Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Thinking of Buying a 650 Versys LT

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  bwag1961 
#1 ·
64 years old and have purchased 38 motorcycles, 11 different brands for the wife and I. Currently riding a 2015 Indian Chieftain. Had a 2013 Motoguzzi V7 as an extra bike last year. Sold it and now looking at a new 2015 650 Versys LT. I am 6'00" and hoping I will fit the Versys ok. Lots of things to look up, tires, oil, etc. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Welcome to the asylum, Jack. Having a few years and a couple of verticle inches on you, I humbly offer some advice: lower the footpegs and raise the front of the stock seat or replace it. Make your knees and your arse happy and you should find the V to be a fine ride.

#3 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum, I am going to suggest a V 1000, 6months ago I wouldn't have, several advantages, including the auxiliary power of 7.5 amp and heated grip circuit of 15 amp. Quite a few in the last two months have purchased a V 1000, getting near the end of the deals season, usually End of March then prices start going up again, supply and demand.

Also what Smiley said

#4 ·
Since you have owned 38 bikes, you already know each bike is unique in style, fit, and performance. If you buy a Versys, buy it for what it is, a rock solid light-weight sport-touring bike that is fun to ride. I have owned my 2015 650 Lt for three months and really enjoy it. I had anolder Roadking and an XR1200 Sportster. Each was fun to own as is the Versys. Only you can decide whether the 650 or the 1000 is the right bike. Go to a dealer and sit on one or try to let them let you take one for a ride. With your height you probably wont need to lower a Versys as I needed to. The 1000 has a better seat from the factory but after having my Seat Concepts seat done on my 650 it is really nice now. Good luck.

#5 ·
:welcome:

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am torn between the 650 and the 1000. My Guzzi was a 750 and had plenty of power. I think the Versys 650 makes as much as the Guzzi did. I can get a new 2015 650LT for $7000, or a new 2015 1000LT for $10,709. I thought the 650 might be easier on tires and cheaper to run. My long term plan is to sell the Indian and ride a smaller lighter bike. Will be 65 in May and have thought about going to a sport tourer or adventure bike for a long time. I see they have the same hard bags, but the 1000 has a rack and center stand which is a plus.

#9 ·
I bought a 2015 650LT a few weeks ago and my advice would be to get your cheque book out and start smiling. :)
I ride an R1200RT and a VFR 800 vtec.... the V650 is more fun than either of them! More than fast enough for me, very comfy, apart from the stupid seat - but that is an easy fix.
The RT is a great bike but for the money I would get a V650 any day. In fact I was riding the RT yesterday and it felt like an ocean liner compared to the Versys.
Kawasaki have made an exceptional bike and it seems to do most thinks very well and seems to be very reliable. Hard to beat for the price!

#11 ·
I'm just a bit older (and smaller) than you and last year I came to the conclusion that an 850 lb bike was just too big. I had been searching for a sport/adventure touring bike for a couple of years and came across a 15' 650 LT for a decent price. It has more HP and almost as much torque as the 1500 I got rid of. Plenty of speed and a lot more agility. Pretty good saddlebags and I also opted for the OEM 47 L top case. Fixed the seat and added a couple of "comfort" items. It should make a good tourer............

#17 ·
Real world experience like yours is appreciated. I enjoyed riding my V7 last year, and a 2003 Bonneville T100 before that. But they were extra bikes used for short hauls. (200 mile runs) If I was going on a longer run I would take the Indian. I am hoping the Versys 650LT would make me not need to keep the Indian. When on the superslab the Bonneville felt worked at 70 mph+. The V7 felt more at home at those speeds. After riding a big bike that loves 75 mph, it takes some getting used to a smaller engine turning higher rpms. That is why I keep thinking the Versys 1000LT might work better. But I really like the 650 and may go that way. I ride my wife's Vstar 950 Tourer sometimes and it takes a while to get used to the higher revs, but after a while it feels fine.

Attachments

#18 ·
I bought my 2015 650 LT in green and haven't looked back since. Cheaper than the 1000 outright and on insurance plus gas too. The 650 literally is a sportsbike once you pop the bags off. You can lay it down like you wouldn't believe. It will do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. I love it, mainly because it is so incredibly light. I am 5' 11" and it is a great height. I test rode the 1000 and it was nice, but nothing about it made me love it like the 650. The 650 is an underrated bike because most people wouldn't think twice about a versys, hell that is how I was on the older models too. Tires are not a crazy jump to the 1000 as far as price, not enough to not buy it anyway. The only downside of the bike is it has plenty of pwoer to get up to 70, but if you do a lot of highway riding it does rev higher than the 1000 which would give you more top end power, ovbiously. If you can live with not being able to have crazy top end power, buy the 650. It is one hell of a bike. That is a great price as well. I paid 7400 OTD plus tax when I bought mine in March of 2016.

Oh yeah, and the bike looks great with or without the bags. Are you looking at the white or green?

#19 ·
I found a new green 2015 650LT for $7000 about 450 miles away and I am working the price. But I am retired and love an excuse to go for a ride in my truck. I found a 2016 green 1000LT for $10,709 about 90 miles away. Still looking around for more options. Would love to take the truck out west and buy one and then tour the southwest and bring it back in the truck. But I think it has to be green.

#27 ·
I too recently went through the same process. I sold my DR650 that I had used for commuting to work until I retired. I had 3 bikes an thought I should cut costs and reduce the stable. Put the money in the bank and thought I would sit on it. Shortly after I saw a video on the new Versys 650. I started looking for a used bike but really wanted the gear indicator that was stock on the 2017 model. So I started considering buying a new bike but in my area they were as rare as hens teeth. Finally found one and closed the deal and can tell you for me it is one of the most satisfying bikes I have owned. I have 2 heavy bikes, Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision Touring bike and at age 66 although I have no trouble riding them I really wanted to go lighter and not to 3 wheels as some do later in life. I'm 6' 2," 195 lb, with a 34" inseam. Unlike others I think the stock seat is one of the more comfortable stock seats I have sat on. I did install a Madstad windshield for better wind protection and it works great. My last 4 lighter bikes a KLR 650, Vstrom 1000, BMW FG800, and DR650 were all good bike but after only 600 miles I can honestly say the Versys is more a more fun bike for me. I too considered the Versys 1000 but really did not want the extra weight. As far as power the 650 has plenty and the low end torque was a pleasant surprise. One of the videos I watched that helped me decide was a Kawasaki dealer doing a Versys walk around. He had bought a 1000 an his son a 650. He said after riding his sons 650 he kind of wished he had bought it instead of the 1000. I feel if you are in a hurry and need to run a lot of Interstate then the 1000 would be the way to go. If you like riding curvy, hilly, 2 lane backroads then the 650 is really hard to beat. Light, nimble, comfortable, with good power makes a really fun ride. Both are great bikes it just depends what your needs are. Good Luck. A good time awaits no matter which way you go!

#28 · (Edited)
I too recently went through the same process. I sold my DR650 that I had used for commuting to work until I retired. I had 3 bikes an thought I should cut costs and reduce the stable. Put the money in the bank and thought I would sit on it. Shortly after I saw a video on the new Versys 650. I started looking for a used bike but really wanted the gear indicator that was stock on the 2017 model. So I started considering buying a new bike but in my area they were as rare as hens teeth. Finally found one and closed the deal and can tell you for me it is one of the most satisfying bikes I have owned. I have 2 heavy bikes, Victory Kingpin and Victory Vision Touring bike and at age 66 although I have no trouble riding them I really wanted to go lighter and not to 3 wheels as some do later in life. I'm 6' 2," 195 lb, with a 34" inseam. Unlike others I think the stock seat is one of the more comfortable stock seats I have sat on. I did install a Madstad windshield for better wind protection and it works great. My last 4 lighter bikes a KLR 650, Vstrom 1000, BMW F800GS, and DR650 were all good bike but after only 600 miles I can honestly say the Versys is a more fun bike for me. I too considered the Versys 1000 but really did not want the extra weight. As far as power the 650 has plenty and the low end torque was a pleasant surprise. One of the videos I watched that helped me decide was a Kawasaki dealer doing a Versys walk around. He had bought a 1000 an his son a 650. He said after riding his sons 650 he kind of wished he had bought it instead of the 1000. I feel if you are in a hurry and need to run a lot of Interstate then the 1000 would be the way to go. If you like riding curvy, hilly, 2 lane backroads then the 650 is really hard to beat. Light, nimble, comfortable, with good power makes a really fun ride. Both are great bikes it just depends what your needs are. Good Luck. A good time awaits no matter which way you go!

#29 ·
Sold my 1500 Vulcan Nomad as it was getting heavier as I was getting older. Found a used 15 650LT(400 miles) that I got a great deal one. Finished the break in last year, added some Moro werks front highway pegs and looking forward to this year's season. Love it so far!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.