up the Apache Trail (AND the Reavis Ranch Trailhead access road... and DOWN it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

9Likes
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 5 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

up the Apache Trail (AND the Reavis Ranch Trailhead access road... and DOWN it!

About 0900 hrs yesterday, skipper1940 and I headed N to ride some dirt. We 'filled up' in Apache Junction,

then headed up AZ 88 (the Apache Trail's 'number'), till we hit the end of the pavement where I took this one.

Then it was E to the Fish Creek Hill, down it, then along the bottom of the valley - INCREDIBLY green (probably the MOST green I've ever seen, and this tree's leaves were yellow and falling off last time I rode the 'Trail', NOT very long ago...)!

A few miles later I turned S onto the "Reavis Ranch Trailhead" access road, leading Skip up this very narrow (BARELY one lane wide) but scenic route, keeping a good eye-out for vehicles coming down (we didn't see any, but I have in the past - SCARY some times!). At the end of the three miles you're a couple of thousand feet HIGHER, now at the start of the trailhead, a place I've stopped for lunch several times, even if I have NOT gone 'walking' up it. BEAUTY view...!

Coming down I told Skip to lead, but that I'd be awhile - stopping for pics.... Notice how much green is evident...!

Soon I 'hit' the bottom, turned E onto the Apache Trail where Skip waited.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

When he saw me, Skip started heading E.

I stopped to capture some wildflowers (this year should be EXCEPTIONAL for them!), heading E.

Soon we arrived at the Roosevelt Dam, had our lunches, then turned S onto AZ 188 - this "Scenic Turn-out" featuring a good view of some cliff-dwellings that are otherwise only visible AFTER a several-mile hike w/ a guide.

Skip hadn't ever seen Mattie Earp's gave, so we turned W onto AZ 60 thru Globe, Miami, Claypool and then Superior where I led the way via several miles of rocky dirt, to her grave.

Half an hour later we got to my place (Skip is a neighbor, living a block away from me), where we were able to replenish our "precious bodily fluids" after the FIVE hours the ride had taken us, the temps NOW hovering around 87F.

GREAT way to spend a few hours....

-

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Nice ride, nice pics!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Ah yes, Apache Junction. I vaguely recall my father getting a speeding ticket in Apache Junction at around 3:00 AM (or 0300 for those who don't want to waste letters and a colon) waaaay back in about 1955. Excluding one or two rabbits and perhaps a desert mouse or tow, we were the only thing moving. Except, of course, a policeman. I NEVER let him forget that lapse of concentration.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Garage
I spotted that Canuck nickel in the first photo before the cropped version. Was it already there or did you place it, Ed (you big spender!)?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...Was it already there or did you place it, Ed (you big spender!)?
I didn't add anything. For me, that's disrespectful.

BTW - nothin' but "green-back-dollars" in MY wallet...! (At least for the next 16 days....)

Ed

..)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Nice pics, thanks for sharing the ride!

Always trust your cape.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I didn't add anything. For me, that's disrespectful.
Disrespectful to you perhaps, but a measure of respect to some people of other cultures and religions to leave a coin, a stone or flowers on a grave.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Disrespectful to you perhaps, but a measure of respect to some people of other cultures and religions to leave a coin, a stone or flowers on a grave.
I just went thru some old pics. These are from the FIRST time I visited her grave, back in April 2009, and it was QUITE different then. Lots of stuff left there.

Good 'food-for-thought' I reckon.

Ed

..)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:45 PM

You should see Geronimo's grave. It is covered with coins, cartridge brass and an assortment of other "stuff".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode