Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Joining the Versys Family

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Rawkstar320 
#1 ·
I've finally joined the Versys Family! I picked up a 2015 green versys just this past weekend and can't wait to start adding a mods. Will probably start with hand guards, as I am in a challenge with a Harley guy to see who can ride further into the season - Michigan mornings can be quite cold in October/November!

My wife's 2014 Ninja finally has a friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome: These are better than hand guards for keeping the cold off your hands....Used them on the Versys and FJR add heated grips and its even better.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

#4 ·
:welcome: aboard!

I put Zeta XC guards onto both my Gen 1 Vs, and find the plastic bits keep a lot of cold away from my hands during the cold-weather. I remove them when it's warm, and even 'modded' the Kawi guards on my Gen 3 to make them easier to remove.

#8 ·
Welcome aboard. Joe likes those great big mittens, but he lives in sunny Cal??? Just giving him trouble. He is a great resource for all the things you can do to a V. I attached pics of what I did, and with the guards, and the heated grips, I can ride with regular gloves down to low temps. On the guards, some people chided me for getting a style that only connects at one end, but they have a metal spine, and the big thing is to protect the bar and the levers. Also, I love mine since I got the blinker insert. Those are Grip Buddies that I have over my heated Oxford grips, and the heat comes thorough just fine.

Attachments

#12 ·
Welcome aboard!

I have been mystified by all this heated hand grip stuff on the forum. I have the factory handguards and decent AlpineStars winter gloves. I ride comfortably down to freezing temps. True, my commute is only 35 minutes mostly on the highway, but I don't have a problem with cold hands.

#13 ·
I hate riding with thick gloves. So i use the handlebar mitts and summer gloves..Haven't needed the heated grips in the last couple of years but they are in the garage in case they are ever needed

#14 · (Edited)
I've finally joined the Versys Family! I picked up a 2015 green versys just this past weekend and can't wait to start adding a mods. Will probably start with hand guards, as I am in a challenge with a Harley guy to see who can ride further into the season - Michigan mornings can be quite cold in October/November!
Welcome.

Think you should install some heated grips if you are riding in the cooler weather. Oxford are excellent and AME seem to get good reviews as well. Found hand guards have a minimal effect on keeping your hands warm. I live north of you and find nothing beats a heated jacket liner for cool weather riding - with adv. gear jacket and pants over top I'm good to 0C/32F.

I have been mystified by all this heated hand grip stuff on the forum. I have the factory handguards and decent AlpineStars winter gloves. I ride comfortably down to freezing temps. True, my commute is only 35 minutes mostly on the highway, but I don't have a problem with cold hands.
If your core is cold, it will shut down blood flow to your limbs, to keep the important organs warm, giving you cold hands. Time is also a factor as you will lose heat to the wind over time in cold weather. Speed is another factor, the faster you go the more wind, and the faster you will lose body heat in cool weather. I don't get that cold in city riding but highway riding at temps below 50F/10C chills me to the bone without heated gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.