Versys rear end shake - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

8Likes
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 4 Post By Gigitt
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Versys rear end shake

Hi, new member here. I have just bought my first brand new 2014 Versys 650 out of the box (old stock). I saw a post by another member and I too have experienced the same rear end issue. When I am in a corner and decelerate by changing down gears, the rear end gives a little sideways wobble, especially when changing from 3rd to 2nd. I am not changing down hard and the revs only go from 4000rpm to 5000rpm when I change down. My bike is the non-ABS model, I have checked both tyre pressures and I only have 1200 km on the clock, so it cant be tyre wear. Everything is still stock from the factory, including the suspension settings. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Hi, new member here. I have just bought my first brand new 2014 Versys 650 out of the box (old stock). I saw a post by another member and I too have experienced the same rear end issue. When I am in a corner and decelerate by changing down gears, the rear end gives a little sideways wobble, especially when changing from 3rd to 2nd. I am not changing down hard and the revs only go from 4000rpm to 5000rpm when I change down. My bike is the non-ABS model, I have checked both tyre pressures and I only have 1200 km on the clock, so it cant be tyre wear. Everything is still stock from the factory, including the suspension settings. Any thoughts?
I got a 2012 new in 2014, and my oem tires were donuts in 7k miles. I got the step up Dunlop Roadsmart II's and they have been wonderful for over 10k miles: wears round as a baby's butt and handles like glue. The oem suck big time. I run about 34/38 lbs air f/r, and others run higher.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t...torcycle-Tires

Unless you are a big guy, the stock shock should be fine. I got Progressive since I'm a happy Progressive customer (good hd shock for the money), but most don't need it. Try adjusting it. GET a manual on ebay for $10 or $20 dollars!

And 6k rpm is where your midrange cam kicks in, so you are dangerously close to breaking loose of the pavement when downshifting near where you are doing it at, esp with leaning on lumpy hard (old) tires, lol. ymmv.

Check your chain adjustment/lube and alignment to the rear sprocket too. 2014 model should be a smooth chassis to ride on compared to earlier years, esp. Gen 1.

And if you are a heavy chap, you might want to investigate different brake pad materials instead of oem steel bit pads: they are frictionless on ss discs.

POST A PIC of your bike! You have a nice model!
binderline likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-25-2016 at 04:56 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
hmmm stock cr@py tyres and changing down gear in a corner - there's your problem.

you should stay in gear in a corner...
downshifting will lighten the rear end as you have removed power traction... giving you less grip then once you are in a lower gear with higher rpm the engagement of the new gear can spin the rear wheel as it now has more power to it... can be the cause of the wobble you describe.

I'm 38xxxkm now on stock suspension and have never had rear end wobble - then again i don't downshift mid corner.

I think you need to look at you riding style than fix what is not the problem.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Stock Crappy Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
hmmm stock cr@py tyres and changing down gear in a corner - there's your problem.

downshifting will lighten the rear end as you have removed power traction... giving you less grip then once you are in a lower gear with higher rpm the engagement of the new gear can spin the rear wheel as it now has more power to it... can be the cause of the wobble you describe.

I'm 38xxxkm now on stock suspension and have never had rear end wobble - then again i don't downshift mid corner.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:

+1 for this. Look for a good article on cornering. The method is get rid of all your speed and do your downshifting in the straight line before the corner. Then look and lean in to the corner and lightly accelerate as you start the exit of the corner.
binderline likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

The following quote is NOT correct:

"And if you are a heavy chap, you might want to investigate different brake pad materials instead of oem steel bit pads: they are frictionless on ss discs."

OEM brakes are PDG!!!

Try matching revs when you downshift in a corner, and RELEASE the clutch lever gradually, rather than all at once....
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Welcome.

The following quote is NOT correct:

"And if you are a heavy chap, you might want to investigate different brake pad materials instead of oem steel bit pads: they are frictionless on ss discs."

OEM brakes are PDG!!!

How did I miss that load of rubbish!

I'm probably the most heavy set guy here 150+ kg
as @fasteddiecopeman says - Stock pads are good - there are Sintered HH
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
How did I miss that load of rubbish!

I'm probably the most heavy set guy here 150+ kg
as @fasteddiecopeman says - Stock pads are good - there are Sintered HH
330 lbs and 5'-4" tall, and no bike. Yep, you are a good source of information blowhard. You don't have a clue and couldn't reach the ground anyway if you had a Versys. Here is my bike, I ride EVERY day, methane breath (note the date stamp for REAL Versys riders with integrity that don't copy Advrider pics.)

Last edited by kawdog; 03-26-2016 at 10:19 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
330 lbs and 5'-4" tall, and no bike. Yep, you are a good source of information blowhard. You don't have a clue and couldn't reach the ground anyway if you had a Versys. Here is my bike, I ride EVERY day, methane breath (note the date stamp for REAL Versys riders with integrity that don't copy Advrider pics.)

You really are a tosser! full of misinformation and BS.
Please stop harassing the good folk here that have something positive and constructive to say to other owners.

You can't get anything right!
I'm 6' 4.5"/195cm and 330llbs/150kg

My bike has been posted here on the forums in many threads...

just for reference... my 2012 Versys
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:14 PM

Since you seem to be preoccupied with harassing me, shooting off your mouth repeating the obvious or total bs, I would not say you are good people. You have provided no evidence you have a Versys 650 and show no knowledge either that you have owned one. Your remarks are in left field, and I GD knew you would not have any date stamp on your pic: the sign of an Advrider. I prove I own one in what stage of development every time I post a pic; and usually I have about 3 or more projects going on, to now anyway (it's almost perfect now though.)

I tried to tell the new owner what I did when i got my bike to systemically cover all the bases: from Versys Owner to Versys Owner! You evidently don't know what it's like. You just shot your mouth off repeating the obvious after it was already posted several times (like we were all waiting for your assessment, LOL!) The bike is a system and not what you can figure out after reading 6 other posts at one point in time.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-26-2016 at 11:20 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Since you seem to be preoccupied with harassing me, shooting off your mouth repeating the obvious or total bs, I would not say you are good people. You have provided no evidence you have a Versys 650 and show no knowledge either that you have owned one. Your remarks are in left field, and I GD knew you would not have any date stamp on your pic: the sign of an Advrider. I prove I own one in what stage of development every time I post a pic; and usually I have about 3 or more projects going on, to now anyway (it's almost perfect now though.)

I tried to tell the new owner what I did when i got my bike to systemically cover all the bases: from Versys Owner to Versys Owner! You evidently don't know what it's like. You just shot your mouth off repeating the obvious after it was already posted several times (like we were all waiting for your assessment, LOL!) The bike is a system and not what you can figure out after reading 6 other posts at one point in time.

Good luck Troll...oolloollolllooooo
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Good luck Troll...oolloollolllooooo
Down syndrome is a bummer when you're house bound, huh?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Down syndrome is a bummer when you're house bound, huh?
Now that sounds like a personal attack.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Now that sounds like a personal attack.
No, "Good luck Troll...oolloollolllooooo" is a personal attack to a Versys Owner talking to other Versys owners being interrupted.

"Down syndrome is a bummer when you're house bound, huh?" is empathetic and trying to make you quit your child ego state posts: i.e. start talking adult to adult, with no psychological games. In other words, it is therapeutic. Am I the first person to give a damn about you?

I'm OK, You're OK: no child egos state psychological games needed or wanted on an Adult Versys Owner site. The first $200 of therapy was free. The rest will cost you: go ask Mama to wire me some money ($200.)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Hey James. Sorry the children got out of control on this thread. You upset the suspension by downshifting while leaned over.

I recommend you pick up a copy of "Total Control" by Lee Parks.

There are also some good videos on YouTube that describe cornering as well. Here is a couple sources I have not checked out. Twist of the Wrist I & II FREE PDF Plus Video

Watch Videos Online | A Twist of the Wrist 2 | Veoh.com

Also, do a little reading on "The Pace".
The Pace | Nick Ienatsch | Motorcyclist magazine

The Pace Riding Style - Pace Yourself | Riding Skills Series | Sport Rider

The stock tires are fine, but stickier tires can compensate for poor riding techniques.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:34 AM

Yesterday I felt the slight burble from the rear end as I entered a decreasing radius downhill exit ramp from the freeway. I was already entering the corner and rolled off the throttle. The weight moved forward a bit and the rear end did a little loop-de-loop. Not enough to cause concern, but enough to notice. Grooves in the concrete may have contributed some, too.

I've not felt this at other times on this bike. Maybe better tires would help reduce it some, too. I'm no expert but there was a definite connection to unweighting the rear wheel.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

kawdog - look for a PM from me, and heed it....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Did he went on and on about how EBC HH pads are a godsent gift to humanity because of their high copper content? Did he rambled about the conspiracy to get us to buy loads of replacement brake disks?

I did notice that:

- Brake pads were talked about.
- He requested pictures.
- Picture without timestamp was posted

So, did he do anything new or was it just good old kawdog?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Please Edit Your Posts

Quote:
No, "Good luck Troll...oolloollolllooooo" is a personal attack to a Versys Owner talking to other Versys owners being interrupted.

"Down syndrome is a bummer when you're house bound, huh?" is empathetic and trying to make you quit your child ego state posts: i.e. start talking adult to adult, with no psychological games. In other words, it is therapeutic. Am I the first person to give a damn about you?

I'm OK, You're OK: no child egos state psychological games needed or wanted on an Adult Versys Owner site. The first $200 of therapy was free. The rest will cost you: go ask Mama to wire me some money ($200.)
Looks like you need some sleep--your headlight protector was a good post--lets try for the same , something like ATGATT, but in posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode