2012 650 Touring Edition - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jschmitt0715 Send a message via MSN to jschmitt0715
2012 650 Touring Edition

Hello all,

I bought my first bike a few weeks ago, was tracking it down for about 6 months. Finally found the one I wanted and jumped on it. So far I love it, and being on 2 wheels is the greatest feeling. No idea why I waited years and years to finally do it! Found it in great condition, never been dropped, with less than 5k miles on it. It's fully stock minus a Garmin mount so I'll be looking for mods pretty soon. Probably start with an exhaust. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
Beaufort SC ???....Lived in Yemassee when i was a kid for a while. My grandmother lived there for years. I liked the Yoshi on my 650....

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitt0715 View Post
...Probably start with an exhaust. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Here's a suggestion - SAVE your $. Stick w/ your stocker as you won't get enough extra power to make it worthwhile, and that way you won't p!ss off your neighbors...!
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitt0715 View Post
Hello all,

I bought my first bike a few weeks ago, was tracking it down for about 6 months. Finally found the one I wanted and jumped on it. So far I love it, and being on 2 wheels is the greatest feeling. No idea why I waited years and years to finally do it! Found it in great condition, never been dropped, with less than 5k miles on it. It's fully stock minus a Garmin mount so I'll be looking for mods pretty soon. Probably start with an exhaust. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Jeff,

I recommend the Yoshi TRC-D muffler. Much lighter than stock, more power, I can hear the engine, etc. The reasons why are contained in my thread below, with pics, dyno chart, etc.

Yoshi TRC-D two outlet pipe?

Trialsguy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Jeff,

I recommend the Yoshi TRC-D muffler. Much lighter than stock, more power, I can hear the engine, etc. The reasons why are contained in my thread below, with pics, dyno chart, etc.

Yoshi TRC-D two outlet pipe?

Trialsguy
If you make the exhaust louder doesn't that make it harder to hear the engine?

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you make the exhaust louder doesn't that make it harder to hear the engine?
I can hear what the engine is doing by carefully listening to sound that exits the exhaust outlet. I can hear the result of the engine loading or unloading and responding to the throttle plates opening or closing, and responding to the actual load that it is placed under. For example - opening the throttle while exiting an uphill curve, etc. By listening to the subtle changes going on in the exhaust note, it allows me to better picture what the engine is doing and how it is dealing with the demands that I am putting on it.

It is for "entertainment value" for me, more than anything else. It's just fun. The engine sounds remind me of the sounds that I heard when I use to attend local oval car races back in the '70's. It difficult to explain, but for me, the sounds somehow turn into mechanical pictures in my head. No, really.

At the same time, my ear plugs are filtering out the higher frequency sounds, such as the valve train, counter-ballancer, drive chain, etc.

Last edited by trialsguy; 03-24-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I can hear what the engine is doing by carefully listening to sound that exits the exhaust outlet. I can hear the result of the engine loading or unloading and responding to the throttle plates opening or closing, and responding to the actual load that it is placed under. For example - opening the throttle while exiting an uphill curve, etc. By listening to the subtle changes going on in the exhaust note, it allows me to better picture what the engine is doing and how it is dealing with the demands that I am putting on it.

It is for "entertainment value" for me, more than anything else. It's just fun. The engine sounds remind me of the sounds that I heard when I use to attend local oval car races back in the '70's. It difficult to explain, but for me, the sounds somehow turn into mechanical pictures in my head. No, really.

At the same time, my ear plugs are filtering out the higher frequency sounds, such as the valve train, counter-ballancer, drive chain, etc.
Wow! Your hearing must be light years than mine or that of my cat. And his hearing is spectacular, although he knows jack squat about engines.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Commenting Reference to OP Question

Some times commenting strictly to see your own comments or to lighten the mood, may be taken the wrong way, especially if you have been following the same poster from another thread. That could be referred to as trolling, I am sure this isn't the case here, however my yellow flag just went up
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jschmitt0715 Send a message via MSN to jschmitt0715
I appreciate the advice!

Here's a suggestion - SAVE your $. Stick w/ your stocker as you won't get enough extra power to make it worthwhile, and that way you won't p!ss off your neighbors...![/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode