Maybe I should have stayed home today. I need a new windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cbrf2_rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should have stayed home today. I need a new windshield

It was even nicer today than yesterday...right up to the moment the Turkey flew out of the bushes in front of me. Smacked right into the windshield shattering it so I have to buy a new one now but at least I didn't get hurt or crash, it was a small Turkey maybe a couple pounds max.

It happened so fast that it was over and done with before I knew I was happening. All I remember is a loud BANG! Funny thing is you'd think I'd be rattled but didn't faze me at all. Either I'm get better at dealing with this kind of crap OR am so far 'round the bend I don't even know what's going on, more likely.

Think I'll buy a "Dash Cam" and mount it on the bike, bound to get so strange shots sooner or latter.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 PM

YIKES !!!!

Glad you're OK !

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
It was even nicer today than yesterday...right up to the moment the Turkey flew out of the bushes in front of me. Smacked right into the windshield shattering it so I have to buy a new one now but at least I didn't get hurt or crash, it was a small Turkey maybe a couple pounds max.

It happened so fast that it was over and done with before I knew I was happening. All I remember is a loud BANG! Funny thing is you'd think I'd be rattled but didn't faze me at all. Either I'm get better at dealing with this kind of crap OR am so far 'round the bend I don't even know what's going on, more likely.

Think I'll buy a "Dash Cam" and mount it on the bike, bound to get so strange shots sooner or latter.
Glad you made it through unscathed. BTW I've got a couple Gen 2 windshields for sale if you are interested...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
it was a small Turkey maybe a couple pounds max.
Couple pounds, eh? Too bad...not much of a meal there. But definitely better than being hit by a turkey driving an SUV, applying lipstick and talking on her cell phone. So you got that going for you....
chrisfla1 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:38 AM

My turkey encounter yesterday wasn't nearly as dramatic..........I saw them coming (three very large ones) and hit the brakes and horn (WOLO) at the same time and they took off. They never got within 20' of me. Sorry to hear yours was worse.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Had a 'turkey vulture' fly out of bushes beside the road, crossing about windshield height JUST in front of me, a few years back near the Ray Mine in AZ.

Scared the CRAP outta me!

BIG buggar.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Turkey Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Had a 'turkey vulture' fly out of bushes beside the road, crossing about windshield height JUST in front of me, a few years back near the Ray Mine in AZ.

Scared the CRAP outta me!

BIG buggar.
Same here, I was doing 80KM/HR, luckily hit my right mirror on the 07, still the original, something like what Weljo has now, except I needed to get the tools out and try and tighten it my mirror, then took it apart at home, shortly after got rid of the mirrors.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
Ed, you really don't want to hit one of those TV's (turkey vulture). Damage aside, the smell is atrocious and you won't get back in the house very soon.

As for wild turkeys; I've had close encounters with them a few times and it is frightening. The worst was the first time; riding along the road, clear view ahead and suddenly a massive bird launches out of the trees on the right and flies across my path right at chest height and narrowly misses taking me out.

Oh yeah- toes curled in boots, sudden sphincter awareness moment. The adrenalin rush follows and I think 'what if ...'?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I was lucky in this one was small bird, there's a farm near by and it could have been a runaway young one, PLUS I was just chugging along at maybe 30-35. Didn't even knock the windshield all the way off just broke one side where it mounts and cracked the other. I put the factory shield back on and will think about what I want to do as far as a taller one goes later.

BUT it was more than enough to get MY attention.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 02-19-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Many years ago, a fat pigeon flew in front of me and I hit it with the top of my helmet. Everything got dark and I saw stars, but I just kept riding until it passed (it was a straight, flat road). Another memorable moment in my motorcycling career. Congrats on getting through your incident safely!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Nothing as dramatic here but the incidents were a little unsettling nonetheless. Many, many years ago ('58 Harley flathead Sportster and open face helmet days) I was struck on the cheek just to the left of my nose by a three pound June Bug apparently made entirely of depleted uranium. Ouch! I still have the scar.

Some years later (Norton Commando Interstate and a Bell Star full face helmet), an unoffending wasp out on an afternoon's training flight flew up under the helmet chin bar and directly into my beard where it became really upset and wasted no time letting me know about it. Double ouch. Not looking forward to encountering anything larger no matter how much longer I ride.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode