Thinking of Buying a 650 Versys LT - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthebiker View Post
The V7 felt more at home at those speeds. After riding a big bike that loves 75 mph, it takes some getting used to a smaller engine turning higher rpm.
Higher rpm at cruising speed, yes, but it is all relative. The Versys may very well be spinning around 6000 rpm (depending on sprocket sizes) but keep in mind that the red line is north of 10000 rpm.
Plus, 6000 rpm is just where the fun starts.
It all depends on the individual needs of the rider. In my case, the quick handling and light weight of the V made the sacrifice of power a non-issue. A seat fix and lower pegs plus the usual adjustment of bars, controls and levers were all it took.

It's not the perfect bike, but no motorcycle I've ever owned was perfect. It is the best bike for me at this point in my life, it makes me grin and that is what counts.
trialsguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Look on Cycletrader. Lots of deals on both 650/1000 2015/2016. You can get any bike shipped to you for $400.00 That's what I did.
Shipped to me? That's not fun.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I think the 2015 and up have more leg room?
I haven't sat on a 2015+ model to compare, but others have indicated that the pegs are lower from the factory. How much lower I don't know.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks. I think the 2015 and up have more leg room?
Yes they do, however I added the motowerk foot-peg lowering blocks from my '09 for even MORE leg-room.
DaveC likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Look on Cycletrader. Lots of deals on both 650/1000 2015/2016. You can get any bike shipped to you for $400.00 That's what I did.
For the benefit of someone such as myself who is currently shopping for a new 650 and is unfamiliar, is the shipping you mentioned through a third party, or something any Kawasaki dealer can arrange? Is $400 a standard price?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL410 View Post
For the benefit of someone such as myself who is currently shopping for a new 650 and is unfamiliar, is the shipping you mentioned through a third party, or something any Kawasaki dealer can arrange? Is $400 a standard price?
It is a independent company. Price varies depending on distance and locations. My unofficial quote from Indianapolis to Wausau, Wi for a 650LT is $300 (450 miles), but it is not a hard quote. I would probably take my pickup and get it.

Last edited by jackthebiker; 03-29-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 AM

Thumbs up

I too recently went through the same process. I sold my DR650 that I had used for commuting to work until I retired. I had 3 bikes an thought I should cut costs and reduce the stable. Put the money in the bank and thought I would sit on it. Shortly after I saw a video on the new Versys 650. I started looking for a used bike but really wanted the gear indicator that was stock on the 2017 model. So I started considering buying a new bike but in my area they were as rare as hens teeth. Finally found one and closed the deal and can tell you for me it is one of the most satisfying bikes I have owned. I have 2 heavy bikes, Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision Touring bike and at age 66 although I have no trouble riding them I really wanted to go lighter and not to 3 wheels as some do later in life. I'm 6' 2," 195 lb, with a 34" inseam. Unlike others I think the stock seat is one of the more comfortable stock seats I have sat on. I did install a Madstad windshield for better wind protection and it works great. My last 4 lighter bikes a KLR 650, Vstrom 1000, BMW FG800, and DR650 were all good bike but after only 600 miles I can honestly say the Versys is more a more fun bike for me. I too considered the Versys 1000 but really did not want the extra weight. As far as power the 650 has plenty and the low end torque was a pleasant surprise. One of the videos I watched that helped me decide was a Kawasaki dealer doing a Versys walk around. He had bought a 1000 an his son a 650. He said after riding his sons 650 he kind of wished he had bought it instead of the 1000. I feel if you are in a hurry and need to run a lot of Interstate then the 1000 would be the way to go. If you like riding curvy, hilly, 2 lane backroads then the 650 is really hard to beat. Light, nimble, comfortable, with good power makes a really fun ride. Both are great bikes it just depends what your needs are. Good Luck. A good time awaits no matter which way you go!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 AM

I too recently went through the same process. I sold my DR650 that I had used for commuting to work until I retired. I had 3 bikes an thought I should cut costs and reduce the stable. Put the money in the bank and thought I would sit on it. Shortly after I saw a video on the new Versys 650. I started looking for a used bike but really wanted the gear indicator that was stock on the 2017 model. So I started considering buying a new bike but in my area they were as rare as hens teeth. Finally found one and closed the deal and can tell you for me it is one of the most satisfying bikes I have owned. I have 2 heavy bikes, Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision Touring bike and at age 66 although I have no trouble riding them I really wanted to go lighter and not to 3 wheels as some do later in life. I'm 6' 2," 195 lb, with a 34" inseam. Unlike others I think the stock seat is one of the more comfortable stock seats I have sat on. I did install a Madstad windshield for better wind protection and it works great. My last 4 lighter bikes a KLR 650, Vstrom 1000, BMW F800GS, and DR650 were all good bike but after only 600 miles I can honestly say the Versys is a more fun bike for me. I too considered the Versys 1000 but really did not want the extra weight. As far as power the 650 has plenty and the low end torque was a pleasant surprise. One of the videos I watched that helped me decide was a Kawasaki dealer doing a Versys walk around. He had bought a 1000 an his son a 650. He said after riding his sons 650 he kind of wished he had bought it instead of the 1000. I feel if you are in a hurry and need to run a lot of Interstate then the 1000 would be the way to go. If you like riding curvy, hilly, 2 lane backroads then the 650 is really hard to beat. Light, nimble, comfortable, with good power makes a really fun ride. Both are great bikes it just depends what your needs are. Good Luck. A good time awaits no matter which way you go!

Last edited by Silverbullet; 04-03-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
64 years old and have purchased 38 motorcycles, 11 different brands for the wife and I. Currently riding a 2015 Indian Chieftain. Had a 2013 Motoguzzi V7 as an extra bike last year. Sold it and now looking at a new 2015 650 Versys LT. I am 6'00" and hoping I will fit the Versys ok. Lots of things to look up, tires, oil, etc. Thanks for any help.
Sold my 1500 Vulcan Nomad as it was getting heavier as I was getting older. Found a used 15 650LT(400 miles) that I got a great deal one. Finished the break in last year, added some Moro werks front highway pegs and looking forward to this year's season. Love it so far!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode