riding some dirt to Dudleyville (and BACK!), 30 December '16...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

riding some dirt to Dudleyville (and BACK!), 30 December '16...!

Considering that the forecast is for some rain over the next few days, but showing yesterday's as NOT raining as well as 'reasonable' temps, I grabbed the camera and headed S to the Florence-Kelvin Road and E to the intersection w/ the Barkerville Road to get in a "little dirt" before those roads become impassable in mud.

This pic shows the wash and the Barkerville Road (it's just past the traffic sign in the center), and the LAST pic will be from the other end looking to THIS part!

This is the 'wash' looking N (and I can't imagine being here when it's in flood!),

and this is the first 50' of that Barkerville Road, followed by a FEW () more as I headed S for around 30 miles to the Freeman Road....

You can see where a grader repaired a wash-out (on these roads it's a VERY good idea to be standing on the footpegs whenever you see a wash crossing the road, as the soft sand/gravel mix can be quite deep, and wash out the front wheel if you're not careful!)

and just past here is the intersection w/ the Freeman Road, which goes about another 17 miles E to the San Pedro River and Dudleyville.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

heading E on the Freeman Rd...

After the turn I could see some clouds hovering on the tops of some mountains

and the hope that the San Pedro wasn't in 'flood' crossed my mind....

Altho' I'd ridden this road quite often, I hadn't noticed the "Arizona Trail" markers, so I pulled in for a look.

Motorized traffic isn't allowed on the Trail, so I crossed the entrance barring vehicles to see this covered rest area dedicated to someone who's 'passed-on'...

this cactus in bloom a few feet away.

Back onto the Freeman Rd and headed E.

Another time on this road, CLOSE to the San Pedro, I'd crossed a quite deep area of sand/gravel so I was really watching for it, but w/ the sun directly behind me washing-out the details, I didn't see it till I was into it (DEEP AGAIN!!!) fighting for control...! When I FINALLY was thru it, able to stop and take some deep breaths, I took this pic, still facing E.

Still concerned about the San Pedro being in flood (here's a pic I took a few years back when it was about half a foot deep...)

I was only SLIGHTLY concerned when I saw that it was mud, but had two good-looking ruts thru, so I rode across, stopped, then walked back for this shot.

Then returned to the bike

and back onto pavement, NE then N at Winkelman. There's a town called Hayden a couple of miles past Winkelman - never stopped there before, so I took a little detour. Fairly poor looking, "shuttered" buildings apparent everywhere...

but a large "cop-shop", EIGHT police vehicles on the street in front...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-31-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

completing the "loop"...

From Hayden it's about 14 miles of asphalt till the "Florence/Kelvin Road" sign sent me back W, back onto a desert dirt road

From here you can make out the road, coming from center right, then angling up and left till it climbs over the hills

so I stopped at a vantage point across the valley, then took a pic back to where the last one was taken.

It's intriguing how the desert can change its look in just a FEW miles, this jumble of smooth boulders illustrating my point....

Just a few miles further the Florence/Kelvin becomes paved again, and I stopped for this pic of the same 'wash' as in the first pic, this time pointed W.

Half an hour later I pulled into my garage, ending a 128 mile, 4 hour GREAT ride...!

I have NO idea exactly WHAT happened to that number in the "highest speed" window....

steve1503 likes this.

Ed

..)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
What kind of tires are you using?

I was using stock tires on my first road trip and it felt terrible on the little bit of dirt that I ended up riding on to get to campsites and etc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkbeef View Post
What kind of tires are you using?

I was using stock tires on my first road trip and it felt terrible on the little bit of dirt that I ended up riding on to get to campsites and etc.
I'm running Metzler Tourance rubber on the '08, w/ a set of Shinko E705s waiting as the next set.

BTW - I rode MANY miles of dirt on the OEM Dunlops on EACH of my three V 650s, CAREFULLY, I might add....

Ed

..)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Great pics, and write-up.

Thanks for sharing
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Keep riding and posting Eddie..............I'm getting a serious case of cabin fever (can't get my 5th wheel out to even head south). Reading about rides helps.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkbeef View Post
...I was using stock tires on my first road trip and it felt terrible on the little bit of dirt that I ended up riding on to get to campsites and etc.
Just a comment - were you standing on your foot-pegs, or sitting? WAY-Y-Y better control standing.

-

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode