New 08 Versys Owner, looking for some tips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New 08 Versys Owner, looking for some tips

Hey Guys,

So I bought my first non-cruiser bike, a 2008 Versys 650, and I'm looking for some insight on it. For starters, is being at 5k rpm on the interstate normal? I'm used to much fewer revs, though I understand the "sport" type power-trains operate differently (I'm running a 16 tooth drive sprocket also). My intention is to make this into an adventure-touring ride, with emphasis on the touring part. I've read a little bit to know they can be used in such a way. Off the top of my head I'm planning on I'm purchasing an Airhawk cruiser pad (I've heard of the horrors of the stock seat), SW Mototech engine guards for protection and to mount highway pegs, some luggage, hand guards, and a taller windshield. There's so many luggage options I don't really know where to start, same with hand guards, but I'm looking at the California Scientific windshield to put on. Do you necessarily need the tallest windshield for wind protection? I see there are shorter ones with some kind of adjustable deflector, and I'm curious on how well those work. Just looking to see what input you guys have.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Zarathustra; 02-15-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:07 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
5k rpm is fine, thats right around the start of the power ban anyway but if your going to do alot of highway/ long trips you can do the +1 front sprocket that a few inmates here have done,

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 AM

Welcome to the Versys world

I also recently acquired a 08 V650 that came with a givi windshield taller than the stock one and I had to trim 10cm out of it because the buffeting above 130Km/hour was crazy( I'm 1.80m / 5'11"). Now I have pretty good protection at chest level and free wind at helmet with no buffeting.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and 5000 rpm is fine and gives you that extra punch when you give it a squirt 6k to 8k rpm
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses guys, that makes me more comfortable about the revs. As far as the windscreen goes, I'm 5'9", so is there a way to tell what will be the optimum height or just trial and error?

2008 Versys 650

"Rest, nature, books, music… such is my idea of happiness."
- Leo Tolstoy

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, that makes me more comfortable about the revs. As far as the windscreen goes, I'm 5'9", so is there a way to tell what will be the optimum height or just trial and error?
I've had my '08 since new, and I've tried lots of stuff on this bike over the years. I'm 5'9", but most of my height is in my legs.

There are lots of threads on the forum on windshields and seat, etc. None of them are really conclusive, because its pretty much a matter of personal preference.

My current favorite windshield is a V-Stream windscreen with a bolt on MRA wind deflector on top. This cuts most of the buffeting. The custom molded ear plugs I had fitted cut out most if not all the wind noise. And a Yoshi exhaust allows me to hear the engine again.

I plan to try the MRA on my Givi windshield next, when I get time.

I put a Corbin seat on it the first summer I had it. I plan on selling my Seat Concepts seat on this forum soon. I used it for two 20 minute rides.

I changed out my Givi hard bags and racks for soft bags, as they are much lighter.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:08 AM

I have a Gen III and a cruiser medium Air Hawk (the old style). The Air Hawk really doesn't help with the Versys seat problem. Most of the complaints come from the angle of the seat which allows you to slide forward too far and crush things against the fuel tank. The Air Hawk doesn't "do" anything for that. The seat nose rise fix and or re-shape (I did both and it works) makes it great. I can do 300 miles with no problem but I will carry the Air Hawk on the long rides just to give the tush a break once in a while.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Where did you find the bags? Do they require side supports? Also, where do you get the top case support structure? I looked at Revzilla and it seems like your buy the support brackets, top case plate, and top case all separately.

2008 Versys 650

- Leo Tolstoy

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Where did you find the bags? Do they require side supports? Also, where do you get the top case support structure? I looked at Revzilla and it seems like your buy the support brackets, top case plate, and top case all separately.
I my side bags are Coretech from Revzilla. I fabricated simple side supports based on photos I saw on this forum (or the UK V forum?). I made it out of a piece of 2" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum trim, bent in a "U" shape, and anchored to the threaded reflector mounts on the bike frame. I added a vertical support at the rear to stiffen up the unit and prevent any sway. It works great, even with overloaded bags. I removed the support from the bike in order to paint it flat black recently, but now it's too cold to paint so it will have to wait until spring.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Right on. It's funny because I'm a certified welder, but I'm going to MMI and in an apartment so no fabricating for me. Thanks for the info though.

2008 Versys 650

- Leo Tolstoy

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Right on. It's funny because I'm a certified welder, but I'm going to MMI and in an apartment so no fabricating for me. Thanks for the info though.
Understood.

The fabrication of my light weight bag "stand off rack" involved a vise, hacksaw, file and a drill. Ah, ...and my band saw, used to make a "buck" to bend the aluminum around into a U shape.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
...same with hand guards, but I'm looking at the California Scientific windshield to put on. Do you necessarily need the tallest windshield for wind protection?...
I use a taller 'shield during the cooler or wetter weather, then run the short OEM one when it's hot. I also put ZETA XC handguards on BOTH my Gen 1s, and remove the plastic bits when it gets warmer (to get cooling airflow over my hands).

Quote:
...I'm 5'9", so is there a way to tell what will be the optimum height or just trial and error?
I TOO am 5'9" - trial and error...! I made two of these from Yamaha Majesty scooter windscreens....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks FastEddie. I ordered a MRA VarioTouringScreen with the deflector so I'll see how that turns out. Those Zeta's are pretty rad too, I'll probably get myself a set. What kind of luggage is that? Do you have a support for it or just let it hang?

2008 Versys 650

- Leo Tolstoy

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks FastEddie. I ordered a MRA VarioTouringScreen with the deflector so I'll see how that turns out. Those Zeta's are pretty rad too, I'll probably get myself a set. What kind of luggage is that? Do you have a support for it or just let it hang?
They are FIELDSHEER, and I had a support that one of the Forum inmates used to make, but ultimately ended up w/ aluminum panniers for BOTH my Gen 1s.

The US bike has "TUSK" panniers. MUCH cheaper than the Canadian ones.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM

I had an 08 Red bike and loved it! I put frame sliders on it an added Givi hard saddlebags in black. I hope you enjoy yours!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Here is a pic of my 08 loaded for a two week trip. You can see my Givi saddlebags - they looked great !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08Versys_loaded_up.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	115289  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh those panniers are killer Eddie. I didn't know there was an alternative to the "arm-and-leg" sw motech and givi aluminum ones. I found some online, how did you end up mounting them? Thanks KV, your rig looks sweet.

2008 Versys 650

- Leo Tolstoy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode