"Breaking-in" a new Shinko DS tire... on the Apache Trail...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

5Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"Breaking-in" a new Shinko DS tire... on the Apache Trail...!

Got the new Shinko E705 rear installed on Thursday, so Friday was time to get it 'broken-in'. Suited-up (sunny w/ forecast for 65F), headed out at noon, N on pavement to Apache Junction for the start of the Apache Trail, AZ 88, which was used to supply materials for the Roosevelt Dam when it was being constructed.

First landmarks - the Superstition Mountains

just off the paved road, near Goldfield Ghost town, and another dozen paved miles to Tortilla Flat in the center of these two pics.

There are still another six miles to the end-of-pavement, but some really nice twisties in those six...

At the start of the dirt, the road was FULL of potholes and erosion lines as much as 12" deep, so I was on-the-pegs twisting BIG RED back-and-forth, not thinking of a pic till I was thru the worst of it, and approaching the Fish Creek Hill where I took these....

From the bottom of the Hill the road had been graded (somewhat), and the riding was easier.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

As I mentioned - the road was 'smoother',

here looking back UP to where I had just descended from.

Apache Lake will be the next man-made landmark after sights like this.

The dirt road I'd just ridden is visible in the center, running down that ridge, as well as just below my position.

Now we're getting closer to the dam...

The air seemed crystal clear yesterday

and soon the Dam came into view, so I decided to take some pics of it, as I usually don't bother to stop....

(LOTS of reflections in this shot...)

The "Rainbow Bridge" w/ Roosevelt Lake behind it.

Now back onto pavement for the hour and twenty "slog" back to home

via Globe, Miami, Superior, arriving home after about FOUR really FINE hours...!

- - -
PHX_Joe likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 PM

Nice trip & photos. The dam is very "Hooverish" except the arch bridge is on the other side. Maybe I missed it but what was the riding temperature?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:29 PM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Nice pics Eddie.........I rode the paved portion of that I think, but since I was riding the Vulcan 1500 I turned around when the pavement petered out........kind of reminds me of the Pima Canyon Trail outside of Tucson.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
As I mentioned - the road was 'smoother',

via Globe, Miami, Superior, arriving home after about FOUR really FINE hours...!

- - -
I have no idea how you find the time to call, awesome pictures, my teleporter isn't working , need to get right on that.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
Nice trip & photos. The dam is very "Hooverish" except the arch bridge is on the other side. Maybe I missed it but what was the riding temperature?
About 65F, colder as I climbed, and wind-chill. I was 'dressed' for it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Nice pics Eddie.........I rode the paved portion of that I think, but since I was riding the Vulcan 1500 I turned around when the pavement petered out........kind of reminds me of the Pima Canyon Trail outside of Tucson.
Haven't ridden that one near Tucson - where is it exactly? I led a friend on a Harley 'dresser' w/ his wife riding pillion thru that WHOLE (and YES, that means the wash-boardy dirt!) ride a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have no idea how you find the time to call, awesome pictures, my teleporter isn't working , need to get right on that.
It's known as AWESOME time-management skills...

...and being retired MIGHT help a bit....

Joey Rocket Films likes this.

Ed

..)

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM

Just Google "Pima Canyon Trail" and it will pop up with a map. It goes ENE out of Tucson.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM

Hey where's the pic of the new tire ?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 PM

"Breaking-in" a new Shinko DS tire... on the Apache Trail...!

May I have a couple specs on that Nuvi? Model and a few quick thoughts please. I might be in the market.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Hey where's the pic of the new tire ?
Right HERE (and in a thread I posted in "Technical Discussions"... Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties )

Ed

..)

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
May I have a couple specs on that Nuvi? Model and a few quick thoughts please. I might be in the market.
It's the Nuvi 550 - waterproof, and PROBABLY, out-of-production now. Good luck.
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

Ed

..)

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Just Google "Pima Canyon Trail" and it will pop up with a map. It goes ENE out of Tucson.
Looks to me as if it's a 'walking trail'....

Ed

..)

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Right HERE (and in a thread I posted in "Technical Discussions"... Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties )

You need bigger tail lights

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 PM

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Looks to me as if it's a 'walking trail'....
Perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong one............
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
You need bigger tail lights
I WAS thinking '59 Chev tail-lights, OR '59 Caddie....

Ed

..)

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 PM
FMB

Garage
Awesome and inspiring, thank you.

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode