Brit riding from Houston to Alaska this summer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Hi all, after much deliberation I have bought a 2015 Versys 650 LT from a dealer in Texas and shall be picking it up on 1st March. I live in the UK but my son lives in Houston and will be on the registration docs as the owner (it was complicated for a non resident to be the owner for some reason).

Anyway, I am riding up to meet an old RAF mate in Truckee (near Lake Tahoe) and we plan to continue north to Alaska (or as far as we can get!) in July this year.

I have a few questions and need to make some modifications but thought I would say hello here first.

ps great to be able to drag and drop - I ride a BMW R1200RT in the UK but the forum is a nightmare to add photos!

Looks like I need 2 posts here before I can post elsewhere so maybe someone can advise reference getting the bike insured?

I am from the UK but have bought a bike in Houston where my son lives. I can get "tourist" insurance cover for a maximum of 90 days (which will be ok as a fall back) but I would like a proper annual policy as the bike will be left with my son in Houston and needs theft protection...

I have tried Geico's online system but they need a US drivers license number. I called them and they tell me I am ok for 30 days but after that I need a US license. Has anyone any experience of this and can advise?

My son has a US license but not for a motorcycle. I was thinking about him being the policy holder and me being a named driver?
Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Have your son take a motorcycle course & get his license.
"Give" him the bike, then insure & tag it under his name with you being an additional rider on the insurance.
Good thinking - although he is mad busy just now and he wont be able to do it before I leave on the trip...

I have contacted a US insurance broker and hopefully he will find a solution.

My son rang his insurance company and they are very "conservative" and recommended Progressive. I used the online chat (I am in the UK) and they were not remotely concerned about my UK license and the online application even included a drop down for "foreign" license. I have kept a transcript of the conversation just in case!! So, all good and the insurance is now sorted out with my son as the registered keeper in Houston. Thanks for the heads up..

I am picking the bike up from a dealer in a place called Lufkin - (near Houston) on Friday 3rd March and I hope all the "admin" is ok.

I shall start a new thread with a few questions I have but many thanks for the help so far. It is much appreciated!

John

Hi, I have posted successfully in the member introductions section but I am unable to post elsewhere. I have a total of 4 posts so far. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	versys.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	115177   Click image for larger version

Name:	versys 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	115185   Click image for larger version

Name:	versys 3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	115193  

Last edited by onewizard; 02-17-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I need 2 posts here before I can post elsewhere so maybe someone can advise reference getting the bike insured?

I am from the UK but have bought a bike in Houston where my son lives. I can get "tourist" insurance cover for a maximum of 90 days (which will be ok as a fall back) but I would like a proper annual policy as the bike will be left with my son in Houston and needs theft protection...

I have tried Geico's online system but they need a US drivers license number. I called them and they tell me I am ok for 30 days but after that I need a US license. Has anyone any experience of this and can advise?

My son has a US license but not for a motorcycle. I was thinking about him being the policy holder and me being a named driver?
Any thoughts?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 AM

"Give" him the bike, then insure & tag it under his name with you being an additional rider on the insurance.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 AM

Congrats on the bike. There are some real deals out there on the 2015 left-overs. You will not be disappointed in the bike.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Good thinking - although he is mad busy just now and he wont be able to do it before I leave on the trip...

I have contacted a US insurance broker and hopefully he will find a solution.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quite a few of us may have some useful information for you....... As the ride to Alaska has been done by some and I am currently living in Alaska... What specific questions do you have? Feel free to PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post

Any thoughts?

You can have the bike in your sons name with out a motorcycle license and get insurance for you on the bike. I've done that with AAA....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks - great advice!

My son rang his insurance company and they are very "conservative" and recommended Progressive. I used the online chat (I am in the UK) and they were not remotely concerned about my UK license and the online application even included a drop down for "foreign" license. I have kept a transcript of the conversation just in case!! So, all good and the insurance is now sorted out with my son as the registered keeper in Houston. Thanks for the heads up..

I am picking the bike up from a dealer in a place called Lufkin - (near Houston) on Friday 3rd March and I hope all the "admin" is ok.

I shall start a new thread with a few questions I have but many thanks for the help so far. It is much appreciated!

John
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post

Any thoughts?
I use "DAIRYLAND" Insurance for my AZ bike - I'm a Canuck...! About $230/ year.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode