TIme to Step Up... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 3
TIme to Step Up...

I've narrowed my selection down to two bikes: Versys and Wee-Strom.

Would you guys help me decide?

I mostly ride back roads here in western North Carolina. I'm not fast. Never was. But I'm really draggin' my pegs too frequently on my Suzuki Boulevard S50.

It's probably going to get worse, trying to keep up with my son on his brand new Dukati Multistrada.

I can't afford a Dukati, but I think I could work my way into a used Versys or Wee. Which would you buy and why?

Keep in mind that we're finally talking seriously about taking a trip out west next summer, so there will be some long rides, not just fun curves in the mountains. There could even be some dirt and gravel roads if I can talk him into get his new bike dirty.

Thanks for your help!

Here's a picture of the OldCoot from our ride together yesterday...



'06 Sportster XL1200R
'08 Suzuki Boulevard S50

Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,877


I can help! I have a 2010 in perfect shape! See link in my signature....

I can even help you with delivery, your not too far away.

I will tell you this, I came off the Suzuki C50 back in spring of 2010 and have had a blast on the Versys! I am looking at the Honda NC700X. It is very similar in feel, better on gas, and caters to more of a quite and easy going ride. The gas mileage on the Honda is a tradeoff for power.

Never ridden a Wee - but standing beside one, they are huge compared to the V. The main reason I never considered one. BTW, I noticed in your picture you have a similar build as me. I am 5'8" 160 pounds and I lowered my V the first month I had it. It fits my 30" inseam quite well. The stock height was a bit much for me to be comfortable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

in your search!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 11-04-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Member
 
kiwi 41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,970
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Test ride both bikes if you can as you are talking to a biased crowd here. I did originally test rode a wee strom before buying my versys but in my opinion found the strom a bit top heavy and found the versys a lot more nimble and flickable for street riding and have had the versys on a track half a doz times and it can at times embarrass some higher powered sports bikes in tight sections of a track.
kiwi 41 is online now  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Test ride both bikes if you can as you are talking to a biased crowd here. I did originally test rode a wee strom before buying my versys but in my opinion found the strom a bit top heavy and found the versys a lot more nimble and flickable for street riding and have had the versys on a track half a doz times and it can at times embarrass some higher powered sports bikes in tight sections of a track.
How've you enjoyed it on long rides - multi-days of 200-500 miles per day?


'06 Sportster XL1200R
'08 Suzuki Boulevard S50

Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post


I can help! I have a 2010 in perfect shape! See link in my signature....

I can even help you with delivery, your not too far away.

I will tell you this, I came off the Suzuki C50 back in spring of 2010 and have had a blast on the Versys! I am looking at the Honda NC700X. It is very similar in feel, better on gas, and caters to more of a quite and easy going ride. The gas mileage on the Honda is a tradeoff for power.

Never ridden a Wee - but standing beside one, they are huge compared to the V. The main reason I never considered one. BTW, I noticed in your picture you have a similar build as me. I am 5'8" 160 pounds and I lowered my V the first month I had it. It fits my 30" inseam quite well. The stock height was a bit much for me to be comfortable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

in your search!
I like your taste... that Honda looks very nice. What's the main reason you're going to the Honda from your Versys (in case it's important to me, too)?


'06 Sportster XL1200R
'08 Suzuki Boulevard S50

Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Member
 
kiwi 41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,970
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How've you enjoyed it on long rides - multi-days of 200-500 miles per day?
After 3 years I still ride with stock seat and have no problems myself but others do take issue with seat but you want sit on my ninja 1000 and that not to good so brought air hawk for that. I am currently just planning a big 9 day 8 night trip around south island NZ in Jan and we will do 3500km to 3800km depending on detours and Ninja stays at home and the Versys will be on duty for that ride. Mine has the 2 panniers and top box so it makes it easy for taking gear.

In answer to your question, the biggest day was a 600km or 372 miles day and it was the last day of from memory 2600km trip away with my wife (she had a cruiser at the time) and we got off the bikes at end of journey and felt great.

Coming up to 30,000 km on bike.
kiwi 41 is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Capn Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I like your taste... that Honda looks very nice. What's the main reason you're going to the Honda from your Versys (in case it's important to me, too)?
The main reason is that the Versys gets its power higher in the RPM range. The Honda likes to be short shifted and redlines at only 6000 RPM's. I like the smooth and quiet ride the Honda provides.
Capn Kirk is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Member
 
kiwi 41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,970
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Fully loaded with tent


fun day out on track
kiwi 41 is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Member
 
ATYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,133
Garage
Versys is smaller, more nimble and less expensive than the wee, but still a great utility work horse, AND fun. I've put over 24,000kms on in 2 years with many long days and I'm very happy with the Versys. I'm 5'8", stock bike with just a bit of foam taken out of the seat to prevent the slope forward effect.

I looked at a wee first, but chose the Versys as I think it is a better city bike, and more "fun sized". Both can be thought of as ugly, but IMHO, the Wee is the ugliest bike on the road.

Good luck in your search.

08 Honda Ruckus
09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
09 Kawasaki Versys
ATYC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome