Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Introductions

910 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forum, currently living in North Yorkshire, England, early 20s and very new to biking.

#2 ·
My bike

My first bike is a Versys 2007 650cc in black bought second hand, but I'm already having a couple of problems! The front brake lever on the handle bars has snapped and I'm struggling to find replacements online (willing to replace the clutch handle as well so they match if needed). Also how easy is it to replace this yourself as most things I find online are about the rear brake pedal. Thanks for any advice

Matt

#7 ·
My first bike is a Versys 2007 650cc in black bought second hand, but I'm already having a couple of problems! The front brake lever on the handle bars has snapped and I'm struggling to find replacements online (willing to replace the clutch handle as well so they match if needed). Also how easy is it to replace this yourself as most things I find online are about the rear brake pedal. Thanks for any advice

Matt
Ebay CNC type levers may or may not fit. I purchased a set and only the brake lever fit. The clutch lever did not.

Your best bet is brand name aftermarket levers like say MotionPro or BikeMaster. You can usually pick these up very cheap at at any dealership or perhaps buy them online.

#3 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum

#4 · (Edited)
Kawasaki

I am going to suggest getting OEM , you should be able to buy just the front brake lever. I would suggest to change the brake fluid, and if you have a vacuum brake bleeder kit, would be really helpful. I was surprised my brake fluid on one side looked like chocolate milk. As to aftermarket levers, many don't fit perfectly and some have posted where activating the front brake, locked up the front wheel. Not suggesting to post on the UK site as some members from there frequent this site.

http://www.partzilla.com/search/?q=13236-0169&x=0&y=0

Partzilla 13236-0169 LEVER-COMP,FRONT BRAKe
Price:
$43.23
List Price $60.00
You Save $16.77 (28%
After market, best to search from the UK using 13236-0169 Kawasaki part number:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMGO-30-329...36d6cee&pid=100623&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=361907822986

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KAWASAKI-KLE...287179?hash=item43fc83878b:g:7jMAAOSwX~dWo18T

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KAWASAKI-KLE...121294?hash=item465c3b9c8e:g:760AAOSwa~BYeMtr

#6 ·
07/09 one and the same

Partzilla gave me the number, searching under 2009, many don't have part numbers going that far back. Kawasaki wants $60 for OEM. As bto replacing, my best advice is look up in the manual, which is in the how to forum in PDF format, should be able to download it, pay attention, I have listed each year as to owners manual or service manual.As a member you should be able to view and download this; http://www.kawasakiversys.com/2007-Kawasaki-Versys-Service-Manual.pdf

As to Ebay, I picked out only the UK ones, all after market and made by the same company. As to doing it yourself, follow the manual, as a engineering background, close examination should reveal how it went together, take it apart, you may need to recover the bushing from the OEM. Any problems post them, lots of owners on this site that have broken a brake lever, only too willing to help. Very unusual to have a post go more than 12 hours unanswered on this forum, a like or a thank you goes a long way. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have sold my 07 within months of buying it, the TPS mode turned it from a unresponsive bike into a wild beast, had a hard time letting it go in spring 2016, replaced by 2015 650 ABS.

#8 ·
Thanks for the help guys, with having biked only a couple of months it's always hard when stuff starts going wrong but this forum has already been a massive help. ATM I'm looking at just keeping everything as is, (I'm on a power limited licence anyway!) then over the next year or so to upgrade parts before in a few years probably moving on to something a bit bigger/newer.

#9 ·
Welcome from San Antonio, in the People's Republic of Texas. While living in East Anglia (Bury St. Edmunds) many, many years ago I rode one of the best uncomplicated and stone-reliable bikes ever built - a 1972 Suzuki T-500J Titan, 500cc two stroke twin. I recall it costing me 1200 Pounds and thinking that was expensive. Funny how times change. If the Versys had been available back then I would have owned one as well.

Had the Suzuki air-freighted back to Texas and rode it all over the country. Sadly, for the life of me I can't recall what ever happened to it. I do wish I still had it though. I know where my Versys is!

Welcome again, and ride safely. Oh, if you ever have the opportunity to ride to the Isle of Man for the TT or MGP, do it at least once. It is a genuinely unforgettable experience. I've been four times and I'm ready to go again. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.