Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

the Butterfield Stage route, in SW AZ...

861 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Markie Motard 
#1 ·
Over the years I've ridden thru the Butterfield Stage route, just N of the highway between Maricopa and Gila Bend, several times, the last probably in '08, as the BLM closed the area to motorized traffic "for 2 or 3 years...", and I wanted to check whether or not it was open to 'motorized traffic' yet. First time I rode it was on my KLR w/ a buddy on his Ural.

I've EVEN hiked it (13 miles!!!) w/ members of a hiking club, and here are some pics from that....

The next pic is of the area of the cistern,

then following the stage route, W to E.

VERY historic, but I was NOT 'up-for-hiking' it yesterday..., just wanted to see IF it was open to riding.

See less See more
#2 ·
I left home about 1100 yesterday, riding via Casa Grande so I could take the Maricopa Road route. Just at the entrance to Maricopa is this old train car on display:

followed by several miles N, then W onto AZ 238 towards Gila Bend.

Just a few miles W of town there's a road named for a famous John Wayne movie

that goes S past his old "spread", the Red River Cattle Company

and I wonder which was his home...?

or...

Following 238 W I came to the signs designating that this is the Sonoran Desert (BTW - my home in BC is at the northern end of the SAME desert!)

Unfortunately, the "temporary closure" is still in effect, so I took some pics, then turned back to the E.

My GPS was indicating the next turn, 24 miles ahead, onto the John Wayne Parkway. You can see that he was a VERY BIG presence in this part of AZ!

My ride home took my N on the Parkway for 4 miles, then E on the Casa Blanco Rd, eventually into Sacaton, the home of Ira Hayes, one of the Marines that raised the Stars and Stripes on Mt Surabachi on Iwo Jima in WW2.

Leaving Sacaton I had another 40 miles to home where a COLD beer awaited, ending a good 157 mile ride in 80F temps!

:thumb: - :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.