Thinking of Buying a 650 Versys LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Thinking of Buying a 650 Versys LT

64 years old and have purchased 38 motorcycles, 11 different brands for the wife and I. Currently riding a 2015 Indian Chieftain. Had a 2013 Motoguzzi V7 as an extra bike last year. Sold it and now looking at a new 2015 650 Versys LT. I am 6'00" and hoping I will fit the Versys ok. Lots of things to look up, tires, oil, etc. Thanks for any help.
jackthebiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elgin County SW Ontario
Posts: 922
Garage
Welcome to the asylum, Jack. Having a few years and a couple of verticle inches on you, I humbly offer some advice: lower the footpegs and raise the front of the stock seat or replace it. Make your knees and your arse happy and you should find the V to be a fine ride.
Smiley is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 2,660
Welcome From Canada

to the forum, I am going to suggest a V 1000, 6months ago I wouldn't have, several advantages, including the auxiliary power of 7.5 amp and heated grip circuit of 15 amp. Quite a few in the last two months have purchased a V 1000, getting near the end of the deals season, usually End of March then prices start going up again, supply and demand.

Also what Smiley said
onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 145
Since you have owned 38 bikes, you already know each bike is unique in style, fit, and performance. If you buy a Versys, buy it for what it is, a rock solid light-weight sport-touring bike that is fun to ride. I have owned my 2015 650 Lt for three months and really enjoy it. I had anolder Roadking and an XR1200 Sportster. Each was fun to own as is the Versys. Only you can decide whether the 650 or the 1000 is the right bike. Go to a dealer and sit on one or try to let them let you take one for a ride. With your height you probably wont need to lower a Versys as I needed to. The 1000 has a better seat from the factory but after having my Seat Concepts seat done on my 650 it is really nice now. Good luck.
captpfd is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft.Worth,TX. Norwalk CA
Posts: 13,490
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is online now  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 8
Garage
I'm 55 and 6'00. The versys fits me perfectly. I've had a number of bikes over the years though not 38!

I'm finding this bike (09 650) to be very very enjoyable. I'd say hard to go wrong.
Danno25nh is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Thanks for the replies. I am torn between the 650 and the 1000. My Guzzi was a 750 and had plenty of power. I think the Versys 650 makes as much as the Guzzi did. I can get a new 2015 650LT for $7000, or a new 2015 1000LT for $10,709. I thought the 650 might be easier on tires and cheaper to run. My long term plan is to sell the Indian and ride a smaller lighter bike. Will be 65 in May and have thought about going to a sport tourer or adventure bike for a long time. I see they have the same hard bags, but the 1000 has a rack and center stand which is a plus.
jackthebiker is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 12,548
aboard!

The 650 works for me - about 150,000 miles among THREE of 'em...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Member
 
farmerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Warrington UK but bike kept in Houston Texas
Posts: 111
Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
I bought a 2015 650LT a few weeks ago and my advice would be to get your cheque book out and start smiling.
I ride an R1200RT and a VFR 800 vtec.... the V650 is more fun than either of them! More than fast enough for me, very comfy, apart from the stupid seat - but that is an easy fix.
The RT is a great bike but for the money I would get a V650 any day. In fact I was riding the RT yesterday and it felt like an ocean liner compared to the Versys.
Kawasaki have made an exceptional bike and it seems to do most thinks very well and seems to be very reliable. Hard to beat for the price!
farmerboy is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I bought a 2015 650LT a few weeks ago and my advice would be to get your cheque book out and start smiling.
I ride an R1200RT and a VFR 800 vtec.... the V650 is more fun than either of them! More than fast enough for me, very comfy, apart from the stupid seat - but that is an easy fix.
The RT is a great bike but for the money I would get a V650 any day. In fact I was riding the RT yesterday and it felt like an ocean liner compared to the Versys.
Kawasaki have made an exceptional bike and it seems to do most thinks very well and seems to be very reliable. Hard to beat for the price!
I have been thinking about trading the Indian in on a new R1200RT, but I really liked riding my V7 Guzzi last summer and just think I would be happier on a smaller bike. The RT feels bigger than my Indian when I sit on it.
jackthebiker is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 492
I'm just a bit older (and smaller) than you and last year I came to the conclusion that an 850 lb bike was just too big. I had been searching for a sport/adventure touring bike for a couple of years and came across a 15' 650 LT for a decent price. It has more HP and almost as much torque as the 1500 I got rid of. Plenty of speed and a lot more agility. Pretty good saddlebags and I also opted for the OEM 47 L top case. Fixed the seat and added a couple of "comfort" items. It should make a good tourer............
Duffy is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'm just a bit older (and smaller) than you and last year I came to the conclusion that an 850 lb bike was just too big. I had been searching for a sport/adventure touring bike for a couple of years and came across a 15' 650 LT for a decent price. It has more HP and almost as much torque as the 1500 I got rid of. Plenty of speed and a lot more agility. Pretty good saddlebags and I also opted for the OEM 47 L top case. Fixed the seat and added a couple of "comfort" items. It should make a good tourer............
Last summer I rode my V7 Guzzi places I never would have rode my Indian. Thinking the Versys would be the same.
jackthebiker is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Member
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 766
Welcome aboard! I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, and the lowering pegs were the #1 addition I made to my '08. Best purchase I've made for the V.
DaveC is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthebiker View Post
Last summer I rode my V7 Guzzi places I never would have rode my Indian. Thinking the Versys would be the same.
I had a 1500 Vulcan Classic (bags, trunk, fairing, etc.) down some roads in Arizona in 2015 (with my wife on the back) that were more like trails. That was when I seriously started looking at smaller bikes.
Duffy is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Welcome aboard! I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, and the lowering pegs were the #1 addition I made to my '08. Best purchase I've made for the V.
Thanks. I think the 2015 and up have more leg room?
jackthebiker is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 145
I doubt you will be disappointed in the 650 at your age. So light and fun to ride. The 1000 is really nice but not as much of a bargain and more weight. Go for it.
captpfd is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I doubt you will be disappointed in the 650 at your age. So light and fun to ride. The 1000 is really nice but not as much of a bargain and more weight. Go for it.
Real world experience like yours is appreciated. I enjoyed riding my V7 last year, and a 2003 Bonneville T100 before that. But they were extra bikes used for short hauls. (200 mile runs) If I was going on a longer run I would take the Indian. I am hoping the Versys 650LT would make me not need to keep the Indian. When on the superslab the Bonneville felt worked at 70 mph+. The V7 felt more at home at those speeds. After riding a big bike that loves 75 mph, it takes some getting used to a smaller engine turning higher rpms. That is why I keep thinking the Versys 1000LT might work better. But I really like the 650 and may go that way. I ride my wife's Vstar 950 Tourer sometimes and it takes a while to get used to the higher revs, but after a while it feels fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chief.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	118226  
jackthebiker is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 70
Garage
I bought my 2015 650 LT in green and haven't looked back since. Cheaper than the 1000 outright and on insurance plus gas too. The 650 literally is a sportsbike once you pop the bags off. You can lay it down like you wouldn't believe. It will do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. I love it, mainly because it is so incredibly light. I am 5' 11" and it is a great height. I test rode the 1000 and it was nice, but nothing about it made me love it like the 650. The 650 is an underrated bike because most people wouldn't think twice about a versys, hell that is how I was on the older models too. Tires are not a crazy jump to the 1000 as far as price, not enough to not buy it anyway. The only downside of the bike is it has plenty of pwoer to get up to 70, but if you do a lot of highway riding it does rev higher than the 1000 which would give you more top end power, ovbiously. If you can live with not being able to have crazy top end power, buy the 650. It is one hell of a bike. That is a great price as well. I paid 7400 OTD plus tax when I bought mine in March of 2016.

Oh yeah, and the bike looks great with or without the bags. Are you looking at the white or green?
Corvette96 is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rothschild, Wi
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette96 View Post
I bought my 2015 650 LT in green and haven't looked back since. Cheaper than the 1000 outright and on insurance plus gas too. The 650 literally is a sportsbike once you pop the bags off. You can lay it down like you wouldn't believe. It will do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. I love it, mainly because it is so incredibly light. I am 5' 11" and it is a great height. I test rode the 1000 and it was nice, but nothing about it made me love it like the 650. The 650 is an underrated bike because most people wouldn't think twice about a versys, hell that is how I was on the older models too. Tires are not a crazy jump to the 1000 as far as price, not enough to not buy it anyway. The only downside of the bike is it has plenty of pwoer to get up to 70, but if you do a lot of highway riding it does rev higher than the 1000 which would give you more top end power, ovbiously. If you can live with not being able to have crazy top end power, buy the 650. It is one hell of a bike. That is a great price as well. I paid 7400 OTD plus tax when I bought mine in March of 2016.

Oh yeah, and the bike looks great with or without the bags. Are you looking at the white or green?
I found a new green 2015 650LT for $7000 about 450 miles away and I am working the price. But I am retired and love an excuse to go for a ride in my truck. I found a 2016 green 1000LT for $10,709 about 90 miles away. Still looking around for more options. Would love to take the truck out west and buy one and then tour the southwest and bring it back in the truck. But I think it has to be green.
jackthebiker is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 145
Look on Cycletrader. Lots of deals on both 650/1000 2015/2016. You can get any bike shipped to you for $400.00 That's what I did.
captpfd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome