The quest for a corner in Texas... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
... I hate to say this but I think I prefer it to my R1200RT!....
Can NOT understand why you would ... "HATE to say it"...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Garage
I'm in Lubbock till Sunday if you happen to be in the area.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Can NOT understand why you would ... "HATE to say it"...!

maybe because the RT costs 3X as much!! high praise to compare Versys to RT!! Glad you like it. I love my 650 Versys so far!!

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
maybe because the RT costs 3X as much!! high praise to compare Versys to RT!! Glad you like it. I love my 650 Versys so far!!
Quite so. The RT is NOT 3 times better by any stretch of the imagination! My only real gripe on the Versys is the seat! I shall persevere with it to see if I can break it in but it is not looking too promising. It really throws me forward and the bones of my backside get sore after a while.

I managed to get the oil changed courtesy of a very kind Texan who made me a bespoke screen whilst I changed the oil!!! Texas hospitality at its best... so the bike has fresh oil, cruise lock, 12V accessory socket, he bought me lunch and I have a new screen now. Texas is a great place!

Thanks to all from a visiting Brit.

ps I shall post a few pics later...
Blue stripe has now gone off the tyre, new screen and throttle lock...

sorry the pics are skewiff... no idea why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	117138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0900.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	117146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	117154  

Last edited by farmerboy; 03-10-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add pics..
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
My only real gripe on the Versys is the seat! I shall persevere with it to see if I can break it in but it is not looking too promising. It really throws me forward and the bones of my backside get sore after a while.

Agreed. I could ride my CB500X all day on stock seat. The Versys seat is terrible for long rides. I still use it of shorter rides but I got a Russell seat and its amazing. I can go all day, no padded shorts needed. it was pricey, but worth for long rides.
quexpress likes this.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Raise the front of the seat a half inch or so and put an Airhawk R on it. The great thing about the Airhawk is you can stow it in the side case if you are riding more sporting. Put it back when you hit I10. Hill country is great but I'd as soon have a root canal as ride the Katy Freeway.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
Agreed. I could ride my CB500X all day on stock seat. The Versys seat is terrible for long rides. I still use it of shorter rides but I got a Russell seat and its amazing. I can go all day, no padded shorts needed. it was pricey, but worth for long rides.
Before you buy a new seat, spend $14. I was getting ready to buy a seat until I got this little bargain. What a difference it makes! I'm sure you could get a better seat, but this riser block has me putting seat replacement way down on my list of needs.

Seat Riser Block- One of our forum members Rawkstar320 makes these riser blocks to raise the front of the seat so you don't keep sliding into your tank, A MUST buy and the best $14.00 you can spend on your Versys. Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Seat Riser Block- One of our forum members Rawkstar320 makes these riser blocks to raise the front of the seat so you don't keep sliding into your tank, A MUST buy and the best $14.00 you can spend on your Versys. Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod
Certainly worth trying. The Russell cost me $750!!! And it makes it harder to reach the ground. The other post about the removable seat pad makes sense too. Nice to remove it when not on the highway. I love the Russell, but needed a second mortgage to buy it!!!
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I have some gel cycling shorts (I know!) and I will give them a try and see if I can cobble up something to lift the seat a bit. My main worry is my short inseam.. I am on my toes now so any extra height may be an issue. I was stood up for miles and miles to save my aching backside on the way back from Leakey!! Other drivers on the I10 motorway must have thought the circus was coming to town!
Lorry driver gave me quizzical looks as I passed them... you have to laugh!

Pic of the weather near Leakey Texas... just like the UK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	117210  
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I think I shall try the Airhawk but they seem to sell a variety of sizes. Anyone know which is the best fit on the Versys?

ps
a few pics..
https://goo.gl/photos/KJbeEXt5vYykQD8XA

Last edited by farmerboy; 03-11-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: ad pics
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 PM

I should add a caveat to my Airhawk recommendation. The normal one is too large for the Versys and the small (I purchased) is really a bit undersized. They don't seem to make a "Goldilocks" version for the Kaw. I went with the small because it doesn't get in the way as much on curvy roads, but still adds a bit of cushion on long straight (boring) commutes.

The Airhawk takes some time to get rid of the unsteady feel you first have when it's installed. Less air is generally better.

Next trip should be the Ozarks (~ 8 hours from Houston) and then the holy grail of Tennesse/North Carolina, but you really should trailer the bike to the later. Google Cherohala Skyway.
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...sorry the pics are skewiff... no idea why?
PROBABLY you have your camera (or phone) set to AUTOMATICALLY 'erect' pics. Get rid of that setting and try it.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Done some turns now!
Have a question after your video. I'm a new rider(less then 1 year). I saw you shift much being inside a corner... is it a safe practice? I'm trying to fight this habit, but maybe I shouldn't...

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmad View Post
Have a question after your video. I'm a new rider(less then 1 year). I saw you shift much being inside a corner... is it a safe practice? I'm trying to fight this habit, but maybe I shouldn't...
You have made me smile... !! I am no expert rider and those corners were a LOT tighter than they look on the video (nearly 180's) - I ended up in 1st gear! I can get a nice smooth gear change on this bike and I am happy changing gear mid corner but really you should be all set before you get there!

As long as I do not fall off I call it a good day!
quexpress and Metalmad like this.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

"Next trip should be the Ozarks (~ 8 hours from Houston) and then the holy grail of Tennesse/North Carolina, but you really should trailer the bike to the later. Google Cherohala Skyway."

I am hoping to come back from Alaska in that general direction so I may get lucky!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Fasteddie - I think you are right about the camera... I shall sort it.

Ref the AirHawk, I rode to the Houston Cycle Gear shop (in torrential rain - groan...) and was about to buy one when a guy taps me on the shoulder and says "are you the guy with the Versys sporting a Union Jack and GB sticker", "yes, hello" I reply and he tells me to put the AirHawk away as he can loan me one for as long as I like! Such friendly and generous people in Texas... I am blown away by the welcome and help I have received. It is no wonder America is such a great nation...
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:37 PM

Glad you enjoyed the roads. Which ones did you get to ride? Video looks like 16. There are other roads if you come up to the metroplex, big bend or out thru Sabine national forest.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Back of the Dragon - Home

Try this area also. We are going out there in Sept.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Well spotted - yes it was 16! I have more video of some of the 3 sisters but I want to try and edit out all the boring bits... not a strength of mine so editing will be a slow process!
calscrazy likes this.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Done some turns now!
Just back from the rodeo after a very,very busy day.. 3 sisters this morning, ride back to Houston in dreadful traffic then Rodeo followed by some herbert playing guitar.. now officially knackerd!
Some unedited video - sorry about the clicking - its the clutch hitting the camera.
Farmerboy, what is the camera mounted to? What camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode