Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hello From Cincinnati - Please Help

5K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Urbanengineer 
#1 ·
Hello Members of KawiVersys.com,

I found a great deal on a Versys and decided to go pick it up. It marks my first ever "touring bike" and I hope I can use it to go the long distances I used to take on the sportbike. The ride home on it was great, just the tires were terrible (Pilot Road 2 2010 Build date). I have Bridgestone BT023's on the way to replace those.

I went through the bike when I bought it checking things like Valve clearances and fluid condition and the bike checks out GREAT. All valves in specified range as indicated by the information on the side of the gas tank. I lubed up all my cables using the motion pro luber and they are very slick now. I also lubed up the throttle body springs on the right side of the bike.

BUT!

That's where I think it all went wrong. I am now getting a code 62 in dealer mode 1 and my bike is making crazy sounds when keyed on (K-Switch (KS)) in off or on. I've narrowed down the dealer code to say it is the Subthrottle Valve Actuator.

Upon reading many many many other threads on this topic across multiple Kawasaki sites it seems those subthrottle valve actuators are very sensitive to fluids, especially high power water. I know I sprayed aerosol lubricating oil onto the spring holding the actuator. I assume this is the problem. I tried spraying compressed air into the same location but I continue to have the problem on power on. Not sure what to do to fix it I really need your help (the forum) as I've exhausted all other options. I'm thinking I need to buy another throttle body off of eBay.

:|

You can see the process for testing the subthrottle on the service manual in the Digital Fuel Injection section: FUEL SYSTEM (DFI) 3-71.

I followed the exact steps in their but it doesn't lead me to a solution. Both the Subthrottle Valve Actuator Resistance and the peak voltage are in spec, but the unit seems to be malfunctioning still. Please help.

Here is a video Highlighting the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6jT-ZwfIc&feature=youtu.be

See less See more
#9 ·
I replaced the whole throttle body assembly, same issue, but newer throttle body. Followed the DFI troubleshooting guide to the end, making a tool on my own to test maximum voltage out of the actuator. Nothing to a fault went wrong... So the last step in the DFI troubleshooting procedure is replacing the ECU... GREAT! Heading to pick that up today :(.

#12 ·
It will run, but I had to remove the subthrottle plates as the bikes default setting is CLOSED in the upper valves, meaning the bike would run like ****e at high RPM. I removed them on the OLD Throttle Body, and it ran fine for 1100 miles. I've recently (see post) replace the TB and it STILL is having that issue. I am following the DFI troubleshooting section Error 62 Subthrottle Actuator Valve.

NOW I am going to replace the ECU, as recommended by the Manual. Great.

Sorry to see you have issues with your Versys. I however am glad you posted the video, i have been hearing a weird high pitch sound from my bike since i got it. Gladly you have the same high pitch. So in all it means i'm not going crazy.
If you have an FI light on, and it makes this wonderful noise, you have a bigger problem on your hands. If it just kinda wheezes or w/e, that is just the fuel pump priming. That is standard procedure.

Thanks for the feels. It doesn't prevent riding, but I hate Christmas tree vehicles (trouble lights). I ride the GSXR for now, and it sucks donkeyballs in ergonomics compared to the Versys.

#13 · (Edited)
I would tend to suspect a cabling issue or connector issue before an ECU issue. Thing is the ECU is a primitive computer so it usually either works or does not work. It will not usually fail in just one area like actuation of the sub throttle unless there is an issue with one of the output D to A converters.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#14 ·
So I opened up the whole loom and followed the wires back, and no dice, it's all good. Connectors are good and the wiring makes it across all the connections (tested with taps, to check voltage across).

Checked the TB's to make sure they both were aligned correctly, no problem there.

I'm at a loss and hope the ECU fixes it. Else, I'll disable F>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)G LED for FI codes.

Attachments

#16 ·
Your ECU is shot! When you turn the ignition on, that sensor or what you call actuator is doing a test run of full closed then full open and then it is suppose to set where it is needed to be at the time. It is not doing the sequence properly and just repeating the test thus throwing the code. If you never removed the sensor and you even swapped to another throttle body set with their included sensor, then the sensor is not the problem. And that sensor reads directly to the ECU leaving the ECU as the culprit.

However, if you have removed that sensor at any time on either throttle body set or reused it, then there is a different issue and I can help you fix that.

#18 ·
So.

Let's just say I ordered an eBay Throttle body assembly pictured like this:

07 09 Kawasaki Versys 650 KLE650A Throttle Body Bodies | eBay

And.

Let's just say it showed up with all the tamper proof bolts removed, and the electronic pieces in a ziploc bag next to the throttle body...

Even though there was room in the box to NOT take these off.

Would you be mad?

I bought it because it was in one piece and removing the actuator valve piece pretty much in my opinion rendered this useless. Well, I still have my OEM TB, and when I get my ECU in the mail I am not sure what TB to use. So please, help me so I can help others later in the future about this.

#22 ·
09-10 ECU DOES NOT fit 07-08 *cry*.

More delay.

Also, I was getting a new helmet sized today and the salesman told me I can't use the Versys for off roading. Does he sell bikes for a living? Is he really telling me what I can't do with my bike? I won't be buying a bike from him.

Some people... I swear.

Attachments

#24 ·
^Hell yeah! That is what I'm talking about. Are you fast Eddie, the asian guy who owns a moto shop near Chicago, IL?

Alright.......... ECU replaced with a genuine 2008 Kawi Versys... Saw the bike startup and run........ still fails.......... On to the next step of troubleshooting.

#28 ·
So after four weeks of hell, and some great information from u/Rebel13 I was able to get this fixed. I'll post up a guide on this later with pictures, as there is NOTHING about code 62's out there.

Pretty much came down to a bad subthrottle actuator, not a bad ECU. It decided to up and die the day I did all the work on the bike, I still have no clue why that day was the day it decided to go crazy.

I pretty much had to remove the actuator, spin it, hold it with a needle, and place the actuator at 90* and line up the bolt hole. Once it was aligned it was like new. This was with the new TB btw.

The old TB didn't respond well to the same methods. I have a brick TB now... GREAT.

So I'm back on the road zipping around again WITH NO F****** RED FI LIGHT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks again Rebel13.

#30 ·
So, basically the actuator was "out of sync"? It sounds as if that was the case.

Did you find "how to" steps, to successfully duplicate and resolve? I could foresee this happening to someone else in the future.

Just to gain knowledge, did the second set of throttle bodies have the same issue (actuator out of sync)?

Thanks for sharing and Rebel13's help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.