My Versys, Mods and Media | Zombie Apocalypse 2.0 - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Question about gear indicator, does it have issues detecting the gear if you are creeping to a stop and downshifting, many I have seen on other bikes do, or when you are stopped and shift to first, N or second.

If you find a decent thermometer please post. The last one I had broke. About the only time I find a gear indicator would be useful, at least for myself, is when I'm on the highway and I'm not sure I'm in 6th or 5th or the bike is stopped and you need a reminder it is not in 1st.
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-11-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Question about gear indicator, does it have issues detecting the gear if you are creeping to a stop and downshifting, many I have seen on other bikes do, or when you are stopped and shift to first, N or second.

If you find a decent thermometer please post. The last one I had broke. About the only time I find a gear indicator would be useful, at least for myself, is when I'm on the highway and I'm not sure I'm in 6th or 5th or the bike is stopped and you need a reminder it is not in 1st.

Yea I bought it for pretty much the same reasons. For the most part I am just sick of trying to switch to 7th gear. Been doing it ever since I started riding.
As far as feedback goes I have none really. Haven't ridden the bike in weeks. It's under construction. I'll be sure to post a vid when I can though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...About the only time I find a gear indicator would be useful, at least for myself, is when I'm on the highway and I'm not sure I'm in 6th or 5th or the bike is stopped and you need a reminder it is not in 1st.
On my AZ '08 I get 7mph per 500rpm INDICATED on the speedo in 6th gear (5000rpm = 70 mph, etc), and on the BC '15 I get 10.5kph INDICATED per 500rpm in 6th gear (5000rpm = 105 kph).

What I do is look at the tach (say it's 4,500rpm), divide by 500 (or DOUBLE the 'thousands', in this case 4.5 x 2) then x 7 mph {or 10.5 kph}. THUS 4.5 x 2 is 9, and 9 x 7 = 63 mph {or 4.5 x 2 x 10.5 = 95 kph}.

I can quickly tell IF I'm in 6th or a lower gear (higher rpm, LESS speed in lower gears).

Hope this is NOT too esoteric....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.

post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
On my AZ '08 I get 7mph per 500rpm INDICATED on the speedo in 6th gear (5000rpm = 70 mph, etc), and on the BC '15 I get 10.5kph INDICATED per 500rpm in 6th gear.

What I do is look at the tach (say it's 4,500rpm), divide by 500 (or DOUBLE the 'thousands', in this case 4.5 x 2) then x 7 mph {or 10.5 kph}. THUS 4.5 x 2 is 9, and 9 x 7 = 63 mph {or 4.5 x 2 x 10.5 = 95 kph}.

I can quickly tell IF I'm in 6th or a lower gear (higher rpm, LESS speed in lower gears).

Hope this is NOT too esoteric....

That works too but for $40, no biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Kawasaki Versys 650 2010-2014 GPS Camera Phone Holder Accessory bar.

Ok so... one of the most recent mods I did was put an accessory bar behind the windshield.

Most people make their own and I'm not that guy so I paid someone who makes them. So far I'm happy with the product. Sure it cost way more than the one you or your buddy made but what ever...I can make more money and now that guy has more money to feed his family

Bought it off eBay (see pics for info on seller and price) I could not find it anywhere else on the web.
It's sturdy and came in black...score. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it when I first found it but knew I'd find a use for it.
I ended up mounting a speaker on it and so far so good. Came down from a wheelie and it's still there so that's good.

It can be placed in two different locations depending on how you have your windshield mounted. I opted for it below (not underneath) my shield attachment points. I popped those plastic fasteners out of the fairing and put in two more rubber grommets and done.

I like the product, seems well made and it's aesthetically pleasing. Shipping took awhile from Thailand. Maybe a month or a bit more. I'd recommend it. Outdoor bright pics are from eBay and the darker inside pics are from me.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM

That's pretty cool. Looks like you can mount in a couple of different ways with the windshield too. Simple. Thanks JRF!
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
That's pretty cool. Looks like you can mount in a couple of different ways with the windshield too. Simple. Thanks JRF!

You're very welcome Joe.
Yea I likes it. Not cheap in price for a metal bar but it was worth it to me.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Pretty simple to fab, I'm going to attempt one - maybe this weekend. Between materials and time, I'll spend all of that - nothing cheap on a motorcycle. Do you find/notice the speaker vibrates a lot?

Anyone have knowledge of vibration levels - dash mount vs handlebar mount? The gauge cluster appears to be rubber-isolated, is the dash particularly vibration prone? My intention is to mount my GPS and possibly spot tracker above the gauge cluster with a mount similar to what Joey has above. TIA.
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Pretty simple to fab, I'm going to attempt one - maybe this weekend. Between materials and time, I'll spend all of that - nothing cheap on a motorcycle. Do you find/notice the speaker vibrates a lot?

Anyone have knowledge of vibration levels - dash mount vs handlebar mount? The gauge cluster appears to be rubber-isolated, is the dash particularly vibration prone? My intention is to mount my GPS and possibly spot tracker above the gauge cluster with a mount similar to what Joey has above. TIA.

Cool, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

So far it doesn't seem to vibrate too bad but I haven't even put the whole bike back together yet so it's not secured the way it should be. I came down from a small wheelie and it didn't budge. Long dirt road/trail will be the best test probably.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Few riding pics from the day

Awesome riding today in this great AZ weather. Some pics from the GoPro and chesty mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 7.41.35 PM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	114857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 8.13.13 PM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	114865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 8.11.51 PM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	114873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 7.46.38 PM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	114881  

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:58 AM

Garage
Thanks for the pics. I lived in AZ for quite a while and miss it...my daughter and family live there and we visit as often as possible. Just can't get the Versys in the checked baggage...

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Thanks for the pics. I lived in AZ for quite a while and miss it...my daughter and family live there and we visit as often as possible. Just can't get the Versys in the checked baggage...
I THINK "Joey Rocket Films" has a 'spare'....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 PM

<snip>
If you find a decent thermometer please post. The last one I had broke.

<snip>

Formotion had (don't think they make 'em any more) an outstanding thermometer, I have one on Percy and the Black Pearl (2x Kawis).

Go rummage around dark corners of the internet for one. They ain't cheap, but I've *never* had one go south.

FWIW.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 02-08-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
My pleasure man! I'd miss it too if I left. Ship it!

Scroll to the bottom of the thread, I'm posting my first motovlog here in a sec. Road up south mountain and around the valley a bit. Enjoy!

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I THINK "Joey Rocket Films" has a 'spare'....
Haha yup, still got it, need to do fork seals

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
<snip>
If you find a decent thermometer please post. The last one I had broke.

<snip>

Formotion had (don't think they make 'em any more) an outstanding thermometer, I have one on Percy and the Black Pearl (2x Kawis).

Go rummage around dark corners of the internet for one. They ain't cheap, but I've *never* had one go south.

FWIW.
Huh? Thermometer?

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Motovlog #1

My accidental 1st MotoVlog to South Mountain Park on my Kawasaki Versys. I use an app sometimes for work called Live4 so I can stream live directly from my GoPro. Planned on going live for the ride home to get some practice using the app since it’s been awhile, ended up not going home and so now I have my first MotoVlog. I don’t really plan on being a motovlogger since time is limited but who knows… I can think of some cool reasons to continue to do this so I just might do that. Thanks for watching and feel free to drop a comment if you think I should or shouldn’t make more.

The ride starts in Chandler AZ and travels through Scottsdale AZ to South Mountain Park and end in downtown Phoenix AZ.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 PM

Funny, I went from a KLR to the Versys too. I went with the faster green MK1 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
So long story short I upgraded from the Zombie Apocalypse bike (KLR650) to an 08 V and quickly realized I wanted the second gen not the first so I decided to buy a used 2011 w/3500 miles on it and multiple bolt ons. I still have the 08 and I'll be selling it in the near future. This thread is a place for me to keep track of The Zombie Apocalypse 2.0 bike mod progress and to possibly help others make decisions on which model/mods they should get. I don't plan on doing anything too far out of the ordinary with my V but I'm in the process of making it mine.
I plan to ride mostly street, some off-road and eventually some track days. I have a fair amount experience in all three.
Im a videographer and photographer so I'll probably be posting some decent content in here eventually.

2009 650 Versys
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Funny, I went from a KLR to the Versys too. I went with the faster green MK1 though

Nice. I miss the KLR a little. Just a little

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Huh? Thermometer?
We don't need "no stinking thermometers"...!

I use a ROCK thermometer.... IF it's wet - it's raining; IF it's moving - it's windy; IF it's frosty - it's cold; and IF it's on fire - it's hot!

And you can ALWAYS hang it on a string from your handlebars, altho' that makes it DIFFICULT to see when it's "hot"....

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fender eliminator, mastech, mitas e-07, motodynamic, tkc80

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode