Like WW2 fighter aircraft...? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 PM

About the Lockheed T 33, I though warbirds were all propeller planes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Well lets see, There was the ME 262 Schwalbe and 163 Komet (a rocket powered fighter that kill more of it's own pilots and ground crew than anything else) from Germany along with others in prototype form but not operational and England had their Gloster Meteor. The American jet were too late to see action but the P-80 Shooting Star was the first and did see service in Korea.

ME 262

163 Komet

Gloster Meteor

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I include the jets too, such as the Sabre (F-86, MiGs, etc). I believe the F-80 flew operationally in WW2, and certainly in Korea.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Garage
F80 was operational in the end of WWII but never deployed to combat. pretty sure it used a Whittle engine made by GE

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Well lets see, There was the ME 262 Schwalbe and 163 Komet (a rocket powered fighter that kill more of it's own pilots and ground crew than anything else) from Germany along with others in prototype form but not operational and England had their Gloster Meteor. The American jet were too late to see action but the P-80 Shooting Star was the first and did see service in Korea.

Gloster Meteor

My dad used to work on Gloster Meteors during his time in the RAF. I did 12 years in RAF ATC. Got to see lots of old aircraft during display weekends. I went to this museum a few months ago : PLANES OF FAME - Chino, CA Location

I'd rather play rugby and lose than play football and win.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 PM

If you ever make it to Dayton OH check of the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB. There are 4 hangers full of every thing from a Wright brothers glider and motor to a every fighter and bomber up to the B-2 and the last and only remaining XB-70 there's even a JU-88 along with scores of prototypes and more F-4s than you can shake a stick at, plan a day to drool!

Of course it's a bitter sweet thing to see these planes but know they will never fly again.

2012 650 Versys
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
If you ever make it to Dayton OH check of the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB. There are 4 hangers full of every thing from a Wright brothers glider and motor to a every fighter and bomber up to the B-2 and the last and only remaining XB-70 there's even a JU-88 along with scores of prototypes and more F-4s than you can shake a stick at, plan a day to drool!

Of course it's a bitter sweet thing to see these planes but know they will never fly again.
I like the presidential hangar.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I like the presidential hangar.
It's moving up tp the new hanger with the rest of the planes. No more bus ride onto the base. They just started to move plane up and it'll be a bit before they are all done.

2012 650 Versys
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Took my brother to see the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, Tuesday. While there I took pics for you guys of the P80 Shooting Star (fighter version of the T33) altho' this one has the later tip-tanks of the T33, rather than the originals which mounted UNDER the wing-tips)

and here's the BAD view of the six-guns...

The ONLY Canadian T33 I ever saw w/ six guns had them arrayed very similarly to the F86 Sabre's guns.

I ALSO got pics of the F94 which TOO was a version of the P80/T33, that one an interceptor which could unload a BUNCH of folding-fin rockets from each wing-pod AND from the nose just aft of the radome.

Sorry - I forgot to take pics of the F89 Scorpion....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

P-51 fatal crash near Casa Grande last week

Pilot killed in Maricopa plane crash was aviation executive - trivalleycentral.com: Area News

2 killed as small WWII-era plane crashes near Maricopa - Maricopa Monitor: Local News

Sad to lose two men, and that P-51....

Ed

..)

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Saw this P-51 yesterday at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson.

MORE pics WILL follow, once I "re-size" them, including some modern stuff....

Ed

..)

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:29 PM

I was there yesterday.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here's a pic of old and new....

That's an F-22 in formation w/ the P-51.

Ed

..)

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Coolidge Fly-In 04 Feb '17

Went to the Fly-In today, and took a 'few' pics of two USN planes, a Bearcat and a T-28C.

Enjoy...!

Really nice to see!

Ed

..)

post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:38 PM

It's so cold right now the birds aren't even flying here in Michigan! Glad you can still enjoy yourself outdoors. The bike is tucked away in the garage waiting for warmer weather and the HUGE box of farkles to adorn it! Keep sending the pics. They're about all that keep some of us going this time of year!!
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:25 PM

I spent a whole day wandering around the Pima County Museum........I actually worked on the Grumman A-6E Intruder that they have there. The Boeing Museum in Seattle is a great place to visit also.

Not to forget......the Spruce Goose is on the Columbia river west of Portland.

I worked at the airport when I was in high school and the Osh Kosh air show always brought some nice aircraft through our location. Great stuff.....I've always loved planes of all types.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSchultz1971 View Post
It's so cold right now the birds aren't even flying here in Michigan! Glad you can still enjoy yourself outdoors. The bike is tucked away in the garage waiting for warmer weather and the HUGE box of farkles to adorn it! Keep sending the pics. They're about all that keep some of us going this time of year!!
Take a trip to the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio. better make it a weekend trip or longer there are 4 BIG hangers full of everything that could fly, and didn't, the Air Force had anything to do with. From the Wright Brothers to the F-22 and beyond it's there.

Last time I was there, couple of weeks ago, they were wheeling a V-22 in and moving the SR-71 around.

My favorite was the XB-70, the only one left BTW, and I can't tell you how BIG it is you have to see it for yourself and to think it was designed to fly at mach 3.5 and 70,000' in the '60s! The there are the X-15 and an A-12 (the fighter version of the SR-71).

There are F-82 Twin Mustangs and 1 of 3 of the Japanese "George" fighter and a JU-88 German Bomber, though this one was flown by the Romanians.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

2012 650 Versys
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

DHC Chipmunk

I KNOW that the "Chippee" as we referred to it isn't a WW2 fighter, but it IS the airplane that started my flying career in the RCAF back in '67. After 26.7 hours on it (to ensure I had the aptitude to eventually graduate) I went on to the Tutor jet trainer (as used by the RCAF Snowbirds demonstration team), then the T-33 on which I got my "wings".

I rode to Casa Grande yesterday for the "Cactus Fly-In", cloudy, windy, not too many aircraft yet, but there WAS a Chipmunk in RCAF colors, same as when I trained on it, so I took a pic or two.

I have checked my airforce log-book, and I didn't fly this particular one during my training, but pretty soon the owner came up to me to chat. I mentioned my training on them, and my 26.7 hours, so he asked if I would like to sit in it. Of course I said "YES!"

(DISCLAIMER: I still weigh almost the same as then - FIFTY years ago!!! - tho' SOME has moved to new places on my body; I am about 2" shorter; and I was NOT wearing a parachute yesterday.)

As always I was ATGATT, so I climbed up the wing, confirmed that I would step into the seat before settling-in, then did so... at which time the owner offered to take my pic. I handed my camera over, and smiled

MY but that is a MUCH smaller place than I remember. He asked if it looked 'familiar'. I admitted that, "NO" it didn't, and that HIS Chipmunk had, somehow, shrunk!

REALLY NICE day for an 'old pilot'....

- - -
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode