ANNOUNCEMENT: Forum Clean Up Project - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Site News What's going on in our community? Stay Informed!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Forum Clean Up Project

Hey folks! One of the reasons I volunteered to be a moderator is because there are a few to many posts that are in the wrong forum for my liking. For example, while arguments could be made that certain windscreens could give you a performance edge, windscreen posts really do belong in the Cosmetic section. So to that end you will probablly see a lot of messages that go missing. Just do a search, or look in the logical place. As a general policy on the forum we don't show re-directs on posts that are moved.

We also plan on changing the descriptions of the sub-categories so that its a little more clear where things go.

Thanks!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Keeping a forum clean and up-to-date is certainly a constant project. I'm just curious though, what's the problem with leaving re-directs?

They can be set to automatically expire no?

CC

---------------------------------------------------
Subscribe to Adventure Motorcycle Magazine just cuz' it's badass...

Buy "
" DVD!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yes they can be set to expire, I'm not really sure why that is the forum policy, but then again I have never moderated before, and my fellow moderators have indicated that it can create some real headaches, so I will deffer to their experience.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM

props to you for taking on this job.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM

I have never considered windscreens to be cosmetic, and if you read the posts I think for every one that you see that says something about what they look like you will see 50 about how the PERFORM, so....Performance.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Pegasus, when I read performance I read it as things affecting performance of the bike: speed & handling. Not performance of the component that is being affected: i.e. a more protective windscreen. In general I equate comfort with cosmetic, not performance. If you are advocating that windscreens are primarily installed to increase speed and handling... we will have to agree to disagree.

Arguments could be made that if your more comfortable you perform better, but to be honest it really doesn't matter which forum they are in, as long as all windscreen posts are in the same forum so that people can find them! I have requested that the specific components be described in the forum descriptions:

For "Technical Discussion" I'd like to change the description from "Topics related to Technical Issues" to "Topics related to Break/Fix and Troubleshooting."

For "Modifications - Performance" Change the description from "Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications" to "Discuss performance related changes and products - Engine, Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, etc."

For "Modifications - Cosmetic" Change the description from "Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications" to "Discuss cosmetic related changes and products - Lights, Seats, Luggage, Windscreens, Crash Bars, Electrical, Handle Bars, Grips, Paint, Plastic, etc."

Steve

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Hahahah. Reading the new category titles i just have to ask if you're by any chance a government employee?

CC

---------------------------------------------------
Subscribe to Adventure Motorcycle Magazine just cuz' it's badass...

Buy "
" DVD!
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 PM

With the extra descriptions you have added I think we can all find what we want...and that is the bottom line.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
Hahahah. Reading the new category titles i just have to ask if you're by any chance a government employee?

CC
Nope. But I am a systems engineer, so I tend to think in straight lines...

Steve

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:33 AM

What I can gather is it would be easier to navigate for answers to one's questions.

to the Admin and you guys for efforts to clean up the mess and improve the forum.

Best Regards

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Hats off to anybody that wants the thankless job of moderator and you do a fine job here. Not much bickering like a lot of sites. The one thing that i wouldn't mind is posts like about Camero or items not related at all to motorcycles eliminated. I do love cars and hunting all sorts of sports but after all this is a motorcyle forum. I know on my bowsites and such if something isn't directly related to the site it belongs somewhere else. Maybe others don't feel this way and is fine. I know it wasn't meant as anything big but it can get really sidetracted if there are not some guidelines. Just my 2 cents so see how others feel. That said i love this site and all the info and guys involved here and will enjoy whatever is on here. A lot of us really appreciate the ones that keep this going as it is more work than most realize or want to take on themselves.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

That's why there's an off topic section here. We're well rounded individuals (& I'm not just talking physique) with other interests besides bikes & like to share those as well...
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Sorry about that. My fault for not checking that it was in the off topic. Insert foot into mouth.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks Bear. I saw it on new posts and never checked to see that it came from off topic. Always did need someone to keep me straight. Apoligize to anyone i offended. Was a senior moment. My story and i am sticking to it.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry about it! I always check "New Posts" too. And I don't think you were TOO offensive...

I agree with you about this site & the bickering. One of the reasons I come here a lot. I believe it has a great deal to do with the age of most of our members. The Versys seems to attract very similar thinking & aged people. We may not always agree, but we're mature enough to not e-fight (how'd you like that modern terminology??) about it...

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:53 PM

Speaking of cleanup. I look at the classified section often, and there are alot of items for sale that have already been sold but looking at the ad you can't tell until you read through the posts. I think it's safe to say there are pages of sold items that are still posted. I wonder if there is a way to put a time limit on (say 30 days?) on classified posts and maybe a request that you remove your ad after it has sold or at least a request to edit the header to say your item has sold. Just an idea.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Pegasus, when I read performance I read it as things affecting performance of the bike: speed & handling. Not performance of the component that is being affected: i.e. a more protective windscreen. In general I equate comfort with cosmetic, not performance. If you are advocating that windscreens are primarily installed to increase speed and handling... we will have to agree to disagree.

Arguments could be made that if your more comfortable you perform better, but to be honest it really doesn't matter which forum they are in, as long as all windscreen posts are in the same forum so that people can find them! I have requested that the specific components be described in the forum descriptions:

For "Technical Discussion" I'd like to change the description from "Topics related to Technical Issues" to "Topics related to Break/Fix and Troubleshooting."

For "Modifications - Performance" Change the description from "Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications" to "Discuss performance related changes and products - Engine, Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, etc."

For "Modifications - Cosmetic" Change the description from "Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications" to "Discuss cosmetic related changes and products - Lights, Seats, Luggage, Windscreens, Crash Bars, Electrical, Handle Bars, Grips, Paint, Plastic, etc."
I agree that all of the posts on a specific topic should all be in the same section of the forum. I can see how changing the descriptions would be appealing to some. I can also see how some of your suggested changes could confuse people because I would consider discussions about Lights, seats, luggage, windscreens, Crash Bars, and Handle Bars to be more functional in nature than cosmetic. I am a function over form kind of guy, and that's why cosmetic isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of these items. I'm in favor of short and straight to the point descriptors. Maintenance and Repair for "Technical Discussion". Drive Train and Suspension for "Modifications - Performance". Factory/After Market Accessories and DIY projects would cover most of "Modifications - Cosmetic". I think we don't even need the "Discuss" before the descriptions because the discussion is implied by the fact that in a forum topics are discussed.

Don't take me wrong I think what you are doing is great. If your suggested changes are implemented I'm smart enough to find what I'm looking for regardless of where the threads are listed and how the forums are described. And I'll post my new topics in the correct areas. I just want to show you a different perspective.

If anything I'd like to see a standard search box at the top of the page instead of it being hidden in a drop down menu. It was a couple of months before I realized I could search because it is not set up like most websites I frequent.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM

It would be nice to be able to delete a thread that I had started. Or at least actually change the title should I have sold something. It's should be the thread starters responcibility. If a thread has been started in the wrong area, the moderator should let that person know where the proper posting should be, then the wrong thread should be deleted or moved .

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode