• 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

AZ desert flowers ride, 2017...

As I'm planning to head N a couple of weeks earlier than usual, I figured it was about time to head into the desert w/ my camera to record this year's "bounty" of wildflowers due to the amount of rain we had earlier, so I saddled-up, heading SE to the Florence-Kelvin Hwy. My routing was via the F-K to AZ 77, then N to AZ 60, W to AZ 79, then S to my place, so w/out 'further-ado' - I'll let the pics do the talking....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

...continued...

The next pic shows mistletoe attacking the tree on the right. I'm NOT sure if it's the same mistletoe that we hang at Christmas, but it doesn't seem very nice...!

I also saw a "vermillion flycatcher" which has to be the F-16 of little birds, watching it 'pulling-G' to catch insects.

I rode just over 103 miles, my 'moving average' a lowly 35 mph as I watched for color along the road (as well as OTHER traffic, of course!). Temp got to 91F, around 17 degrees above the normal for this time of year.

TOUGH, but I guess - SOMEBODY'S got to do it...!

bigaussie and quexpress like this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Liked all the shots, but wow - the cactus in this one is loaded.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Nice pics - thanks for sharing them !

I'm going to get out there one of these days to see the desert in bloom

Is it too late this year already ?

We were out around Canyon Verde a few years ago and most of the cactus were in bloom. Very pretty.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:13 PM

Spectacular photos! Always liked the desert in bloom. Reminds me of our home in Alamogordo, NM, some years back. (Charming wife was Deputy Director of Logistics for the F-117 wing, but that's another story).

Our yards were entirely desert landscape which that meant something was in bloom year round. That was the great part. The not so great part was that absolutely everything had thorns and needle and even spikes. When it came time to trim bushes and cacti I always ended up looking as if had been in a cat fight - and lost badly.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:31 PM

It's truly amazing how much stuff grows in the desert when there is adequate rainfall. Everything is quite brown around here as we haven't had much snow and no rain to speak of. Still early though......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Nice pics - thanks for sharing them !

I'm going to get out there one of these days to see the desert in bloom

Is it too late this year already ?

We were out around Canyon Verde a few years ago and most of the cactus were in bloom. Very pretty.
It's not too late yet, in fact it is at it's peak! However it will be decaying rapidly soon!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
...Is it too late this year already ?...
It ain't too late YET, but maybe SOON.

The 'downside' is that all that grass will dry out becoming a major fore-hazard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Our yards were entirely desert landscape which that meant something was in bloom year round. That was the great part. The not so great part was that absolutely everything had thorns and needle and even spikes. When it came time to trim bushes and cacti I always ended up looking as if had been in a cat fight - and lost badly.
My yard too. Last week I went out to 'trim' some cacti in the front wearing fairly new coveralls and work gloves, TRYING to be very careful, but I still got "...thorns and needle and even spikes..." in them, so all I could do was to throw the coveralls and gloves in the garbage.

Oh well.

Ed

..)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Garage
Thanks for the visual beauty and "dry out". So much rain in this parth of the
NorthWet...!

Ride while you can
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
Thanks for sharing those, Ed. Too many times we tend to ride by interesting places that deserve a closer look. I notice a predominance of yellow and orange flowers in those desert photos.

Around here, we get different wildflowers blooming throughout the season- from April to October. Actually sooner than that, as I have snowdrops in bloom here since the end of February, then crocus and grape hyacinths follow.

A favourite time for me is when the lilacs blossom and I can smell them as I ride by. That is another advantage we motorcyclists have over car drivers: the ability to smell the world that we ride through.

Do those desert flowers have a strong scent or more subtle? I expect that depends on the variety.
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...Actually sooner than that, as I have snowdrops in bloom here since the end of February, then crocus and grape hyacinths follow....
I had a farm in E Ontario (St Eugene) when I lived in the E, big two-story red-brick house. When the snow was starting to melt I would take some plastic flowers (tulips or gladiolas I believe) and stick 'em into the snow-drift along the foundation on the W side.

ALL my neighbors thought that I had some kind of 'green thumb'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...Do those desert flowers have a strong scent or more subtle?....
I've not noticed any scents, unlike the tiger-lilies that would grow in the ditches around St Eugene.

-
Smiley likes this.

Ed

..)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

MORE AZ cactus flowers...

I go for a two mile walk in the mornings, so today I carried my camera and took THESE pics:

...and YES - I KNOW that some are NOT cactus flowers....

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode