2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

And yes, checked the chain. No need to adjust. Just over 1" of slack after installing the lowering kit.

Overall, a good investment. I was originally on my tippy toes; now I'm on the balls of my feet. Not as much as I had hoped but still better than what it was before. I feel more comfortable now for my wife to jump up on the back and go riding with me.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Mods: Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case

Last edited by 407guy; 04-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Mods: Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 PM

I didn't lower mine -- I got the lower gel seat and some thick-soled boots :-) It's working out pretty well so far!

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I didn't lower mine -- I got the lower gel seat and some thick-soled boots :-) It's working out pretty well so far!
Where did you get the lower gel seat? Did you get it shipped from Europe?

Thx.

post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM

Done it all and seen it all, but I still enjoy reading just like it was my first day in the forum.

Thanks guys for keeping this forum going after all these years.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM

I really enjoy this forum and read it daily. Better than watching the news!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:13 PM

I bought it from some guy on this Forum. Keep your eye on the classifieds. One came up after I bought mine, and it was $50 cheaper!
407guy likes this.

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Just had the 600 mile service. Interesting that after the lowering link was installed by me the chain was too loose. Install was about the 300 mile mark. I was getting a nasty rattle sound by the front sprocket during decel. All is good now. Dealership adjusted the chain. And as previously posted, I really like this bike!

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
And yes, checked the chain. No need to adjust. Just over 1" of slack after installing the lowering kit.

Overall, a good investment. I was originally on my tippy toes; now I'm on the balls of my feet. Not as much as I had hoped but still better than what it was before. I feel more comfortable now for my wife to jump up on the back and go riding with me.

That is somewhat surprising. When I installed by lowering link a couple of years ago, I had to re-adjust my chain quite a bit.

This makes sense, because the angle of the swing arm was changed to much closer to horizontal. This took up all the slack in the chain, and I had to re-adjust.

Last edited by trialsguy; 05-03-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 PM

The Versys looks good all squatty with the lowering kit. Is the handling or suspension feel any different?
407guy likes this.
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Is the handling or suspension feel any different?
Nothing that I noticed. Granted I only had it in stock configuration for 300 miles. I'm still getting used to the bike and how it handles but no complaints since the install of the kit.

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 PM

I got caught by surprise when the shock I loosened shot right up and the bike took a nose dive all the way down on the remaining shock. Left me wondering how to fix this mess for a couple minutes. What I ended up doing is use a nylon strap tie down tied to the top bracket joining the shocks and a truss in the ceiling of my garage and then lift the front end of the bike by ratcheting it until the front wheel was hovering above ground a couple inches. Worked out pretty well actually.

Btw, I dropped my front end according to speedy's recommended 1.25" (so total 1.75" showing out of the top bracket) and the ribbed portion of the shock goes all the way to the triple clamp and frankly I cannot tell how much of the ribbed portion is inside the triple clamp. Anyone feel like taking a measuring tape and tell me how much of the front shock on a third gen is ribbed? Would spare me from taking the thing apart just to make sure I don't have the tapered portion of the shock inside the clamp.

Last edited by Woots; 05-03-2017 at 10:44 PM.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
Btw, I dropped my front end according to speedy's recommended 1.25" (so total 1.75" showing out of the top bracket) and the ribbed portion of the shock goes all the way to the triple clamp and frankly I cannot tell how much of the ribbed portion is inside the triple clamp. Anyone feel like taking a measuring tape and tell me how much of the front shock on a third gen is ribbed? Would spare me from taking the thing apart just to make sure I don't have the tapered portion of the shock inside the clamp.
I actually contacted Speedy about this, the fact the lower clamp would be beyond the smooth part in order to obtain the 1.75" drop. He said it would be fine to have it on the ribbed part but that it wasn't an issue if I left mine they way I had them (in my pix above).

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
I actually contacted Speedy about this, the fact the lower clamp would be beyond the smooth part in order to obtain the 1.75" drop. He said it would be fine to have it on the ribbed part but that it wasn't an issue if I left mine they way I had them (in my pix above).
Glad to hear that, thanks.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

I should clarify, Speedy said it would be okay to have it partially on the ribbed part. I don't anyone thinking it's okay to drop it so it is completely off the smooth part.

post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 PM

Just got my '17 versys today and rode it pretty hard for 60 miles. I want to follow motorman's instructions but, I'm skeptical of putting 10w - 40 in the bike.. can anyone give me some reassurance?

Dealership explicitly said not to put car motor oil in the bike.

Thanks in advance

Stu
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupp92 View Post
Just got my '17 versys today and rode it pretty hard for 60 miles. I want to follow motorman's instructions but, I'm skeptical of putting 10w - 40 in the bike.. can anyone give me some reassurance?

Thanks in advance

Stu
Use the oil specs stated in your manual and you'll be just fine. Car oils often have friction modifiers that make our clutches slip.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupp92 View Post

Thanks in advance

Stu
Follow 'motoman' - 10w-40 is OK, then at 1K miles go Mobil1 15w-5- CAR OIL (available at Walmart for about $26/ 5 qts, as used by MANY of us!) along w/ filter change.

I've used 15w-50 M1 in THREE Vs, over MORE than 100,000 miles.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I must be doing something wrong. My twins just clang off the tank with a bell-like ringing sound... I did notice some new tank dents as a result though...
Big belt buckle ???? LOL

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
Think about a Seat Concepts cover and foam kit... really flattens that sucker out and brings up the front.

Your butt will appreciate it!
I did some "surfing" on line and the cheapest I could find was $260 US plus $56 US shipping to Canada ....anybody else know of a cheaper dealer / price.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode