Just got a green 2015 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By chrisfla1
  • 1 Post By BreckRider
  • 1 Post By chrisfla1
  • 2 Post By Duffy
  • 2 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Just got a green 2015 Versys

I haven't had a Japanese bike since 2007, and it was a Wee-Strom that I got rid of fairly quickly. I've been riding various Harleys ever since. But I really liked the Versys (and the color as well) and I'm looking forward to putting some serious mileage on it.

But for the farkles' sake, does anyone know the diameter of the handlebars and the thickness of the metal they're made from? I'm having a problem with the vibration and plan to install a barsnake.

Thanks.
3dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM

Congratulations on your new ride.

Which one did you get? 1000 cc or the 650 ?

Be sure to post up some pictures when you get a chance.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 AM

Garage
Welcome! Enjoy your green machine.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Garage
Welcome,

Green is the fastest color! Have fun and be safe.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
But for the farkles' sake, does anyone know the diameter of the handlebars and the thickness of the metal they're made from? I'm having a problem with the vibration and plan to install a barsnake.

Thanks.
I got the dial calipers out and went to the garage. The bar is 7/8" outside diameter.

If the barsnake website is accurate, the standard "Bar Snake Model ST-1" should be the right size. "Fits most standard steel non high rise bars of 7/8" outside diameter. Most steel bars should be about 23/32" inside diameter and 40" long. $36.95"

About the Bar Snake!

Mel

Last edited by 3dog; 08-19-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
I got the dial calipers out and went to the garage. The bar is 7/8" outside diameter.

If the barsnake website is accurate, the standard "Bar Snake Model ST-1" should be the right size. "Fits most standard steel non high rise bars of 7/8" outside diameter. Most steel bars should be about 23/32" inside diameter and 40" long. $36.95"

About the Bar Snake!
Then I read the "ordering page" and they want to know the wall thickness. I don't know that. Do you just take the bar ends off to measure that? i still have the calipers in hand...

Mel

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Garage
Taking this upon myself to answer this question, I removed the bar end and the grip from the brake lever side. Seems that it is all welded up. I'm not smart enough to solve this one. Maybe the pour in, liquid barsnake?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-19 12.44.45.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	96929  

Mel

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:31 PM

Garage
Welcome.

The 2015+ are pretty darn smooth, maybe give it some time and see if you get used to it? Maybe your throttle bodies need synced. There shouldn't be much vibration. It would be interesting if you could ride a different 2015 Versys and compare.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

ell, I ordered gel grips for it to see if that helps any. I had this problem years ago, with an 800 Suzuki Intruder. I continued to ride it, and my arms got numb to the elbow. I told my doctor, "ALL motorcycles vibrate! Why am I having this problem with THIS bike?" He told me the PITCH of the vibration was very high and buzzy, and that's what messed up my hands/wrists so bad. I had to quit riding for a YEAR until the pain went away! I got rid of the Intruder and rode (except for the Strom, which I only kept for a year) Harleys from then on because their clunky vibration doesn't bother me.

But I'm not giving up on this bike until I'm sure I can't fix it somehow. I'm trying the gel grips first because they're cheap :-) Wish me luck!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the "fix" for your hands going to sleep is as simple as SLIGHTLY changing the angle of the handle-bars, even a few degrees.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:31 PM

Congratulations on your new green 2015! I've got one in that color too and love it.

As to your numb hands, I found that any vibration that I was getting diminished as I broke in the bike. It seemed to get better and better as the miles accumulated.

Also some adjustment in my riding posture like not leaning on my hands/wrists helped me a lot. I also, being a new rider, relaxed my death grip on the bars!

Good luck with the new bike and congratulations!
chrisfla1 likes this.

I used to be Cojacket on the forums now I'm BreckRider!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

You're right -- as I continued to ride it, the vibration minimized, and I found I didn't have to change anything at all.
onewizard likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Welcome........green is the fastest color BTW. I recently switched from an 05' Vulcan 1500 Classic to the 2015 Versys 650 LT (much lighter bike) and some of the "comfort" mods I made were 3.5 risers, and Grip Buddies (along with others). The vibration didn't bother me but the small diameter of the grips after Kury's was annoying. Grip Buddies make them "fatter" and much easier to hold. The risers allowed for less pressure on my wrists. Old men need their comfort.
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Garage
So, do you still have a Harley or are you all Kawasaki now?

If green is offered when I am buying, I buy green when buying Kawasaki. Almost traded my '11 in on a '14 to get ABS and green.

When buying Yamaha I prefer blue or yellow.

Honda, red.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 AM

WHO doesn't like green ???
onewizard and Duffy like this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode