Just got a 2017 Versys 650 LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By aboyandhisversys
  • 2 Post By grimm26

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Just got a 2017 Versys 650 LT

Just got the bike on Saturday. Was riding a 2003 SV650 before that, and man is the Versys smooth and comfortable comparably!

So how important is it to keep the bike under 4000 rpms for the first 500miles like the manual says?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm26 View Post
Just got the bike on Saturday. Was riding a 2003 SV650 before that, and man is the Versys smooth and comfortable comparably!

So how important is it to keep the bike under 4000 rpms for the first 500miles like the manual says?
This should help: Motoman (Pat McGivern) break in method

I haven't seen any real science behind which way is better or not so ultimately it is up to you. Next you should ask about what kind of oil to use
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM

<snip>

I haven't seen any real science behind which way is better or not so ultimately it is up to you. Next you should ask about what kind of oil to use.

and yet another religion war takes wing....

Mobil T4 10W-40. (cringes under desk under hail of incoming righteous indignation hate mail...)
AngryGazebo likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:35 AM

Garage
If i would have stayed under 4000 rpm's i would have been run over out here in Cali...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

DO the motoman break-in.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hah, should have figured there would be controversy. An early oil change definitely makes sense and I'll make a concerted effort to not lug the engine. 4k rpms in 6th is about 55mph, so that is definitely annoying ?. I'm at about 50 miles now, so I'll probably just change the oil and filter and drive sensibly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wink

As for what kind of oil to use, snake oil is definitely the best. I have a source for extra virgin snake oil that will increase your horsepower by 20% and your mpg by 30%!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As for what kind of oil to use, snake oil is definitely the best. I have a source for extra virgin snake oil that will increase your horsepower by 20% and your mpg by 30%!
Here's where I 'get' extra virgin snake oil when I need it....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Hah, should have figured there would be controversy. An early oil change definitely makes sense and I'll make a concerted effort to not lug the engine. 4k rpms in 6th is about 55mph, so that is definitely annoying ?. I'm at about 50 miles now, so I'll probably just change the oil and filter and drive sensibly.
I paid attention to the 4 and 6K redlines for the first thousand miles (more or less,) primarily because I didn't want to take the bike back to the dealer with the bike weeping from various orifices and have the dealer tell me "You abused this machine. NO WARRANTY WORK FOR YOU!!!"

That said, an occasional foray into the next thousand or two RPM up on a rare occasion helps clear plumbing. (IMO.)

Oil/filter changes are cheap (comparatively), engine work is not.

PS: the first oil change is absolutely crucial. You'll be astounded at the metal flakes, shavings, and gunk that appear. I changed out at 550 miles (but note that I belong to the Fred Flintstone School Of Mechanicing..)
Side note: you should have seen what came out of the engines in the mid sixties before the build quality became the art form it is today...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage
Cool 850 km and keep on increasing happiness

This motorbike is amazing!! Just one month and I changed from scary riding to "this s**t goes flipping well"

I would miss some softer speed decrease when releasing the throtle. This bike is pure Nervs! ...and lovely when filtering through cars. So cute little thing with the power of a big monster beneath the skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode