6Likes
  • 3 Post By OX-34
  • 1 Post By OX-34
  • 1 Post By OX-34
  • 1 Post By OX-34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

2000km day ride

I had my little Versys 650 LAMs bike serviced and had fresh tyres fitted a week or so ago and I thought "I've only ridden it 4 times" so I should take it for a spin. Since riding the first 1000km day last summer, the bike has lived away up the coast but I only pillion my nephew "Nevertire Nic" on it every now and then.

Last week my mate and fellow Versys rider TigerBill and I were in the shed and he showed me how to wire a 5 pin relay. I had some spare lights hanging around so fitted them up. Now I have spots on highbeam and low, wide gutter lights on low beam. Slipped on a throttle lock, RAMmed up a GPS, squeezed a 10L jerry can into the top box and the bike was ready to get going.

With a start in Hexham just north of Newcastle at 00:20hr Saturday morning (Odo 6472km) I headed south into a lovely night of riding. Not hot, not cold - ok, a bit cold by Goulburn.

Typical of me it seems, I had no idea of the tank range on the Versys heading off on a distance ride. This is the third generation and has now grown a 21litre tank. On a low powered bike that weighs about 210kg wet, that should give a range of 400km or so. With that 10L in the jerry can I could maybe get 600km range.

It’s a lumpy little twin at low revs, but smoothes right out at the speed limit and travels along nicely. I stopped at a roadside stop south of Goulburn and had drink while I put in the 10L but otherwise just cruised along in the dark until South Gundagai (05:27hr, 7010km odo, 528km GPS). At that point the LAMS bike (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) was happily holding pace.

The sun came up behind me soon enough as by then I’d swung west along the Sturt Highway. Still great conditions for riding. I’d seen maybe 4 kangaroos on the Hume Highway, but no wildlife out here, through the town of Wagga without putting my feet down and with the roadside vegetation thinning I made it out as far as Hay. (09:03hr, 7361km odo, 873km GPS). I refilled the jerry, having carried it empty through the last leg and topped up the front tank for a total of 28.33L.

From here it started to get warm. North toward the Kidman Way across the Hay plain - the flattest place in the world:

I paused a couple of times, first in Merriwagga to pour water up my sleeves and down my back at a great Iron Butt Motel just off the main road, then again just up the road at Hillston for more drink supplies. It was still well before midday, but the temp was in the high 30Cs so I kept a better watch on fluids from here on in.

The last time I road the Kidman Way was with Nevertire Nic on the back, heading south for the Iron Butt Association Muster in Parkes last July. Cold, green goat-manicured grass and pretty that time, the road was now white hot and fringed by dry long grass with only one goat in sight.

I hid in the shade at the Grain Road turn-off and topped up the tank with the jerry can, washed my face, sucked on the diluted Gatorade from my Camel Bak and wondered what the hell I was doing out here…. 42C is hot.

Next stop Cobar (13:48hr, 7797km odo, 1301km GPS)

I put 10.5L into the front tank and left the empty jerry in the back – not needed from here on in. A couple of quick phone calls, a full wet down of the under layer to fight the heat and headed east for the first time. At night time this bit of road can be entertaining, with all sorts of furry creatures on hand to keep a rider on his/her toes. Today it was just a nice green and red set of undulations straight to Nyngan followed by a flat green and gold run down the Mitchell to Nevertire, all at steady pace.

Turning northwest up the Oxley Highway I get that familiar ‘heading home’ feeling. Its still nearly 500km from Newcastle but feels like a well-worn commute. It is lumpy and bumpy and just meanders along through the farms at 110km/h with always something to catch your eye. I love this road. Approaching Gilgandra I could see some summer storms up ahead. I’d made my decision where I was heading – Coonabarabran – and wondered if I could thread the needle through the clouds. Nope. Riding faster than the storms, I passed through a few heavy patches with the cooling effect a blessing. The telltale tinkle of hailstones was company for a while.

Last fuel at Coona (18:10hr, 8197km odo, 1693km GPS) and a quick back-track for a turn south east onto the Warrumbungles Way. I’ve only ridden this road twice before. The first time was in the middle of the night with TigerBill northbound – looking for bonus locations on Ghosty’s practice rally. The second time was again with TigerBill on our ‘IceMan’ LDLR last summer on an equally hot day. Today was a gem. No traffic at all, just a private road run through little valleys across creeks and through farmland framed by blue sky and green hills. Beautiful country. I carried on at the same angle through Coolah onto the twistier Vinegaroy Road to Cassilis.

From here it really is nearly home.

With the sun behind me and again no traffic the final couple of hundred kays was a nice relaxed way to finish the day ride , arriving home in Newcastle 22:20hr, 8562km odo, 2053km GPS.

onewizard, Gigitt and CaMoTe!!! like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM

Garage
well done Ox, thats quite a marathon!
I bet you slept like a log.
I'm guessing you've done 2000km on about 70 Litres, would that be right?

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Tomasama it was a nice little ride.

I didn't fill up at the end, but I'd used 72.48L before the final 360km leg. If I used fuel at the same rate my total use would have been about 88 litres for the loop.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

That Is a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
I had my little Versys 650 LAMs bike serviced and had fresh tyres fitted a week or so ago and I thought "I've only ridden it 4 times" so I should take it for a spin. Since riding the first 1000km day last summer, the bike has lived away up the coast but I only pillion my nephew "Nevertire Nic" on it every now and then.

Last week my mate and fellow Versys rider TigerBill and I were in the shed and he showed me how to wire a 5 pin relay. I had some spare lights hanging around so fitted them up. Now I have spots on highbeam and low, wide gutter lights on low beam. Slipped on a throttle lock, RAMmed up a GPS, squeezed a 10L jerry can into the top box and the bike was ready to get going.

With a start in Hexham just north of Newcastle at 00:20hr Saturday morning (Odo 6472km) I headed south into a lovely night of riding. Not hot, not cold - ok, a bit cold by Goulburn.

Typical of me it seems, I had no idea of the tank range on the Versys heading off on a distance ride. This is the third generation and has now grown a 21litre tank. On a low powered bike that weighs about 210kg wet, that should give a range of 400km or so. With that 10L in the jerry can I could maybe get 600km range.

It’s a lumpy little twin at low revs, but smoothes right out at the speed limit and travels along nicely. I stopped at a roadside stop south of Goulburn and had drink while I put in the 10L but otherwise just cruised along in the dark until South Gundagai (05:27hr, 7010km odo, 528km GPS). At that point the LAMS bike (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) was happily holding pace.

The sun came up behind me soon enough as by then I’d swung west along the Sturt Highway. Still great conditions for riding. I’d seen maybe 4 kangaroos on the Hume Highway, but no wildlife out here, through the town of Wagga without putting my feet down and with the roadside vegetation thinning I made it out as far as Hay. (09:03hr, 7361km odo, 873km GPS). I refilled the jerry, having carried it empty through the last leg and topped up the front tank for a total of 28.33L.

From here it started to get warm. North toward the Kidman Way across the Hay plain - the flattest place in the world:

I paused a couple of times, first in Merriwagga to pour water up my sleeves and down my back at a great Iron Butt Motel just off the main road, then again just up the road at Hillston for more drink supplies. It was still well before midday, but the temp was in the high 30Cs so I kept a better watch on fluids from here on in.

The last time I road the Kidman Way was with Nevertire Nic on the back, heading south for the Iron Butt Association Muster in Parkes last July. Cold, green goat-manicured grass and pretty that time, the road was now white hot and fringed by dry long grass with only one goat in sight.

I hid in the shade at the Grain Road turn-off and topped up the tank with the jerry can, washed my face, sucked on the diluted Gatorade from my Camel Bak and wondered what the hell I was doing out here…. 42C is hot.

Next stop Cobar (13:48hr, 7797km odo, 1301km GPS)

I put 10.5L into the front tank and left the empty jerry in the back – not needed from here on in. A couple of quick phone calls, a full wet down of the under layer to fight the heat and headed east for the first time. At night time this bit of road can be entertaining, with all sorts of furry creatures on hand to keep a rider on his/her toes. Today it was just a nice green and red set of undulations straight to Nyngan followed by a flat green and gold run down the Mitchell to Nevertire, all at steady pace.

Turning northwest up the Oxley Highway I get that familiar ‘heading home’ feeling. Its still nearly 500km from Newcastle but feels like a well-worn commute. It is lumpy and bumpy and just meanders along through the farms at 110km/h with always something to catch your eye. I love this road. Approaching Gilgandra I could see some summer storms up ahead. I’d made my decision where I was heading – Coonabarabran – and wondered if I could thread the needle through the clouds. Nope. Riding faster than the storms, I passed through a few heavy patches with the cooling effect a blessing. The telltale tinkle of hailstones was company for a while.

Last fuel at Coona (18:10hr, 8197km odo, 1693km GPS) and a quick back-track for a turn south east onto the Warrumbungles Way. I’ve only ridden this road twice before. The first time was in the middle of the night with TigerBill northbound – looking for bonus locations on Ghosty’s practice rally. The second time was again with TigerBill on our ‘IceMan’ LDLR last summer on an equally hot day. Today was a gem. No traffic at all, just a private road run through little valleys across creeks and through farmland framed by blue sky and green hills. Beautiful country. I carried on at the same angle through Coolah onto the twistier Vinegaroy Road to Cassilis.

From here it really is nearly home.

With the sun behind me and again no traffic the final couple of hundred kays was a nice relaxed way to finish the day ride , arriving home in Newcastle 22:20hr, 8562km odo, 2053km GPS.

At that pace, you could do the east coast in a couple days.Nice ride report.
I was planning on coming April May. Now changed to November December. Starting in Melbourne, was looking at renting a bike, now looking at possibly buying a club bike, I have a relative in Eldon, that is moving towards Melbourne in late February.So this will be my second time in OZ and first time riding a bike there. I almost feel embarrassed to say I drove 2000 KM while there in 2013, went up to mount Buffalo, did the great Ocean Road, did the Black Spur and was over near Eldon / Alexandra, also in the Newcastle area and up in the Hunter Valley region, Eagle Reach Resort, the Merewether Beach was my wifes favourite, also up in Cairns. The route we have planned is about 2000 KM, starting and ending in Melbourne over 5 days.My plan this time is to stay around 60 days to a max of 90, depending what we need to see everything. Some of that will be allowed for TAS, looking at taking the ferry over.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Garage
That looks great Ox. Sitting here in the snow wishing I was there! Thanks for the pics and report.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
At that pace, you could do the east coast in a couple days.Nice ride report.
I was planning on coming April May. Now changed to November December. Starting in Melbourne, was looking at renting a bike, now looking at possibly buying a club bike, I have a relative in Eldon, that is moving towards Melbourne in late February.So this will be my second time in OZ and first time riding a bike there. I almost feel embarrassed to say I drove 2000 KM while there in 2013, went up to mount Buffalo, did the great Ocean Road, did the Black Spur and was over near Eldon / Alexandra, also in the Newcastle area and up in the Hunter Valley region, Eagle Reach Resort, the Merewether Beach was my wifes favourite, also up in Cairns. The route we have planned is about 2000 KM, starting and ending in Melbourne over 5 days.My plan this time is to stay around 60 days to a max of 90, depending what we need to see everything. Some of that will be allowed for TAS, looking at taking the ferry over.
You certainly did make the most of your 2000km and saw a bunch of stuff. I'm at Newcastle Beach, just a couple north of Merewether. With another 2000km over the 5 days you'll be able to see a lot of great roads. If you do decide to rent a bike, I'd recommend Garners in downtown Melbourne. They have a good range.

With Mr Trump at the helm its hard to predict which direction the USA/CAN/AUS dollar triangle will sail by November.
onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX-34 View Post
...With Mr Trump at the helm its hard to predict which direction the USA/CAN/AUS dollar triangle will sail by November.
W/ PM Trudeau (son of that OTHER Trudeau DISASTER!) at our helm - expect the Loonie to 'sink'....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
W/ PM Trudeau (son of that OTHER Trudeau DISASTER!) at our helm - expect the Loonie to 'sink'....
I may be going way out on a limb here (or not as it happens), but I sense that you aren't a fan of the family Trudeau. I'm not terribly insightful but the capitalized word above does tend to illuminate your feelings. I wonder if it has something to do with so-called (disclaimer: I borrowed so-called from our Tweeter in Chief) leaders whose family name begins with the letter T?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
... I wonder if it has something to do with so-called (disclaimer: I borrowed so-called from our Tweeter in Chief) leaders whose family name begins with the letter T?
At least you 'Murricans get to vote for YOUR pres...! In Canada, whoever lives in the riding that has the leader of the party winning the most seats running for election - they are the ONLY ones voting for or AGAINST him.

The rest of us vote for the candidates in our ridings..., WHOEVER they might be.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Damn it Ox-34... I wish I had your concrete butt !!!
That is a outstanding effort to ride over 2000km in 24 hours - did you log it for an IBR?

I just came back from SE QLD on Monday where I rode the hinterlands and mountain roads. I did 2000 km in the first 4 days then spent 2 days nursing bum bone welts from excessive twisty riding on poor bumpy QLD roads on my Super Tenere! Had to rest up before my 820km ride home from Tweed Heads to Sydney.

I don't no how you do it... I salute you!

I think I need to lose 50kg!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Damn it Ox-34... I wish I had your concrete butt !!!
That is a outstanding effort to ride over 2000km in 24 hours - did you log it for an IBR?

I just came back from SE QLD on Monday where I rode the hinterlands and mountain roads. I did 2000 km in the first 4 days then spent 2 days nursing bum bone welts from excessive twisty riding on poor bumpy QLD roads on my Super Tenere! Had to rest up before my 820km ride home from Tweed Heads to Sydney.

I don't no how you do it... I salute you!

I think I need to lose 50kg!
Yes Gigitt, I logged it for the IBA (Iron Butt Association), not the IBR (Iron Butt Rally - that's a special event that kicks off next time this coming June 26th in Minnesota, USA).

I've ridden some of those same roads and distances on my Tenere:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
At least you 'Murricans get to vote for YOUR pres...! In Canada, whoever lives in the riding that has the leader of the party winning the most seats running for election - they are the ONLY ones voting for or AGAINST him.

The rest of us vote for the candidates in our ridings..., WHOEVER they might be.
Eddie, I'm not familiar with the word riding in this context? Have I led a sheltered life perhaps?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Eddie, I'm not familiar with the word riding in this context?....
"Ridings" is a term used to designate the area that votes for each candidate-group. For example, it MIGHT be "Edmonton-East" or something similar. Help?

ONLY the people in the 'riding' our prime minister is 'running' in get to vote for (or AGAINST) HIM.

Ed

..)

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoting my old friend Darth Vader, "IMPRESSIVE". When riding, what was your normal speed. If you went 2,000K in 22 hours, and rested for 3 hours total, that would average out to around 105?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

rayj,

The first 900km or so of the trip was mainly in 110km/h zones and I had an overall average (O/A) of 105km/h having only stopped for a jerry can top up and one tankful. After that the temperatures rose and I was stopping more for water to pour down my suit. I 'rested' about 10 minutes while on the phone in the town of Cobar, otherwise it was only quick fuel stops. The O/A reduced further in the second half of the trip as the roads became twistier and speed limits reduced.

My normal speed was the posted speed limit or just a couple over.
onewizard likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

The Iron Butt Association certified my ride:

onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode