This is Canada - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Garage
ATYC sez>

"Where I live in SW Ontario, the ground is flat and the roads are straight. If you hunt around some you can find a few good roads, but most of the area was laid out in a flat, straight grid."

There are flat stretches in between, but all the river valleys that lead to Lake Erie have some entertaining roads that are neither flat nor straight, and I know most of them. PM me, l will show you some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The North shore of Lake Erie, as you'd expect, is dotted with small port towns. These towns boast scenic waterfronts, beaches, boating, fishing and tourism.

This is the draw bridge in action in Port Stanely, ON. It gets a lot of use as it crosses the mouth of the harbour, seperating the harbour from numerous pleasure craft docks.

A little further East is Port Burwell. This is a small town with not much of an economy left. In the hopes of turning things around, a huge new project was undertaken by the Elgin Military Museum, and Port Burwell is the new home of HMCS Ojibwa.

This Cold War era submarine served in the Canadian Navy from 1965 and was decommissioned in 1998. Saved from its scrapyard fate, the Ojibwa will soon be a working museum display and, hopefully, a big draw to this tiny town.

This is Canada.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 06-19-2013 at 12:32 PM.
post #43 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
...This Cold War era submarine served in the Canadian Navy from 1965 and was decommissioned in 1998. Saved from its scrapyard fate, the Ojibwa will soon be a working museum display and, hopefully, a big draw to this tiny town.

Nice to see that our government didn't scrap it like they usually do!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #44 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Spring came on a little slowly this year in rural Ontario. In fact, the wind chill is sub zero this morning with June just a week away! Farmers are scrambling and busy now trying to get fields planted in a hurry. Gotta really keep your head up for these:

This is Canada.

Always trust your cape.
post #45 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Garage
What a surprise this cold snap, I will need to get my heated gear out for a ride tomorrow. Looks like normal to above normal temps starting Tuesday. Don't worry, the outside furnace will get fired up soon enough. People here were already whining about the heat earlier this week.

Thanks for the photos, I really should stop and take some too. I guess that I take the nice scenery here for granted.

You are right about the size of the farm equipment on roads, although most of the drivers are very careful and I respect their right to make a living.
post #46 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...You are right about the size of the farm equipment on roads, although most of the drivers are very careful and I respect their right to make a living.
My concern regarding farm equipment (particularly going same-direction) is a sudden left-turn across your bow.... That would REALLY HURT!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #47 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My concern regarding farm equipment (particularly going same-direction) is a sudden left-turn across your bow.... That would REALLY HURT!

Eddie, I find that a farm vehicle turning left in front of me is far less likely to happen than some cell phone wielding moron in an SUV. Farmers around here are very careful with tractors and equipment on the road. If the road is busy they will pull over onto the shoulder and wait for all traffic to clear before turning left. Also, the tractors today have many flashing lights, turn signals on extended light bars, oversize mirrors etc. some even have rear facing cameras projecting image onto monitor. It aint your grandfathers Ferguson no more!
post #48 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Agreed. Always really courteous, and they wave at MCs, too. The size and noise of some of these machines sure gets your attention on a bike, though!

Always trust your cape.
post #49 of 257 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Eddie, I find that a farm vehicle turning left in front of me is far less likely to happen than some cell phone wielding moron in an SUV. Farmers around here are very careful with tractors and equipment on the road. If the road is busy they will pull over onto the shoulder and wait for all traffic to clear before turning left. Also, the tractors today have many flashing lights, turn signals on extended light bars, oversize mirrors etc. some even have rear facing cameras projecting image onto monitor. It aint your grandfathers Ferguson no more!
Smiley - I AGREE! What I posted was limited to my CONCERN that a sudden left-turn just in front of you would be pretty sh!tty, so I ALWAYS watch for it!

Ed

..)

post #50 of 257 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Today was a great day to just get lost.
I did a rural tour of mid-Western Ontario, covering about 200kms. Never really knew where I was most of the time. It was awesome.

Big sky:

This is Canada.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 06-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
post #51 of 257 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM

Every time I see pictures of your bike I'm liking the grey/silver more and more. And your side cases and trunk are the perfect size for the Versys, in my opinion. The bigger cases just don't suit the V, your's really look good. When I have some extra $$$ for cases, I'm getting the same.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #52 of 257 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Hey ATYC

I'm just up in the Sault. Here's a link to the riding in my area, the Algoma district. I did the Deer Trail last year, planning the Island tour and a little Lake Superior this summer.

http://www.algomacountry.com/395/motorcycle

PS.

How your highway pegs working out for you?
post #53 of 257 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Every time I see pictures of your bike I'm liking the grey/silver more and more. And your side cases and trunk are the perfect size for the Versys, in my opinion. The bigger cases just don't suit the V, your's really look good. When I have some extra $$$ for cases, I'm getting the same.
Thanks. Metallic Moondust Grey was the official name from Ma Kaw. I like the smaller cases too as they suit my needs and budget. The E21s are by far the cheapest hard bags available. I have to pack really smart for touring, but I make it work.

Always trust your cape.
post #54 of 257 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post
Hey ATYC

I'm just up in the Sault. Here's a link to the riding in my area, the Algoma district. I did the Deer Trail last year, planning the Island tour and a little Lake Superior this summer.

http://www.algomacountry.com/395/motorcycle

PS.

How your highway pegs working out for you?
Cool, thanks for the link. My in-laws have camps on Manitoulin, I hope to ride there next Summer, and Lake Superior circle tour is on this list too!

The highway pegs are working out very well. They are well made and easily installed. I tend to use them for short stretches, but the change helps alot over long rides.

Always trust your cape.
post #55 of 257 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Happy Birthday, Canada!

Always trust your cape.
post #56 of 257 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Highway Pegs

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canucks as well. Along with Happy Memorial Day here in Newfoundland.
BTW. What highway pegs are you using ATYC?

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #57 of 257 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
BTW. What highway pegs are you using ATYC?
Those are Speedy's Highway Peg Mounts. http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Highway...WPMT-REVB2.htm They are very well made and a good value, though - as with most MC stuff - shipping to Canada is a little dear.

The pegs themselves just are cheapies out of the parts catalogue you'll find at any Canadian MC dealer. Under 15 bucks, but they are solid and work well.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 07-01-2013 at 07:54 AM.
post #58 of 257 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
I did a rural tour of mid-Western Ontario, covering about 200kms. Never really knew where I was most of the time. It was awesome.

Big sky:

This is Canada.

That day seems great for riding !!!

LOP
post #59 of 257 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The North shore of Lake Erie, as you'd expect, is dotted with small port towns. These towns boast scenic waterfronts, beaches, boating, fishing and tourism.

A little further East is Port Burwell. This is a small town with not much of an economy left. In the hopes of turning things around, a huge new project was undertaken by the Elgin Military Museum, and Port Burwell is the new home of HMCS Ojibwa.

This Cold War era submarine served in the Canadian Navy from 1965 and was decommissioned in 1998. Saved from its scrapyard fate, the Ojibwa will soon be a working museum display and, hopefully, a big draw to this tiny town.

This is Canada.
When I lived in Halifax the navy had a couple of these subs, including I think this one, tied up to a dock under the McDonald bridge, on the Dartmouth side, for years, just rusting away since 1998. Glad to see they saved at least one. This one looks like it has since been painted as they were covered with rust when I last saw them a few years back. When I was in Halifax this last March I spotted one of the Canadian navies newer British inherited subs motoring around Bedford Basin. According to the local media they were doing early sea trials on it since recently refitting it.

Navy yard in Halifax. Think the small aircraft carrier is either British or American and the ship to the right is a Canadian navy supply ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navy.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24889  

Last edited by twowheels; 07-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
post #60 of 257 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Big sky:

This is Canada.
Damn! That's an awfully straight road. Are you sure you weren't in Kansas?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode