Rides in the Houston area? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Rides in the Houston area?

Hi all, sorry to be so demanding at the moment.... but I will need to put 600 miles on the bike to get to its 1st service and was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice ride in the general Houston area? It looks like there are a lot of straight roads on google maps so maybe someone can point me in the direction of someplace a bit more "curvy". I shall have some camping gear to try out so an overnighter is an option.

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

John - all it is is an oil change and check bolts for tightness. My THREE Vs were all "home-serviced" by me.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
John - all it is is an oil change and check bolts for tightness. My THREE Vs were all "home-serviced" by me.
Hmmm... I assumed I would have to take it to a Kawasaki dealer to ensure the warranty was honoured?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Just keep your receipts for your supplies. You don't have to pay for a dealer service to honor your warranty.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

that is good news... still going for a ride though!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 PM

Heading west of town on FM529 through Belleville, then heading on to Round Top is a great ride. ~150 miles round trip.

North toward Montgomery, then north into the Sam Houston National Forest is another excellent ride. Free (primitive) camping at Kelly's Pond.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Kerrville, Texas. It's about a 5 hour drive, of which 1-1/2 is just getting out of Houston, but you will be happy you made the drive. Hook your trailer to your pickup (you did know pickups are required in Texas, didn't you?) and tow it down the loverly Katy freeway to the Texas hill country. You may never come back. Try singing "Luckenbach" once you get past SanAnton.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM

+1 to what RVerde says.

Some friends and I go down there very year to ride. We usually stay at koyote ranch (Medina high point now). Ride out there. Ride three sisters one day. Then head out to Big Bend. Leave Leakey and run out to Uvalde then hop 90 up to Marathon. Not much out there but you can drop the hammer and really get moving. Plus as you get outside Sanderson the scenery gets a lot better. Spend the afternoon riding around Big Bend then head back home next day. ITs the first of our two rides every year. The second is somewhere in the US of whoevers turn in the rotation it is.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like the Kerville area is the place to go... it will give me a good chance to get used the bike and see if I like camping... assuming there are campsites in that area!

Thanks for all the advice.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

John - just sent you a PM.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to SmoothRoad Send a message via MSN to SmoothRoad
Texas Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Hi all, sorry to be so demanding at the moment.... but I will need to put 600 miles on the bike to get to its 1st service and was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice ride in the general Houston area? It looks like there are a lot of straight roads on google maps so maybe someone can point me in the direction of someplace a bit more "curvy". I shall have some camping gear to try out so an overnighter is an option.

Thanks

John
You are only about 3 hours from Texas Hill Country, which offers some of the most scenic roads in the US. You could go to Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Comfort, Medina, Utopia, etc. You will encounter plenty of other motorcyclists. You could go to Vanderpol and stop by the Motorcycle Museum. Just take secondary roads rather than the interstate. If you really want curves, there is a route called The Three Sisters. Enjoy your riding.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:43 PM

As mentioned........the Hill country is nice riding. Do a Google on the "Twisted Sisters/Three Sisters". It's three county roads in the Hill country. I took that ride from Ft Hood/Kileen and did it in two days. Spent overnight is some little town with an excellent burger joint (don't remember the name). From Houston it should get you 600 miles with no problem. Watch out for the turkey vultures in the Hill country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode