Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Rain, rain, go away... Dust 2 Dawson 2016 and OTHER adventures...!

19K views 98 replies 17 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm updating the pics from the "Photobucket" ones that got "disabled"....

Despite saying that my D2D ride last year was gonna be my last northern 'adventure', the thought of FINISHING last year's ride by seeing the friends in Alaska that I'd missed in 2015, THIS year, kept coming up, so finally I said "Whathehell..." and began planning....
:smile2:
As D2D was on Thursday and Friday of the Solstice, the 16th and 17th, I decided that leaving on the 11th June would get me there in 'plenty' of time for all the festivities (...little did I know...!), so made plans to ride N on the first day w/ a neighbor on his Ducati, then he'd turn E while I turned W, on Day 2.

First up was installing new Shinko E705 tires, then planning how I'd pack w/ the factory saddle-bags. Essentially I decided to carry food and cooking gear, along w/ running shoes (for around camp) and a few other essentials in the right-side bag.

In the left-side bag I figured to carry tools, spare bits (clutch cable), WD40 for the chain (in a 'surplus' spray bottle) as well as an aluminum container holding more, my crutch-stand, and extra clothes in a 'stuff-bag', plus my tripod (later carried attached to my 'canoe' bag).

Next was adding the canoe bag to the aluminum rack I'd made, and NOW - READY to go!!!

:thumb: - :thumb:

Of course - in THAT pic you can NOT see the heavy rain that was happening (the day before departure...)!

Didn't matter what tomorrow would bring, we were leaving BY 0700...!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Day 1 - 11 June '16 [home > Hixon, BC]

Up at my usual time - oh-dark-thirty - pulled up the blind....

CLEAR blue skies! :thumb: - :thumb: Bit of a pleasant surprise after yesterday's rain, but - I'll 'take it'!!!

Had a shower, brekkie, put on my gear, then pushed the GREEN HORNET TOO out for my traditional 'leaving photo'. Couldn't quite understand my wife's directions till I looked at the pic (several neighbors in the process of moving in)....

Up to John's place, he doing the final touches to his Ducati, pushed it outside then we hit the road at 0650, headed N then NW. Ten minutes up the road we stopped to check tightness of tie-downs, etc, and I took these.

Our routing was thru Kamloops, then N on BC 97 thru the Cariboo region, where John went to "Tims" for a sandwich while I visited the 100 Mile House visitors center, WD40'd my chain, then had my snack for lunch.

Those clouds in the distance convinced me to put rain-gear on....

Good choice, as rain started shortly after we headed N again, in fact so MUCH that I didn't take my camera out till our camp.

Just before Hixon the road was 'torn-up' for (probably) 50 kms, it was "raining buckets", so when we got a site at my usual campground there, just as it moderated to a light shower, I took this pic of the day's progress on my odometer then got busy making camp.

We decided to forgo cooking in rain, went across the road to a tavern where we had the local hamburger special. The "Hixon Burger" - 2 patties, cheese, bacon & mushrooms - washed down w/ a couple of beers, then back into our tents and sleeping bags.

Today had been 657.5 kms (408 miles) in a total of 11 hours of riding, more than half in rain-gear!

Wonder if THAT will be a trend...?

:goodluck:

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Day 2 - 12 June '16 [Hixon, BC > Kinaskin Lake, BC]]

Woke up pretty early (0430 hrs), took a look outside. EUREKA! The skies are CLEARING...!

I shaved and brushed my teeth, cooked my 'usual' breakfast while breaking camp at the same time - quietly so as not to wake John, as our trails would part at Prince George - he heading E, me turning W along BC 16, the Yellowhead Hwy. Saw his head poke out from his tent-fly, so we continued breaking camp together, his plan to get grub on the road, and we left there at 0615. Because they are the most difficult of my rain-gear to put on, I started out wearing the pants, my camera in the tank-bag (and inside a plastic bag!).

We waved good-bye just S of Prince George, and I filled up w/ gas before setting course W.

The weather was looking more and MORE gloomy the further W I rode, and at Vanderhoof I added the rest of the rain-gear at 0815.

The day was composed of intermittent moderate rain-showers, and the NEXT pic I took was at 1507, shortly before I turned N onto the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy, BC 37, at Kitwanga.

This was taken shortly after turning N - a "BIT" of sunlight working its way thru the clouds, and, even wet that highway is 'some' pretty.

This little fellow gave my a 'haughty' look before continuing into the weeds....

It was STILL "in-and-out" of showers going N, but, still very pretty....

I filled-up again, at Bell 2, the sun starting to show a bit more of itself. By this time - 1630 - I'd been riding for about 10 hrs 15 min, hoping to make Kinaskin Lake Provincial Park, and I hoped, out of the rain..., to make camp.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
more Day 2...!

I went thru ANOTHER heavy shower for 35 kms which (thankfully!) ended about 10 minutes before I turned into the Kinaskin Lake Park. I saw that the ground was totally DRY, so I went at it w/ a vengeance, hoping to get the tent up BEFORE it rained again, as the 'park-lady' arrived to get the money, telling me "It's been dry all day...." to which I replied - "It was raining like hell just S of here, not 20 minutes ago!"

I finished putting the rain-fly on, my gear into the tent, wrote her a checque, then quickly WD40'd the chain, then - guess what...? It started raining, fairly gently THIS time. Once that small one passed, I walked around w/ my camera, this the view N across the lake and this one back towards my tent where supper would be underway SOON...!

Today added 907 kms (562 miles) in 11 hours 15 minutes, my butt wasn't sore..., and that sleeping bag SURE looked good!

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Day 3 - 13 June '16 [Kinaskin Lake, BC > Whitehorse]]

Woke up at 0500 - looked outside - MOSTLY clear! A bit chilly, but MAYBE no rain...? Got busy making breakfast then ate it, broke camp, loaded the bike, but put my rain-gear ON - just in case - then left camp at 0640.

Lookin' GOOD...!

Then around another corner to THIS... so the rain-gear was again put to work, and by 1000 I was in 'moderate' rain showers, my camera in the tank bag in a plastic bag. Soon the rain let-up and the camera back around my neck, only for the weather to turn 'crappers' again.

I saw rabbits along the shoulders, and realized that they were getting salt from where it had been spread over winter.

Gassed at Dease Lake.

One (???) nice thing about rain - sometimes you get a rainbow.... then continued N.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Day 3 continued...[and pics are NO LONGER in the text!]

Even in marginal conditions, the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy is very scenic.

It WAS dry, so I rode into a 'pull-over' and WD40'ed my chain.

Around a corner to see another black bear, this one a brown phase.

Towards the top of 37 is a burned-out area (OLD!) which at least lets you know you're CLOSE to the Alcan, Hwy 1 up there, and the YUKON sign 'signs the deal'...!

The bike had been thru a "bit" of rain and mud, and after gassing at the Junction Gas station, we were headed W on Hwy 1, soon into signs saying "EXTREME DUSTY CONDITIONS, LOOSE GRAVEL", but the gravel had been laid awhile back and had been pushed well into the asphalt so those areas were actually 'fairly' nice to ride on.

BUT - there were still showers in all quadrants...!:frown2:

The GPS was indicating that I could get to Takhini Hot Springs by 1720, the RANGE on the Gen 3 trip-computor was indicating I could get to Whitehorse w/out refuelling..., but using a LITTLE discretion, I added 4L at Jakes Corner as 'insurance', then continued, dark clouds now looming to the N where I would soon be turning, gassing in Whitehorse to the tune of making just over 22L (combining w/ THAT 4L...), and as I can get 22.5L in, I MIGHT have made it....

:wink2:

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Day 3 continued...

Remember the dark clouds I mentioned over Whitehorse? They were the DARKEST I had seen in several days, and they "opened-up" just as I finished filling my tank.

My gear was already on, except for waterproof rain gloves, and I put them on before I rode W, N, and W again in pretty heavy rain. I pulled into the Hotsprings Campground, put the bike on its stand where it looked a bit rocky, then inside. I was standing there, dripping water, while the clerk spent 15 minutes explaining to a couple how to use the dormitory INSIDE the building we were in, then quickly finished w/ me to get back to that couple.

Despite having the large foot on my stand, I fumbled in my pockets till I found the 4" square aluminum plate I'd made and set it under the stand, then got off the bike....

It HELD, so I got busy setting up camp, threw my gear into the tent and walked over to the Hotsprings building where there's a small cafe (as well as the hot pools) where I hoped to get a hot-meal and a COLD-beer....

The gal brought my menu.... NO burgers, NO pizzas, just ten or so different types of crepes...! Gimme a break!

Finally I settled on one that was 8" w/ cheese, mushrooms, ham, french fries on the 'side' plus a cold pint..., or TWO.

:wink2:

Spent a nice half an hour in the hotter of the two pools (around 104F), had a nice warm shower, then back to my tent (STILL raining, of course) and into my dry sleeping bag where I was 'lull-a-byed' by the rain hitting the tent.

Today I had ridden 859.7 kms (533 miles) in 11 hours...! What would tomorrow bring?

:rolleyes:

Attachments

#13 ·
Hey F-Eddie,
Great reporting, I admire your ingenuity, like the bottom of a crutch for lifting one side of the swingarm. I was going to make something similar, but I see those things at thrift stores all the time. I'll grab one. What do you use to lock the front brake lever?
On your bike, you have rim stripes, are those stock? My '15 LT didn't have 'em. I think white ones (reflective) on my white bike would look good.
When you have an extra minute would you tell us exactly what size, make and model those tires are please? I will replace the stock ones with something like those. How many miles do you typically get from them? Are they spendy? How's the feel of them on paved roads? I like your determination to carry a boat with you, I hope you don't have to use it... because I think the V would sink it. Just kidding.. I thought maybe it really rains hard up north. Here's hoping you stay safe, and have a good trip. Thanks for the great pics too!
MLJ

#14 · (Edited)
+1, I'm really interested in the tires. Look like they'd to okay on unpaved roads.

And thanks again for the trip report.

================

Went back to the beginning of the thread and now see where you said you installed Shinko 705's. What size did you use on the rear?

#15 ·
Keep the details and the pictures coming Fast Eddie. They are the perfect way to spend an afternoon in the house while it is 105 outside. But, Mike and I did make a donut ride to Florence today in the early part of the morning.

#17 · (Edited)
Day 4 - 14 June '16 [Whitehorse > Dawson City, Yukon]]

It rained ALL night, and I had visions of the sidestand sinking into the clay-mud putting the GREEN HORNET TOO onto its side, but I got out of the sleeping bag at 0630 and peered out - GREAT, IT'S STILL UP!!! I 'worked' "Charley-horses" out of BOTH my calves, then rolled over and got busy.

The rain was making a pattern on my rain-fly as I packed-up everything that I could, kneeling inside the tent, putting it into my "canoe-bag" to TRY to keep it dry, then I got ALL my gear on including the rain pants, jacket and over-booties, then CAUTIOUSLY backed out of my entrance (believe it or not, but the front zipper decided to NOT work properly, one side stuck at about 4" from the "6 o'clock" position - towards the right, facing OUT - and I was afraid to pull harder on it, less I make it TOTALLY inoperative!!!) then stood, surveying and planning my attack at dismantling it in moderate rain.:frown2:

I was able to break it down fairly quickly, tho' it was TOTALLY soaked by the time I had it rolled and put away into its sack, so I had decided to forgo making breakfast and stop at someplace on the highway, YT 2, making planning a BIT easier....

I got the bike loaded w/out dropping it on its side :)thumb: - :thumb: - :thumb:), then searched for an easier way OUT of the campground.

NOPE - back UP the clay road, rivulets of rain coursing down toward me, HOPING God would take pity on me, and NOT have me slide onto my side....

The Shinkos did a nice job, and I was able to ride up, then down the other side of the road w/ very LITTLE wheelspin, if any, then I got "thehelloutof" Takhini Hotsprings, out to YT 2 and headed N, still pouring rain, my camera in a plastic bag in the tank bag. Yuch!

About 45 minutes later the rain had SLIGHTLY abated, so I took a pic of the first sign for the Braeburn Lodge (where I intended to stop for a coffee and a cinnamon bun).

STILL raining, of course.... but soon I spotted the lodge, dismounted, then went in, the rain having let-up, at least - MOMENTARILY!

Besides serving some GOOD grub (and GREAT cinnabuns...!) it's also the start of a particularly gnarly sled-dog race, the Yukon Quest.

The 'serving wench' brought me my bun, then suggested she take a pic of it, and ME...!:surprise:

I chatted w/ another fellow in there, only realizing he was headed for D2D, also, when I saw his GS1200 outside as I got ready to mount.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Day 4 - continues...

It ACTUALLY was raining less as I headed N, stopping at this historic road-house, but it still looked foreboding the direction I was heading....:frown2:, - but 'petering-off' by Carmacks - now-and-then 'hints' of blue starting to appear and NOW more and more blue!!! - altho' that 'roll-cloud' over the hills looked ominous.

It was time for some lunch, and as I still had 2/3 of my cinnabun in my tank-bag, I stopped (in the SUN!) at the Information place in Pelly Crossing, to enjoy some warmth, and sweets. Part way thru it I looked up and saw HEAVY storm clouds rolling S over the hill just the other side of the Pelly River ahead, so everything back into my bag (including the camera), filled-up at the gas station, then headed N across the river, then W, the rain starting as I came around that hill. Another half hour and the skies were REALLY clearing...!

As I rode along the river towards Dawson, approaching the Dempster intersection I took this....

As I've "done" the Dempster twice before (and had no intention of 'doing' it again...) I turned into it and took my LAST 'starting the Dempster', and last 'ending the Dempster' pics for posterity.

Dempster Hwy - LOVED you once... farewell... don't love you anymore...!:sorry:

Rode into the Goldrush Campground in Dawson to find that NO places were available (my reservation was for the next day), :rolleyes: so I asked Blair (from Georgia on a Bimmer) to share, and he said yes.

When I said that my tent was PROBABLY the WETTEST one he'd ever see, he "rolled" his eyes, till I pulled it out of its sack, water running everywhere. It was PURE LUXURY letting the Yukon sun dry it for me....!

I had MADE IT, the weather was lookin' good, so I rode over to the liquor store to get a 6-pack of Big Rock Traditional beer to celebrate w/, w/ Blair!

Today had added 524.6 kms (325.3 miles) in 10 hours, and - it WASN'T RAINING!!!

Attachments

#19 ·
Send some of that rain here please, we are having a bad drought. Crops are hurting and my veg garden demands water that is getting in short supply (I have rainwater from the garage roof in five 60 Imperial gallon barrels).

In this rural area, if the crops fail the local economy suffers badly. The only upside to this is that I haven't had to mow the lawn for a month. Riding has been good, but it's hot and humid now, whereas June was hot with dry air.

My rain dance moves aren't working.

#21 · (Edited)
Day 5 - 15 June '16 [Dawson City, Yukon]

When I'm NOT on the road (or at least - not riding a LONG distance that day...:grin2:), I go for a couple of mile walk each morning, and here was no exception.

Woke early, shaved then cooked breakfast, grabbed the camera and headed out, first looking at what had come into the campground last evening. Among others - a Harley trike....

W/ the 'permafrost' here, buildings need to be ABOVE ground, or they'll melt the ground and collapse. Here are a few that are standing pretty well.

My walk had started going S from camp, then W, and now I was along the dike beside the river, the town SLOWLY coming awake....

Last evening a fellow - Glen - from Mississauga (Toronto area) had ridden in on a BMW 650, no place to stick his tent, so we "negotiated" a spot for him just down from where Blair was allowing me to share HIS spot, so, this morning Blair, Glen and I went for a ride up to the Dome which overlooks the area, as well as a bit of a 'tour'.... Glen on the left w/ Blair, and w/ me.

Then we rode back and I moved over a few spaces to the site I was to share w/ a KLR rider, Matt, out of Anchorage, leaving as much space as possible.

When that was done we three walked down to see what was happening at the "D2D HQ". Saw this older Kawi (W650...?) w/ 'locally processed' handguards,

Then 'the Dick' arrived, the fellow that sets ALL this up...! - at the "JJJ Hotel" that 'hosts' all this - and Joe, the fellow I'd met at the Braeburn Lodge while eating that GIANT cinnabun ) or at least - PART OF IT!

Then, as the afternoon progressed, we headed into the JJJ Bar for some Yukon Gold, a GREAT Yukon brew!!!

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Day 5 continued...

After a beer (or two...:yeahsmile:...), we went outback to the JJJ courtyard to check out how many riders were there already, then I walked back to my camp.

This is what the sunlight looks like at 1917 hrs in Dawson City, VIRTUALLY at the solstice, w/ the "Moosehide Slide" in the background, Goldrush Campground at the end on the left past the Church!

The three of us sat around our tents chatting till about 2230, then to bed.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Day 6 - 16 June '16 [Dawson City, Yukon]

Yesterday I'd made inquiries, then bought a "phone calling card" at the Post Office (???), so when I got up early this morning - NOT raining, BTW! - I went to the pay phone to call and let my wife know where (and how) I was.... Nice touching bases, then I grabbed the camera and started walking.

I had been to the cemeteries on the route to the Dome, but I found this one along the road to both Jack London's cabin, and that of Robert Service (he wrote "the Cremation of Sam McGee", among others).

Some very interesting current homes in the area (STILL built above ground of course).

I passed a gov't building that had two WW1 cannon, nicely restored, in the front.

There are MANY crows and raven in the north-country, so I took a pic of this one on my way to try a (WELL recommended) jalapeno and cheese scone, HOT out of the ovens at 0730...! VERY tasty....

BTW - "cheechako" means... a person newly arrived in the mining districts of Alaska or northwestern Canada. In other words - a "tenderfoot"....>:)

I was able to continue w/ a "walk-about" the rest of the day (MIGHT have included the JJJ for brewskis...:exactly:...), had supper, then headed back to the courtyard to see WHAT had arrived.

I stopped at the JJJ to find a crotch-rocket wearing knobbies. It's owned by the fellow who made that video of D2D, and here's a link to his video.

(I rode the Top of the World to Chicken in concert w/ him, passing and re-passing each other several times on the 18th.0

By this time a LOT more riders were in evidence in Dawson..., including (I believe) ELEVEN on Versys 650s, Gen 1, 2 and 3!

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Day 6 continued...

We were able to get our OFFICIAL D2D tees today, AND tickets for the steak-dinner (on day 7), ALWAYS a stand out, cooked by the Dawson Volunteer Fire Fighters, all proceeds to charity.

Finally got back to the campground to find another green '15 650LT (beezerbob), and had a nice chat about them, then met a few more V riders, including two gals from WA, one on a Gen 1 'green '09, the other on a black Gen 2.

By now the fellow I was sharing my site w/, Matt, had arrived and put up his tent, three of his friends there, talking and having some beers. Turned out that all FOUR are airline pilots in Anchorage, so I had a great time "telling lies" (which we call 'hangar-flying')....

Now to 'rest up' for tomorrow, the BIG "D2D day"....

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEVO8js6X6M&feature=em-share_video_user

This video by the crotch rocket with knobbies is amazing. Normally, my limited attention sp hey there's a squirrel! What? ... would not allow me to get through a 10 minute ride video, but this guy shot some great footage and put together one great show.

BTW, that would be Alaskajeff's Versys parked and on display at the 7:20 mark in the video. Not sure who is running the green Vs near the end of the show.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEVO8js6X6M&feature=em-share_video_user

This video by the crotch rocket with knobbies is amazing. Normally, my limited attention sp hey there's a squirrel! What? ... would not allow me to get through a 10 minute ride video, but this guy shot some great footage and put together one great show.

BTW, that would be Alaskajeff's Versys parked and on display at the 7:20 mark in the video. Not sure who is running the green Vs near the end of the show.[/quote]

Bad link to the video.

FIXED - fasteddie....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.