riding w/ some Forum inmates...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

riding w/ some Forum inmates...!

Awhile back, Joey Rocket Films, suggested that we have a get-together of AZ riders on the 17th December. PHX_Joe also joined in, saying he was "up" for one. Then I spoke w/ my neighbor Skip who has a white '15 650LT, and he was OK w/ the idea too.

I suggested a meet-and-greet lunch at the River Bottom Inn in Florence as I could show them some dirt roads around here (and if nobody else came, I'd show Skip a bunch of good dirt around here), then continue onto pavement.

Problem was that it rained AGAIN the night before, so, added to the rain from the 15th - MAYBE too wet to ride dirt. (Here it is mostly clay so it becomes virtually impassable when wet or damp....) I spoke w/ Skip, suggesting we head to the River Bottom Inn early to check the condition of the dirt, but seeing water pooled along our route to the River Bottom Inn made up our minds, so we came up w/ a thought about a ride that would NOT involve dirt IF the two 'Joes' agreed.

Meet time was 1130 (we arrived 1115ish), and just seconds before 1130 two Gen 2 V 650s pulled up to our Gen 1 and Gen 3 Vs.

The four of us shook hands, then, sitting at an outside table went over the tentative plan we'd come up w/, all of us agreeing to it AS LONG AS WE WENT INSIDE for lunch to get out of the chill. "Joey Rocket Films" was not wearing long-johns - just jeans and a leather riding jacket, so already 'cooled'....

Inside we went, ordered lunch, ate it, then back out to head N along AZ 79 to Florence Junction, followed by E onto AZ 60 thru Superior and Miami, and just as we touched Globe turned N onto AZ 188 for 16 miles to the Young Hwy, AZ 288.

288 is paved for about 27 miles, climbing to 5,947' ASL where the dirt starts, a very nice twisty piece of asphalt, and there was no stopping for pics till we hit the end of the pavement, VERY muddy off to the sides.

We lined the four Vs up, I set the camera on my tripod w/ the timer, hit the button and raced back to get into line.

From the left: Skip's '15, me leaning on PHX_Joe's Gen 2, then Skip, Joe and Joey, my Gen 1 and Joey's Gen 2. Here's a close-up of Skip, Joe and Joey.

The consensus was to stop on the way back down for pics - my first W into the glare of the sun

the second using my mirror (unfortunately Joey was 'sneaking-up' w/ his video cam, so he's that LITTLE white dot on the left of my mirror...)

and here is what was ahead of us 100 yards.

Hard to make out the roadway, but it runs from the left foreground out to the far central part.

I showed the muddy road into where I like to stop for a lunch break

and here it is in BETTER times (the AZBDR w/ jdrocks back in '14).

That is the "Four Peaks" in the background.

We continued, 'strafing' 288 to 188, thru to Globe and W on 60, stopping to show them a stone fence made "however-many-years-ago"

This has Joey trying to warm his hands in the exhaust of his V,

and Skip and Joe.

Skip broke off for home while I led the two Joes thru Queen Valley, onto Camino Viejo (Old Road...?), then the three of us said our good-byes, them heading W on 60 while I used 79 S to home, arriving at 1700hrs, 190 miles of GOOD riding added to the odometer!

GREAT to meet the guys, GREAT ride! Expect we'll do it again.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-18-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:08 PM

Garage
4-V's in one location thats rare....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:30 PM

Sounds like fun............some of that looks familiar but it must just be Arizona cause I haven't been where you were at.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 PM

Haha great post man! So descriptive however I think it was PHXJoe who took the initiative to set the date. I can't remember but it wasn't me. The only other thing you got wrong was I didn't get to vote on if we went inside! I think it was due to my youth if I remember correctly. And yes my hands got coooold but it was worth every second. I learned a new trick though about where to put my throttle hand if it gets chilly. Barkbusters just got bumped to the top of the (to get list). Had a great time and can't wait to do it again. Next time I Hot that road I'm not doing video so I can actually push it a bit more on the way down super fun roads! Thanks for guiding Eddie! Love your pace man. Looking forward to the next adventure. Here's my contribution to the media

Last edited by Joey Rocket Films; 12-21-2016 at 01:25 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Sounds like fun............some of that looks familiar but it must just be Arizona cause I haven't been where you were at.
oh yea. All AZ
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
first time I e seen more than 1 together so it was great for me. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing others setups and parts I've been contemplating buying. Great times.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 PM

Garage
Hi Eddie - love the write-up - wish I was there instead of snowy Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Here's my contribution to the media https://youtu.be/SLtQtBceNGw
Unfortunately I got a playback error

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi Eddie - love the write-up - wish I was there instead of snowy Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Here's my contribution to the media https://youtu.be/SLtQtBceNGw
Unfortunately I got a playback error
Weird. It just played from my cell phone and my computer.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 PM

Plays for me.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:25 PM

Garage
OK - It is the setup of my Chrome - it works OK on Edge (the new Internet Explorer)

Great video, thanks

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

Last edited by bigaussie; 12-18-2016 at 08:28 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 PM

Great ride write-up as usual Eddie. Sorry I had to miss it. It poured in Show Low Friday night and was cold, but sunny (high of 35 degrees F) on Saturday. Not on my V of course. Quite different at the River Bottom from when we had lunch with you on Thursday and sat outside in our shirt sleeves. Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
OK - It is the setup of my Chrome - it works OK on Edge (the new Internet Explorer)

Great video, thanks
Hey thanks man

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
While we were sitting outside at the River Bottom, about 4 or 5 bikes pulled in, and one was a '15 V 650 in green. Thought they were joining us, at first.

Quote:
Hi Eddie - love the write-up - wish I was there instead of snowy Victoria....
This is probably not nice Al... NYAA, NYAA, NYAA!

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
This is probably not nice Al... NYAA, NYAA, NYAA!

May Santa put a lump of coal in your stocking

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:50 PM

The more I look at the pics and video in this thread, the more I hate winter. I'm jealous.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
The more I look at the pics and video in this thread, the more I hate winter. I'm jealous.
I know your pain Dave, moved here to AZ from Connecticut and we got lots of snow and 10 degree or worse weather. It's nice to not ever have to winterize and store the bike away for the winter. We do have an extremely hot summers but the beauty is we can leave early in the morning and head north to higher elevations and be in the nicer weather. pros and cons..

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:27 PM

The fells
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4682.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	108866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	108874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	108882  

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 PM

I live in Florence and have a 650lt. I could have been your 5th rider! I didn't know that there were other Versys rider in these parts!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very nice
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie-in-az View Post
I live in Florence and have a 650lt. I could have been your 5th rider! I didn't know that there were other Versys rider in these parts!
Keep an eye out here. Subscribe and allow notifications.
Arizona Riders Meet Thread

And this one will show you where some of the other AZ riders are.
Versys Riders Location Google Map

Next time!

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode