2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 vs 2016 Honda NC750x - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 vs 2016 Honda NC750x

Hello, my name is Justin, have been riding a 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 classic for the pass 4 years. She has been my first and only motorcycle.

Here is my dilemma.

I am stuck between buying a 2016 kawasaki versys 650 or a 2016 honda nc750x (without dct).

They are both in the same category of motorcycle, they both received improvement where needed as mentioned by the consumer , they both come standard with abs, rear spring preload adjustability, both come with showa adjustable 41mm telescopic fork, both come with the same dimension front/rear tires, they both cost $8999 cdn...you get the point.

Honda makes more torque at 68Nm @ 4,750rpm vs Kawasaki at 64 Nm 7,000 rpm
Kawasaki more power at 51 kW @ 8,500 rpm vs Honda 40.3kW @ 6,250rpm

Honda has 14.1 L fuel tank
Kawasaki has 21 L fuel tank

Honda is not aesthetically pleasing like the Kawasaki

Honda has a more modern gauge

To me they both have their strong and weak points against each other

I feel as if the Kawasaki would be more fun, but the Honda would be more practical.

They will both get the same upgrades from me. Tail Tidy kit, Rigid Industries Led, hand guards and exhaust.

Anyway, I am wondering what is you guys opinion on both these motorcycle and which one would you pick if you had to chose between those two. I know whatever motorcycle that I pick I will make the most out of it and will not regret my decision, but I am curious to see others opinions and hear their experience on the subject.

Thank you

Justin

Last edited by Justin5; 03-04-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM

Garage
Well, since you are on a Versys forum MOST of us will recommend the Versys. My friend here in AK had an older (NON X) version of the NC750 for his wife. it seemed a tad tame compared to the Versys. I've not seen a newer X version, but if it is anything like the CB500X it should compare pretty well to the V. The rather SMALL fuel capacity would be the deal breaker for me. It all depends on which bike YOU feel more comfortable on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 03-04-2016 at 11:51 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 AM

Garage
Never ridden one but from what I read the Honda is a low revving, quiet commuter rather like a Honda Civic.
The Versys (comparatively) is fun, dances in the corners, commutes well is versatile and did I mention fun?
So to sum up what flavour do you like? fun? or boring commuter?
Disclaimer I could be biased.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Never ridden one but from what I read the Honda is a low revving, quiet commuter rather like a Honda Civic.
The Versys (comparatively) is fun, dances in the corners, commutes well is versatile and did I mention fun?
So to sum up what flavour do you like? fun? or boring commuter?
Disclaimer I could be biased.
I've ridden the Honda - BORING...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 AM

Last year I rode the Honda and it was passionless. Then I rode the Versys 650 and bought it. I would agree with the others it depends on what your mission is and which bike grabs you. If you're just looking for a suburban commuter, the Honda will do that mission fine. If it inspires you, then get it.

I think the Versys is a lot more fun and a lot more capable than the Honda. That's why I bought it.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 04:02 AM

Honda's make pragmatic machines if you are short, generally speaking (and I believe your Honda model has about 13" from the seat to foot-pegs.) But if you like living around cars, you need a bike that will move when you flip the throttle: without getting your rev's up while being in the right gear too.

Those few seconds could mean the difference between getting run over. That's why so many old geezer's like riding Versys 650's: we know what it takes to stay alive on the road (and we cramp up if our knees are folded over each other)!

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Garage
Unless Honda has really improved the suspension, brakes, seat, engine, and handling over the 700x, I would pass. I rode the 700 back to back against my '11 Versys. The only advantage for the honda was fuel economy. That bike had no soul.

Plus, you have to flip up the rear seat to put fuel in. Sucks if you have camping gear strapped down, which means no camping gear or anything else strapped down on the rear seat.

Also look at valve adjustment frequency between the two bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:38 AM

Garage
On my 7,800 km trip last Summer I rode with a buddy and his Honda NC750x. It was a pain at every fuel stop for him to have to adjust and move all his pillion stored gear in order to access his fuel filler. He loves the fuel economy and the way it makes power just fine around town. But, as for power, when you want/need to go - it ain't there. If the group is punching it on the ramp to hit the highway the Honda falls behind. Also, on the awesome 80 MPH highways out in Wyoming and South Dakota, the slightest headwind made the Honda just run out of steam. Full throttle and he could not keep up with my Versys while I cruised comfortably at 85/90 miles. That low-rev engine just has no top end.

I think the Honda is a good bike, but it has limitations that are not there on other bikes, like the Versys. So why?

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Banned

Versys wins on this forum, now try the Honda forum, but you'll need to wake them all up first!!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank guys, I appreciate the opinions that was giving. I am going to go over the Honda forum see what they think of the same dilemma.

What I heard so far was what I had expected. I wanted to hear from people who had the Versys and their thoughts on their motorcycle and their experience.

I did do my research and to me id rather keep in consideration before buying a product what actual owners say about their bike vs what is written down on papers (at the dealer).

I knew that the Kawasaki would triumph over the Honda on the Kawasaki forum and people asked me why I went on a Kawasaki forum asking about the NC750X VS Versys when clearly the Versys would win. I wanted to hear from the owners why they thought their bike was the better choice.

At the end of the day, I will put opinions against opinions and after test riding both motorcycle and keeping in mind what I heard from actual owners I will make a conclusion and from there buy one of the two.

Once again, thank you for taking time to answer my post.

Justin

Last edited by Justin5; 03-05-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin5 View Post
...Once again, thank you for taking time to answer my post.

Justin
I wrote-up the Honda when I did a long test-ride a few years back. For me the 'deal-breaker' was the gas filler UNDER the rear seat!

-

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:40 PM

The NC is also a fait bit smaller in the ergos. The tank knee pocket is I'd guess 2" lower than the Versys. I couldn't fit on the NC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:13 AM

I was in the same dilemma as you months ago.
Honda had some practical features but I ended up buying the Versys and I'm loving it although it is new and can't go further than 6000 rpm since yesterday lol
I guess Versys is better but I never rode the Honda.
Hope it helps.
Regards.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Garage
i had the same dilemma until i saw the NC in person, the bike looks cheap, and smaller. compared to the Versys.

GL - HF
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Garage
Maybe this will help

Here

LOP
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Maybe this will help

Here

LOP
Good review video, except it wasn't fair. It had the ultimate year and color of the Vs. 650.

A closer match would be the Honda V4 vfr800 and the Vs. 650. I test rode one, but it gave me knee cramps from the 1/2 mile test ride (and it was about $12.5K new.) It felt interesting with the power, but needed to be run at higher mph and rpm's than I could do around the block at the dealer. I did miss my turn a couple of times, until my knees started to go into constant spasms.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Banned

Exclamation

I think you'll find that as he said, he has gone over to the Honda website!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

I made up my mind and I will go with the Versys. Here are my reasons.

Although Honda riders says their bike is awesome and full of fun, there is close to the same amount of people that is saying I tried the Honda and its boring. I dint hear anything like that about the Versys.

I heard that both where mentioned to be very practical and fuel efficient.

I find the Versys is more aesthetically pleasing.

I like the storage compartment on the Honda, very practical in town but not so much when you have to fuel your bike on long trips.

I liked the Honda's new speedometer vs the Kawasaki... but in the end they both do what they are suppose to do and I wasn't going to base my purchase on it.

But the ultimate thing that made me choose the Versys before even trying the Honda, is that all the good upgrades that where talked about like the Dual bending forks and led front lights for example is not available in Canada, only in Europe & in the UK. Made me think what else did Honda Canada cheap on the 2016 NC750X. Maybe that is all, but logically, I don't want to buy the motorcycle and find out.

Do I find the Honda to be a bad bike? Not at all, seems like the people who owns it loves it, they do have great features and my opinion is that its unreal how practical it is. Specially for city driving. I have nothing bad to say about the motorcycle. I understand that the NC doesn't sell quite as much over here like it does over seas, but I think it was a mistake from Honda Canada not to include all the upgrades that the 2016 NC750X is suppose to have. Last but not least I think it might hurt them more, specially if the consumer does a bit of research and realises all this.

If all goes according to plans, by mid summers I will be able to join the Versys community

Link for the Canadien version of the NC750x on top of what was confirmed by my local Honda Dealer
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc750-g...n-version.html

Last edited by Justin5; 03-09-2016 at 03:59 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:05 PM

My buell Uly redlined at around 7 grand.. It wasn't that big of a deal on that bike because it pulled like a diesel locomotive and was plenty fast. It However had 100'ish hp and 1200 cc's . I'm not sure I would feel the same way about the little honda, with what 50 ish HP at the Crank? I see the sensibility of it, and everyone has different taste, but I feel you made a good decision.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 PM

I hear the ZX 10R has pretty good top end...

Ok, I like the fake tank/storage compartment on the Honda and they get like 60 MPG, but most bike riders who actually like to ride will prefer the Versys. Where I live most people who own motorcycles don't actually like to ride so much as become part of the motorcycle experience. Not putting it down. It's as good a reason as any to own a bike. You can wear leather and put a chain on your wallet and be cool, or wear colorful leather and have a mirrored visor and still be cool.

With the Versys you can ride with the crotch rockets and not look too out of place or putter around town with the other putter bikes. If the seat just weren't so high and it made 65kW instead of 65hp. I'd get the Versys, or maybe the ZX 10R
Lours_Polaire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode