• 1 Post By unstable_rider
  • 2 Post By toaster404
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By zirconx
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Please - Solo or Pair/Group Touring?

As I gear up for my annual summer two-wheel solo excursion, I'm curious how many here prefer solo touring to pairs/group touring.

What is your preference and what reason(s) do you have for one over the other?

Thanks for your input.

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 PM

I prefer solo. I ride when I want to ride, eat when I want to eat, sleep when and where I want to sleep. When you ride with a group someone always need to take a leak or get some gas. I can make 600 -700 miles by myself and about 200 with a group.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I prefer solo. I ride when I want to ride, eat when I want to eat, sleep when and where I want to sleep. When you ride with a group someone always need to take a leak or get some gas. I can make 600 -700 miles by myself and about 200 with a group.

Ditto....
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Garage
Done both, both have advantages, both have disadvantages.
Solo as others said you please yourself as to what you do, how far and fast you travel, when to stop etc. My biggest solo trip was 5,000 km
The biggest trip I have ever done (8,000 km) was with a mate and the 2 of us had similar interests. We planned out the first 2/3 of the ride and left the last 1/3 pretty much open.
Good stuff about being with someone is some of your costs are shared, you can help each other out if something happens along the way. Most things we did together of course but if we needed space or had different interests we did our own thing.
ATYC likes this.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 06-19-2016 at 02:00 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Garage
To truly enjoy the trip or experience, solo riding. I could do the Country by myself. My biggest trip solo so far is only 2400mi round trip.

I consider pair riding similar to solo riding, because I'd only choose certain people to ride with. My wife being one of them, though she can be a bit slow.

Not a fan of groups at all. Its fun, like hanging out with friends. But you kinda get sick of all the bs, taking forever, and I think how most groups stagger is ridiculous. But that's a old school cruiser thing.

2015 Versys 650 ABS

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 06-18-2016 at 07:05 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 AM

Depends on the members of the group. Always know who you're riding with, their skillset, etc. There are a handful of folks I enjoy riding with, as we all have similar skills and mindsets. We always have the upfront convo about how often we should stop, how many miles a day we should do, general safety reminders. It also helps if at least a few of the members have communicators.

I also like riding by myself.

I hate riding in a large group with people I don't know, a recipe for a potentially bad day.

I think a group over 6 is unmanageable.
unstable_rider and my2wheels like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:09 AM

I usually ride with a couple of close friends around my age (old), so we are pretty compatible with restroom and gas stops. We also give ourselves plenty of time to enjoy the ride and the surroundings.
unstable_rider and quexpress like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Depends on the members of the group. Always know who you're riding with, their skillset, etc. There are a handful of folks I enjoy riding with, as we all have similar skills and mindsets. We always have the upfront convo about how often we should stop, how many miles a day we should do, general safety reminders. It also helps if at least a few of the members have communicators.

I also like riding by myself.

I hate riding in a large group with people I don't know, a recipe for a potentially bad day.

I think a group over 6 is unmanageable.
Best answer yet, & it's not about the mileage, it's about the journey.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 12:14 PM

Garage
I read this type of post often, and there is certainly no right or wrong answer. I think even my own response is "negotiable", or it alternates.

While I had and still have ride chums with similar interests (some still have KLRs) everyone's lives have changed, including my own. It seems that the 'easy going' nature of everyone's life has ramped up to something else, no fault of anyone- it's just the way it is, it just seems like people have more serious stuff on their respective plates. It's hard to coordinate with others for ride time.

Lately, with everyone's life being more complicated, it's been easier to just head out alone again. I think an interesting compromise might be to meet some other riders at some pre-determined destination, stay at the same place, catch some meals together, ride a day or so on some routes local to that area, and then split off and perhaps head home solo.

binderline likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:44 AM

Unstable's model sounds good.

I saw quite a few groups today on Dragon & Cherohala, TN & NC USA. Usually end up riding too close, clogging parking lots. Some groups (not ADV or any other normal people, think chrome rugged individualists) were fairly obnoxious and entitled. The best riders seemed to be solo or in pairs. "Posers of a feather flock together"

This reminded me why I don't really ride with people. Exception being Mrs. Toaster, who is great company. While a new rider, she is sane and safe and reasonable good at it. Has some off the bike features that are pleasant as well! I'd cross the country with her.

I can think of a couple of others I really enjoyed my rides with. Nobody living, unfortunately.

So I vote solo or a close pair with matched pace, or close enough.
unstable_rider and Oldandslow like this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:44 AM

Garage
I do solo and with one other.

The solo explained well.

The buddy system has a lot of advantages f you find a like minded buddy.
Share the lodging expenses.
Safety in numbers
Share the experience.

When I am solo, I tend to ride more, and see less.
weljo2001 and saddlebag like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

The solo explained well.

The buddy system has a lot of advantages f you find a like minded buddy.
Safety in numbers
Share the experience.

When it comes to traveling, I prefer alone or with one other who is of like mind on road selection, pace, etc. That said, I also do a monthly ride with the local dealer and that's fun for a couple hours too.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

The solo explained well.

The buddy system has a lot of advantages if you find a like minded buddy.
Safety in numbers
Share the experience.

Well said and I am the same. I have found one like minded rider that agrees on our pace, number of stops, where to stop, etc. so that works out well.
I do occasionally enjoy a group ride, but I do that for the social interaction with other riders, not for ride itself.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:58 PM

Garage
I love riding with 1 or 2 of my similar-minded riding buddies. Any more than that is a crowd. The length of stops go way up with more than 3 riders.

I have done a little bit of solo riding, usually in the early stages of a trip on my way to meet a friend. I enjoy that too.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I love riding with 1 or 2 of my similar-minded riding buddies. Any more than that is a crowd. The length of stops go way up with more than 3 riders.
That's for sure! Jeez, I went on a long trip many years ago with at least 15 other women riders. The gas stops were painful. Mine are so quick, like a pitstop, lol. Then you have those who say "well, I don't need gas/bathroom right now", then they are running up to you at the toll booth not even another half hour down the road asking you to stop. No, sorry, the rule is when we stop, EVERYONE gasses their bikes, goes to the bathroom. If you're going on a ride with a group, make sure you communicate that upfront or you'll be stopping a lot more often. Plus you'll be annoyed, LOL.
binderline likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Solo, or w/ one other. For me, big groups are way too dangerous!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:29 PM

I don't have any friends, and I certainly don't have any friends who ride motorcycles. After my son is out of college (two more years; private; expensive as hell), maybe I can get something bigger than a 650 and tour with my wife on the back.

Like binderline (the original poster), I do an annual solo excursion. Mine lasts around 10 days, and it's my time to reflect, write in a journal at the campsite and in the woods, think about my thoughts and feelings and actions over the previous year and what I would have thought and done differently, and immerse myself in solitude. I visit a spot in the Smokies where I want my ashes scattered, and I sit at that spot and bask in the view for a half-hour. There's no way I could do that with a friend (if I had any) or a group. Maybe, kinda-sorta, I could do that with my wife. She's awesome.

Whenever I go on group day rides I'm disappointed. I'm on high alert because I don't know the other riders well, and that's not fun. I mean, I'm always on high alert in traffic, but most other motorcyclists ... well, um ... I'll say no more.

I wish I were more sociable and could enjoy traveling in groups. Such people are happier people.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode