New to Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyhogg
  • 1 Post By Skyhogg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

New to Versys

I bought my '16 650LT back in April to give my son something to ride on a cross-country trip with me (NC to the Grand Canyon/Vegas and back). His Ninja is NOT a touring bike by any means. I was torn between the Versys and the 650 V-Strom, but they had the LT at the basic Versys MSRP, and that provided factory bags and handguards for a few hundred less than the basic Suzuki. As expected the Versys held up very well on the trip. He dumped it in a sharply sloping parking lot in Denver (I guess he's not used to tall bikes), but otherwise the trip was flawless. I rode my '05 ElectraGlide on the trip, but I plan to use the Versys as a semi-AD bike. I know there are better machines for that, but I was looking for something comfortable over long distances, not too heavy, and reasonably priced. In the '70's I made a number of long distance trips on my CB450, so I knew a modern 650 would hold up well, and I avoid interstates whenever practical so I don't need triple-digit speeds. However, we proved the Versys will do the ton without any problems. I enjoy solo camping so the Versys will see a lot of back roads, sometimes unpaved. For the coming summer trip to Nova Scotia I plan to add a tail bag, centerstand, engine guards and aux lighting as well as switching to 70/30 or 80/20 tires. A skid plate may or may not be added, but if not for this summer then for the next.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

New to Versys

I guess I'm supposed to start my own thread to get started in this forum, so here goes:
I've been riding since '75 and my real passion is vintage and antique bikes. I like US, Euro and Asian bikes. I mean, two (and somtimes 3) wheels is all I need to apprectate them whatever the make, year, or style.
As for my joining this forum, I bought my '16 650LT back in April to give my son something to ride on a cross-country trip with me (NC to the Grand Canyon/Vegas and back). His Ninja is NOT a touring bike by any means. I was torn between the Versys and the 650 V-Strom, but they had the LT at the basic Versys MSRP, and that provided factory bags and handguards for a few hundred less than the basic Suzuki. As expected the Versys held up very well on the trip. He dumped it in a sharply sloping parking lot in Denver (I guess he's not used to tall bikes), but otherwise the trip was flawless. I rode my '05 ElectraGlide on the trip, but I plan to use the Versys as a semi-AD bike. I know there are better machines for that, but I was looking for something comfortable over long distances, not too heavy, and reasonably priced. In the '70's I made a number of long distance trips on my CB450, so I knew a modern 650 would hold up well, and I avoid interstates whenever practical so I don't need triple-digit speeds. However, we proved the Versys will do the ton without any problems. I enjoy solo camping so the Versys will see a lot of back roads, sometimes unpaved. For this coming summer trip to Nova Scotia I plan to add a tail bag, centerstand, engine guards and aux lighting as well as switching to 70/30 or 80/20 tires. A skid plate may or may not be added, but if not for this summer then for the next.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM

Sounds like you have your summer all planned out already! Safe travels.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Garage
The Versys will handle lots of highway easily. I rode my 09 from Texas To Cali mid-summer loaded down running speeds mostly 80-95mph. The bike seems happy at those speeds. I did have a 16T Front Sprocket on it which i preferred over the 15T...

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Garage
For solo travelling the Versys 650LT is all anyone really needs. Anything more is just wants over needs.

So far, the Versys is the only bike I have owned that I could see myself going back to in the future.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Skyhogg

Nova Scotia is awsome. My wife and I made that trip from south Ms. on a 03 Harley fxst. Be sure to do the loop on cape Breton, and If you camp, Meat Cove is the place.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Welcome and enjoy the ride..........
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Skyhogg

Nova Scotia is awsome. My wife and I made that trip from south Ms. on a 03 Harley fxst. Be sure to do the loop on cape Breton, and If you camp, Meat Cove is the place.
SkyPilot
Meat Cove is definitely on my list of places. Their website has a vid of the camp taken from a drone, so that will be my turn-around stopover before heading back down south.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Nova Scotia is awsome.
[snip]
Absolutely agreed! We took the old ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, banged around the southern end a bit, very much enjoyed the games at Festival Antigonish, and fell in love with Cape Breton (be sure to go counter-clockwise) before heading off to PEI. Back then in the early 90s, we stayed in B&Bs for our Canada portion (because they really were just a room and a meal and were very affordable) and really enjoyed getting to know folks for a day or two at a time.

David T-G
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhogg View Post
SkyPilot
Meat Cove is definitely on my list of places. Their website has a vid of the camp taken from a drone, so that will be my turn-around stopover before heading back down south.
Why turnaround? Follow the loop all the way round.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtg View Post
...fell in love with Cape Breton (be sure to go counter-clockwise) before heading off to PEI....
And I would suggest you want to go around the Cabot Trail CW (recommended to me by Cape Bretoners on my first time - IF you go down and are sliding, it gives you an EXTRA lane BEFORE you slide over the cliff...!).

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode