Like WW2 fighter aircraft...? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Like WW2 fighter aircraft...?

WARNING - these pics are "HARD-CORE"..., IF you're an airplane 'junkie'...!

Yesterday I rode over to the Coolidge Airport for the monthly "fly-in breakfast" w/ a friend on his BMW 1200RT.

I was planning to leave (mostly small general-aviation stuff there at that time), when I heard a "familiar" sound coming from the W, the sound of a Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12...!

Looked up to see a P-51 Mustang coming in for the 'pitch', so I turned my camera ON, and took a few as he landed, then taxied in....

Then he 'parked' it, undid his straps, and I was able to get some close-ups...

FIRST time I ever saw bomb-racks on a 'Stang...!...

I wonder IF this is THE P-51 that Capt. Joe Joiner got 4 1/2 German aircraft in?

Some owners paint their planes up in a tribute to the WW2 pilot they want to "emulate"....

The Mustang parked beside another WW2 plane which had arrived earlier, this one a training a/c...!

- - - -
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:31 PM

Cool pic's .We have a p51 based at our local airport. I have not been to an air show or fly -in breakfast in years.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very cool.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:11 PM

Garage
Great pix eddie, love hearing the merlins fly past. Below is a short vid I shot at the Avalon Air Show in Feb 2015

Last edited by MaverickAus; 12-06-2015 at 07:18 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:32 AM

Spectacular photos Eddie. Love that sort of aviation, and the sound of a Merlin is never forgotten. One of the best parts of being stationed in Europe (UK 4 years, Germany 4 years) was being able to watch the RAF Exhibition Flight (now the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) wring out Hurricanes, Spitfires, Lancasters and Mosquitos at air show after air show. Merlins galore!

One year while at Ramstein AB, I was being mesmerized by a spectacular Spitfire demo when I heard "tacka-tacka-tacka" coming from behind me. I turned around to find an elderly white haired German gentleman in Lederhosen pretending to machine gun the aircraft. He noticed me staring at him, grinned from ear to ear, and doffed his hat!

Aerial demo teams are impressive to behold, particularly the Italians when they flew Fiat G-91s, but war birds stir the soul.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 12-07-2015 at 12:56 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:43 AM

Awesome shots. I went to Oshkosh WI back in '98 and at the time was disappointed i had traveled so far to see "all prop planes". Looking back i wish i had appreciated what I saw a bit more. There was so much WW2 aircraft that i would walk past a mustang and be like "yeah seen 20 of those already...boring". Some day i will go back, but until then i always think back at what a dumbass I was for not taking more pictures and realizing what I was looking at.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here are a few more pics of WW2 fighters. This Corsair and its pilot died at an airshow a year or two back when he "pulled the wings off".

This Spitfire was BUILT from scratch by the owner/ pilot. It has an Allison V-12 instead of a Merlin, but an ORIGINAL control column w/ the 'guns' switch.

Here are some more P-51s that I've seen several times. They fly in in-formation, 'beat-up' the field, land, have breakfast then take-off in formation and AGAIN - 'beat-up' the field before heading out.

Here's a Grumman F-8F, the ONLY one I've ever seen, followed by a Grumman F-2M.

The LAST "warbird" I'll show you is the Lockheed T-33 Silver Star, the aircraft type that I "got my wings on" in the RCAF (altho' we did NOT have 'sharks-teeth' on the ones I flew).

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-07-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Ed,

While attending grad school at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, with a group of trainable USAF and USA officers, a favorite off-duty pass times was wringing out a Cessna 150 aerobat over the Smokey Mountains. One day we were "jumped" by a pair of F-8 Bearcats and ended up following them (well, at least not losing them completely) to Island Home airport on the Tennessee River. At the time (1975), it was home to the Knoxville Secret Air Force, and they owned at least five airworthy Bearcats! Extraordinary!! And secret too as it happened. Very few knew of its existence.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

That V12 Merlin is such an unmistakeable sound......music to my ears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9y0JnCNHjw
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:24 PM

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 AM

Then this is probably a stupid question.
Have you ever read "Yeager"?
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the extra pictures Ed, My dad would talk about Mustangs coming over and giving the ground troops air support, "it was a relieving sound" he said.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Then this is probably a stupid question.
Have you ever read "Yeager"?
I BELIEVE I have....

FIRST "close-up-and-personal" I had w/ a P-51 would have been in 1964 when a fellow landed one at the Edmonton Internat'l Airport (where I was a 'ramp-rat') to sell to another fellow....

We looked at it, then went to the coffee shop on a break, only to hear that wonderful Merlin "symphony" as the new owner did a VERY high-speed pass S to N just outside the coffee shop windows...!

Friggin' MARVELOUS!

- - -

Ed

..)

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 PM

"Yeager" is a great book written by the man himself and some other guy. He was really something.
The best part is his story of the Golden Trout. This is where I learned of it and I actually had the fortune of catching a few thanks to this knowledge. I'm no great fisherman by anyone's standards but the few real fisherman I've ever talked to have never even heard of them let alone caught one. They are fantastic eating. If I ever meet Chuck I'm going to thank him for that.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:37 AM

Garage
I was on a tour/visit a few years ago in Australia & happened to hit Temora at the right time...

Temora Aviation Museum :: Videos :: Temora Aviation Museum Aviation

among other things, got to see two Spitfires fly. talked with David Lowy thinking he was one of the aircraft mechanics (my trade). there was a P51 there too, but mostly a pretty good bunch of WWII aircraft from the Brit side of the pond, more than what their home page shows & all in flying condition. they fly them pretty regular, like one a month. the day I was there may have been special because the Roulettes aerobatics team showed up & did a routine with PC9s . anybody that goes down under... put that one on the list. great planes in flying condition and the people very friendly and approachable

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:32 AM

Garage
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 AM

Very cool photos. I love that P-51 Mustang!

I sat in a Spitfire MkVc and a Mosquito Mk. 35 when Don Campbell stored them behind my grandfather's barn before starting his restoration work.

Supermarine Spitfire Registry - A Warbirds Resource Group Site

warbirdregistry.org - A Warbirds Resource Group Site - De Havilland Mosquito

www.warbirdregistry.org - A Warbirds Resource Group Site - De Havilland Vampire Registry

Last edited by invader; 01-09-2016 at 04:58 AM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
...I sat in a Spitfire MkVc and a Mosquito Mk. 35 when Don Campbell stored them behind my grandfather's barn before starting his restoration work....
LUCKY bugger!

Been CLOSE, but never sat in either....

Ed

..)

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 PM

WE have the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson just down the road here and I've spent more than one afternoon there. There's a B-25 at Grimes Field in Urbana and they are rebuilding a B-17 as well and the DC3 and A-26. Little place with things happening all the time. They hosted the Doolittle Raiders fly over, the first time there were 19 B-25s the last 21 B-25s the most B-25 flying together after WWII at one time. They made a wonderful noise!

B-25s taking off early in the morning, not my video but I was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2n3JKammUA

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode