Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

X-300

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  harleydavidson 
#1 ·
Just picked up one of these today. It handled the freeway well on this windy day. Hit 70mph easily at 8k rpms. Since its brand new I didn't push it much past that. It redlines at 12k, so there still room and power left to get there. It's much smoother than the 96 KLR I used to have and a little lighter and shorter. Pretty much fixed all my gripes with dual sports. Looking forward to exploring and camping with this guy this season and many more!

#2 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum

#5 ·
Hi

Wildemonster I am also new here and contemplating a 300 X.

Please can you give us more feedback on your new ride and compare it with others you have ridden. I'm V-Strom shod and thinking of something a little lighter that is still capable of travelling distance at moderate speeds and dirt road capable. Thanks and welcome.

#6 ·
I did a small ride tuesday and 130 mile ride yesterday to get back home. I've owned a klr and a honda ascot before and this is much more like the klr, but feels even lighter than the ascot. The klr would go 70-75, but not comfortably. I got the x-300 up to 75 easily and the vibration was minimal. I hit 80 pretty easy, but since im braking it in i wasnt trying to hold that. It feels weird going to a parallel twin with a 12k red line from thumpers. I started out shifting way early because it just felt different. It didn't take long to get used to it though. It was much more comfortable than I remember the klr being. It was a three hour ride and I took one break an hour in. It was rainy so I didn't get a chance to really push it in the corners, but it maneuvered easily and allowed me to change course mid turn to avoid some gravel without any scare. It got a little hot while splitting lanes. Not sure if it was limited airflow or what. None of my other bikes had all these gauges so I was watching them a little too much. There's limited storage under the seat, but it's there along with a tool kit. I didn't get any panniers because they didn't have any available. I probably will eventually. I have heard people complain of the price, but i thought it was fair. Nothing feels cheap on the bike. The suspension rode wonderfully and the brakes were ample. It's a super lightweight fully functional adventure bike. I'll post more thoughts after the break in period. If anyone has any specific questions for me, ask away.

#7 ·
Versys x anxious

Picking mine up on Saturday morning. I'm giddy! Thanks for sharing your experience so far.

I actually went to see and try this bike but spent awhile at the dealership as they had all sorts of bikes to ride. When I started shopping I wanted a KLR but with me at 5'7" with a 30" inseam the KLR was like trying to get on a horse. Didn't even ride it. The other "want to try" was an F650GS and though I was comfortable on it and it performed well, there was a "just doesn't fit" feeling. I can't flat foot the x either but it still feels just right. I did have one nit pic though - the seat. That will be up there on the list for aftermarket doodads.

#9 ·
Just picked my Candy Lime Green X 300 today. Had center stand, hand guards and crash bars installed. Think I am set except for panniers.Supposed to pour this week,so I'll wait before I go out and put some miles on it. Agreed, seat also on the list. I called Seat Concepts in Ca. and maybe later May. Want stitching in lime green like I did on my KLR 650.Great deal on bike,no destination and set up fees plus Kawasaki has special $250.00 off for Vets past or current. That paid for some of the accessories.

#10 ·
Nice, katkwik! After a 250 mile day I have changed my mind about the seat. Definitely looking forward to some aftermarket options. I passed the 500 mile break in and changed the oil the other day. Not much in the way of metal flakes in there, but there were some. I rode it hard a couple times, but took it easy most of the time. One thing I've noticed is that it runs a little warm. usually one bar above half with occasionally one more bar than that. Havent filled the meter, but at low speed it gets hot. Anyone else noticed that?

#11 · (Edited)
Wish I knew what one or two bars above the center really mean. Mine goes there also during slow technical riding. I assume its just hotter than highway riding. Until I see a hot warning light come on, I'm not worrying about those bars. It should have a numerical gauge. Just wish Kawasaki didn't waste money on stuff like that, which really doesn't tell you anything except its hot!.

#13 ·
The move from an instrument cluster to a single electronic display has allowed manufacturers to project much more information that was previously possible. Maybe it is not always such a good thing.

The main incentive for manufacturers is the cost saving and no doubt the whole system today costs a fraction of what a speedo and its cable once did. I still reset my trip meter every time I fill up and only use bar graphs as an indication. They seem to be deliberately vague anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.