New Indiana member here! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By lanebanger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

New Indiana member here!

Hey there! Just caught a good deal on a new 2016 650. It's my first street bike, so I'm new to road riding. Looking forward to obtaining a lot of good knowledge from this group. Does anyone have any "must have" mods that they can suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMission View Post
Hey there! Just caught a good deal on a new 2016 650. It's my first street bike, so I'm new to road riding. Looking forward to obtaining a lot of good knowledge from this group. Does anyone have any "must have" mods that they can suggest?
Everyone seems to go for a good engine guard especially if you are going to be doing any gravel roads. Personally, I would go for side cases if you didn't get the LT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

That might be a good idea. I went with the standard ABS model.

Ready Break Fire Over!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Welcome, Side cases are a must for me...with top case.
AngryGazebo likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a mount for my phone. Any suggestions?

Ready Break Fire Over!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Does anyone have any "must have" mods that they can suggest?
Welcome. RE: your acquisition - you won't regret it. Indiana, eh? Grip warmers! Might help maximize # of weeks a year you can ride. Riding more for leisure/travel or commute or both?
RE: cases - top case to cover most of the basics ("honey, can you get milk on your way home...." or not wanting to have to wear a backpack everywhere). Add side cases for more serious travel, obviously, if needed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ram mounts are the way to go! They have a bunch of different ways to mount to the bike so you can pick what works best for you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Welcome...............If you have an open belt clip all you need is to make a flat piece of metal connecting the two windshield uprights. The belt clip just clips on there. Works good with my iPhone 5S and an Otter belt clip.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM

For a phone mount there are lots of options. The top tier one is probably a RAM XMount. They offer a super solid grip and come with a back up retainer, are well made and easy to get your phone in and out of. My tank bag has a phone holder but any mount that encapsulates the phone inside a case with a clear window will make the touch screen useless and cause the phone to overheat and shut down in hot temperatures. Make sure your USB outlet is the 2.1 amp variety and not the more common 1 amp type. A bluetooth headset, if you don't already have one, is highly desirable to get the maximum utilization of your phone on the bike. It allows getting GPS voice directions, playing music, etc.. See threads in gear section on this.

I would highly recommend the SW-Motech crash bars as these will likely save you money in the long run with drops on the side or crashes if you are unfortunate enough to have one. They fully protect the delicate parts.

Download the service manual for your bike from this site.

Cheap rear spool lift stand and swing arm spools (10mm 2014 and earlier, 8mm for 2015 and later models from EBay) for cleaning and maint. The swing arm is already threaded for these.

I use a Givi lockable top box for daily commuting and supplement with (Cortech) soft, generic fit, sport size, saddle bags for occasional touring.

A 15x15 size stretch cargo net is super cheap and handy to have. Store under your seat when not using.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode