Downsized from Kawasaki Concours 1000 to Versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By nathanawill
  • 1 Post By nathanawill
  • 1 Post By nathanawill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Downsized from Kawasaki Concours 1000 to Versys 650

Hey everyone. I sold my 2000 Kawasaki Concours 1000 and bought a 2015 Versys 650LT. The C10 was a good bike but had some problems. Namely, too much engine heat prohibited any summer riding...strictly fall/spring. Too aggressive seating position without highway pegs made it not suitable for long distance travel. I like the relaxed position of the Versys and I can ride it longer without fatigue. Also the Versys handles much better in town. The only downside is that I miss the 1000cc motor, as the 650 makes me shift more frequently than I am used to. Perhaps I should have sprung for the Versys 1000. I'll post pics soon because I've already made lots of upgrades.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:00 PM

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome From Canada

to the forum, not sure what rpm your old bike red lined at, however on my 07 with a 16 tooth front sprocket I could break any speed limit in Canada in second gear, so the other 4 gears were sort of extra. Many that have never ridden this type of bike are not use to the normal cruising RPM of around 6500 RPM, this motor will run all day at 8000 RPM . I have said this before, on my 15 I hit the rev limiter which is 10500 RPM, about once per ride ( most rides are 300KM minimum ) Just in case your not sure, I won't ever see 66 again!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Garage
Had a Versys 650 which was a great bike It hauled my big butt ( 285lbs ) with out issues. Then went to an FJR and knew i made a mistake. Could never make the FJR comfortable not matter what i did to it. Test rode the Versys 1000 and traded the FJR in on one. I do miss the shaft drive and electronic adjustable windscreen but Love the V-1000 Handles like a much lighter bike....

P1010685 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Weljo2001 - Yes I dearly miss my old shaft drive also. So smooth for all day riding. I've noticed that the only way to usually get a shaft drive bike is to get something 1000cc or larger. I feel like there's a hole in the market for a small, light-weight bike that is shaft driven (although I'm assuming that it would be unnecessarily expensive).
weljo2001 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is a pic of my bike. You can see some of my initial mods. More to come. By far the best decision I made was the Givi Airflow windshield. I can cruise at 80mph+ with my visor open. No wind on my face. Zero buffeting against my helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3353.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	117098  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
.... I have said this before, on my 15 I hit the rev limiter which is 10500 RPM, about once per ride ( most rides are 300KM minimum ) Just in case your not sure, I won't ever see 66 again!
onewizard - you GOTTA learn how to shift gears before you BREAK your engine...!

(I don't believe that I've "red-lined" any of my three V 650s....)

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 PM

I sold my C-10 Connie with 234,xxx miles on it, still running like a scalded cat. I had farkled it quite heavily to make it fit me. I've had more than a dozen 900+ mile days on it, one day was just over 1300 miles. Russell seat, tubular handlebar conversion and cruise all helped a bunch.

I bought the '15 650LT last October and I like it. I've done a couple of 500+ mile days on it and had about a 1000 miles of fun in the TN NC mountains so far. Heading to Big Bend, AR, and NC next month, should be a 6000+ trip. Seat Concepts seat, cruise control and high pegs have helped. I don't miss the extra 175lbs that the C-10 carried.

Have fun, from one of the Florida Steves.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 AM

Welcome to the forum from another convert from a C10. It was a great bike, but bigger than I needed or wanted. Love my '09 Versys. Most fun I've had on 2 wheels in a long time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Steve, I couldn't find a way to make the Connie comfortable for all day. The key would have been a functional highway peg, but I saw some with pegs and due to the angle of the large fairing they seemed to get in the way. Combo'd with the immense engine heat blowing on me helped me decide to downsize to my Versys....glad I did. It's much more fun
weljo2001 likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Garage
I know what you mean about the engine.... had to sell my Connie, it was a hazard to my license. if you drive it by the sound you are breaking the law. 70-75 on the highway in top gear you're not even in the power band.... and still 6000 RPM below redline

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode