2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 vs 2016 Honda NC750x - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 AM

Garage
Hi Justine, I had the possibility to try both bikes. Honda engine is just boring, looks like a diesel engine without compressor. Riding the Honda is not bad, but I never had any particular feeling on that bike. Instead, I had a great feeling on Versys, you can feel what the bike is doing and what you're doing. Fuel economy is ok with both bikes, except for gas filler on Honda, just crazy. In my opinion, Honda is the conjunction between a big scooter(Integra) and a motorbike; instead Versys is a real motorbike. My suggestions for you is: go and try both, and you'll get your answer.

madmac34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Biz

I rode several Honda NC 700's and came home with a '14 Versys. The Honda experience felt more like a scooter than a motorcycle. Low points on the Honda: rev limiter, small fuel cell with a bad location, brakes, big exhaust can, and road feel. My 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Biz; 03-10-2016 at 09:15 AM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin5 View Post
I made up my mind and I will go with the Versys. [/url]
Good choice Justin5! As with the others, I'm biased, but having ridden an NC700 I can echo and expand on the "boring" comment - it was constantly running into the rev limiter just when it felt like the fun would be starting on most other motorcycles. No doubt this supports the fuel economy, so if that's your priority....

And sure, V-Twins don't rev any higher, but those somehow feel "right".

The Honda neither revs like a sporty bike, nor has the torquey feeling of a cruiser. So for me it was the worst of both worlds.

And if I sound power hungry, I downsized from a Bandit 1200 after 64K miles and am very happy with my Versys

Enjoy!
Justin5 likes this.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard!
Justin5 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 05:33 AM

I've ridden both. Could not get used to the Honda engine. It has a very low redline at 6K, so you need to short shift. In comparison you can wind the Versys motor up to 10K and if your lazy don't need to shift as much. The Versys motor has a very linear torque curve but the powerband only starts at 4.5K where the Honda motor is approaching the red line. The Honda motor behaves more like a HD V twin but without the gobs of torque. It also has a LOT less power when it comes to seat of the pants feel. Try winding out both bikes when you test ride them. It does however have a very low center of gravity which should be reassuring to shorter people and newer riders. Also love the tank storage. The Honda would be a great city commuter but as others have said, the Versys is more fun to ride on a twisty secondary road. I suspect the Versys is also the better light tourer, highway bike, simply because of the increased power and better wind protection.

The Versys has a more legible dash.

As for modifications there are lots of good suggestions on this site, but I would save yourself ~$500 and stick to the stock exhaust. The exhaust is at the bottom of the bike so any weight savings will be imperceptible and I have not seen an aftermarket exhaust for the Versys that looks as good as the stock exhaust. Performance differences are simply not that noticeable, so it all really comes down to sound. Personally I'm happy with the stock sound.

Things you may want to consider are a good tank bag, to match the honda for storage and perhaps a lockable top box for the rear and maybe heated grips (not the Kawi ones though).

Last edited by twowheels; 03-18-2016 at 05:48 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:01 PM

I am also considering multiple bikes but really like the look and fun factor of the Versys 650. Was about to buy a Yamaha FJ09 but am now leaning towards the Versys 650 LT. Final comparison will be to the V-Strom 650 which seems to have a huge following. Have seen a comparison in one of the Cycle magazines I read and the Versys beat the Honda and the Strom.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

what made you decide to go with the Versys vs the FJ09
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Same question... same situation...

Hi peoples.

I am in EXACTLY the same decision as the writer. Stuck between the two.
Could I ask the same question, but with a more personal big?

I live about an hours ride from work. Its 30 minutes highway, 30 minutes lane splitting and jumping cars in traffic.
On highways I tend to drive about 120-150Kms (about 70-90mph)
Now.... I am 64)about 195cms.

I used to have a BMW F800S, and loved it. Great on the highway, a bit heavy for the city... and for my height I felt a little bit open as the screen was just too low (even after market couldn't fix that).

So. Which should I be going for?
Thanks
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFraks View Post
...So. Which should I be going for?
Thanks
aboard!

And w/ your decision.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFraks View Post
So. Which should I be going for?
Thanks
Not an easy choice, I know people who went either way. Both are great bikes.

Have you read http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...s-fj-09-a.html ?

2015 Versys 650
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 PM

Versys v NC750

Hi,
I have owned both bikes. I replaced the Versys with the NC750 for several reasons. The Versys was a little too high for me so I could never get both feet down, it just wasn't a comfortable ride for me. However the Versys was much more fun and acceleration was great - it was light and handled well. The NC750 is more of a comuter bike and the storage "frunk" is great. It does not have the excitement of the Versys but for me is the better option. I use my bike everyday to ride to work and on most weekends for a good long ride in the countryside. I stay away from motorways as they bore me senseless. Don't let the smaller tank put you off the NC750 - I only fill up every 300ks or so - the bike is very good on petrol. I do miss my green machine sometimes but for what I use the bike for the NC750 is perfect.

Good luck - ride both bikes and go with your gut feeling.

GB
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Hi,
I have owned both bikes. I replaced the Versys with the NC750 for several reasons. The Versys was a little too high for me so I could never get both feet down, it just wasn't a comfortable ride for me.
Easily lowered with Motowerk kit

Quote:
However the Versys was much more fun and acceleration was great - it was light and handled well. The NC750 is more of a comuter bike and the storage "frunk" is great. It does not have the excitement of the Versys but for me is the better option. I use my bike everyday to ride to work and on most weekends for a good long ride in the countryside. I stay away from motorways as they bore me senseless. Don't let the smaller tank put you off the NC750 - I only fill up every 300ks or so - the bike is very good on petrol.
Versys 400 km

Quote:
I do miss my green machine sometimes but for what I use the bike for the NC750 is perfect.

Good luck - ride both bikes and go with your gut feeling.

GB
For me the Honda would be boring as bat****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode