Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

The Needles Highway....

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  AngryGazebo 
#1 ·
Got up to almost 80* today so I figured I'd ride either the Iron Mountain Rd or the Needles Highway (both here in the Black Hills). I got to the Needles Highway first so that's the one I took. A ton of bikes out running around and lots of large critters (buffalo). The highway hasn't been swept yet from the winter crap (it's not maintained during the winter) but not too bad. Some nasty gravel in the Eye of the Needle but everything else was pretty good. Came back down thru Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park. Got about 120 miles in all total.

Sorry, I didn't waste time taking pictures.

#5 ·
My brother lives outside Billings, MT so I've ridden those roads also. The Bighorns just got snow the other day so any riding in Northern Wyoming will have to wait a few more weeks. We are supposed to get a rain/snow mix several times this week.

#4 ·
Amazing. I wish I had stopped to take pictures on my ride there (2 years ago) but the road was so great and the riding was so much fun I couldn't bring myself to stop. And it's a long way from home for me, so I don't know if I'll ever make it back.

Enjoy. You live in a beautiful area!

#6 ·
I had a good friend in Hot Springs and got up there a few times. The Needles was a nice drive but too much traffic! My friend was Alison who owned the guitar store (Canterbury String Shop) there across from the old RR building and was it an old jail next to the river? Sadly she passed away almost a year ago now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.