, and a good helmet that has at least a snell rating. You got a ten dollar head? put a ten dollar helmet on it. And if I go down and hit my head, It gets REPLACED, I have a shop lined with hanging helmets that have served the purpose well and deserve retirement.

Best regards to all, thanks for the tips, good riding, be safe and have fun, I haven't seen many Versys around my area but you bet I will make my mark.
I want to ride with weljo2001 some of his videos crack me up. As Bill Murray says, I WANNA PARTY WITH THIS GUY!
Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome: If your around Los Angeles or get out this way. Let me know and we'll do a ride. Plenty of great places out here...:smile2:

#4 ·
Never been an In & Out fan but they will do in a pinch...A Motard would be great to ride on Angeles Crest Hwy...:grin2:

#14 ·
I have always said that if a person can learn one thing a day, it's a good day. The people of this forum have been a treasure of info, thank you.
Thanks for the compliment canit, but it is I that have been and continue to be a student in this venture.

By the way, I don't think I said, I love my Versys!

#10 ·
500 Kawi two stroke....Damn pay no attention to my boner....:)

#17 ·
Welcome Markie!

...Dadgum windshield scratches despite using kid gloves cleaning it.
Yea, my left front turn signal and mirror vibrate more than the right..............????
Try Lemon Pledge (the no-name brand works just as well!) for your windshield AND face-screen, and - YES - the left shakes more than the right one....

:goodidea:

#22 · (Edited)
Wow stefanonegrini can you send me some (correct my spelling if I am wrong) pon-set I spelled it like it sounds but don't know if it's correct.
it's a noodle dish I think with pork. haven't had any since we moved back from Kauai.

looked it up and it is pancit, send me some O.K. I love that stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.