new member.... Orlando area - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By 407guy
  • 1 Post By Metalmad
  • 1 Post By chrisfla1
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

new member.... Orlando area

Hello to everyone. I joined the forum after seeing the Versys 1000 during the AIM Expo in Orlando. Love the bike.

What I can tell everyone is US dealers are expected to have pricing the first week of November and the bikes are to arrive at the beginning of January. In November is when I was told that US dealerships "place their orders" for the January delivery.

Price is to be "around the V-Strom 1000" per Kawi at the AIM Expo.

My current inventory is a 2011 Triumph Bonneville and 2009 Buell Lightning (XB12Scg). I'd like something with more storage and comfort for riding two-up with my wife.

Past bikes include: Yamaha FJR1300, Buell Ulysses XT, Kawi KLX250SF, Harley Davidson FLHX (Street Glide).

I live in the north Orlando area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Garage
Welcome from Alaska! If I hadn't done so much work to my 2011 650 Versys already the 1000 might have been in the cards for me. I would like to test ride one just to satisfy my curiosity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.

I'm pretty pumped after seeing the bike in person.

Wife even gives it a

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Thanks Jeff.

I'm pretty pumped after seeing the bike in person.

Wife even gives it a
That's 1/2 the battle You will be pioneering with the V1K in the US though. I'd be reading up on the UK Versys site and some of our Canadian brethren who have had the V1Ks and see what works for them. Are you considering the LT model since it comes equipped with some decent farkles already? It would be a bit more $$ initially but you would more than likely be adding that stuff AND MORE over time.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it'll be the LT. There is no option without.

One challenge for me will be the seat height. I'm 5'7" and I'm okay alone but at the AIM Expo I had my wife get on the bike with me. We "made it" but it got me thinking that having the bike about 1" lower would be a huge improvement for me and stability when she's getting on and off the bike. On my previous Ulysses XT we had the same challenge. One of the reasons why I got rid of it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Garage
Once the V1000 gets here,i'm sure Speedy at Motowerk will have a lowering kit for it shortly.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

weljo2001.

Been looking at Motowerk's stuff already and hoping....

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 08:49 AM

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Welcome to the forum. You're lucky to be able to go to that show. it would be fantastic for sure.
There are people on the UK V1000 site that have lowered theirs mind you they are the gen1 bikes but as Weljo says, Speedy will be on the case shortly.

2013 Versys1000
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

The one thing about lowering the bike it having to possibly cut the side-stand. I'm not a fan of doing that and I haven't (yet) been able to find an aftermarket one to just replace - if any exist.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

407guy.

As a Canadian, we NOT only get the V1000, but I have the V1300!

'Course HALF is here in BC, the other half in AZ....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Buy some Logger boots and lower the seat first before changing the geometry of the bike.

I used to live in Oviedo and graduated from UCF.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Welcome to the forum. Buy some Logger boots and lower the seat first before changing the geometry of the bike.

I used to live in Oviedo and graduated from UCF.

Thanks. (Only an "Orlando guy" for 6 years. So Cal for 21 years prior to my current run in Florida.)

My preference would be a lower seat before doing anything else. But need to get the bike first which is possibly 3 months away.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:43 AM

Welcome from Ohio..........

'16 Versys 650
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Bumping this up as I was looking for the Versys 1000 a couple of years ago but never pulled trigger.

Today I put a "hold" deposit on a 2017 Versys 650 LT in titanium.

Went to the dealership to take a look at it and fortunately for me they also had a FJ-09 right next to it so I could sit on both. While I'm a bit more planted on the FJ-09, the handlebar position seemed more comfortable and not as wide for me on the Versys 650. And wow, the titanium looks really good in person.

I currently have a 2015 HD 48 which is cool to look at it but it's not a commuter bike -- which is something I'd like to have. So the completion of the deal will be dependent on what they can offer my HD as a trade.

I should know by next weekend whether I'm a new owner of a 2017 Versys 650 LT.

* fingers crossed *
onewizard and chrisfla1 like this.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Went to the dealership to take a look at it and fortunately for me they also had a FJ-09 right next to it so I could sit on both. While I'm a bit more planted on the FJ-09, the handlebar position seemed more comfortable and not as wide for me on the Versys 650. And wow, the titanium looks really good in person.
I had the same dilemma between FJ09 and Versys 650. I liked the FJ09 look and engine. But I disliked the price tag, firm seat and my legs didn't like those pegs... while my feet were on the ground(my height is 5.9).
407guy likes this.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Congratulations! You'll love your new bike once you've "farkled" it. Stop by the LAMA event Saturday at East Orlando Harley, and you can check out my Versys.
407guy likes this.

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I should know by next weekend whether I'm a new owner of a 2017 Versys 650 LT.

* fingers crossed *

407guy likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

One thing I noticed (and posted in Gen Discussion) is the titanium I saw did not have color matched "tops" for the side cases. They were the metallic black. Not sure if that was a dealership screw-up, Kawi screw-up, or their website is not correct. On Kawi's website the 650 LT in titanium has matching side case covers.

* shrug *

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode