Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Metalmad 
#1 ·

Here at Motorcycle.com we get to ride all of the newest, latest, and greatest motorcycles on the planet. However, more often than not, our time with each bike spans the course of weeks, maybe months (but definitely not years), as new bikes are constantly flowing through our proverbial garages, waiting to get tested. This means we have reviews of almost every motorcycle on the market, but it also means that we lack firsthand experience learning about long-term durability and maintenance. So, when our readers ask about the reliability of a certain make or model, it’s a difficult question to answer, as reliability testing requires ownership for several years – something we simply aren’t in a position to provide.

Thankfully, the folks at Consumer Reports have compiled a motorcycle reliability study, gathering information from more than 11,000 riders, sharing their experiences on more than 12,000 motorcycles purchased new between 2008 and 2014. With this data, CR adjusted for mileage ridden over a 12-month span and estimated failure rates. Like golf, the lower the number (or percentage, in this case), the better the score. CR’s language in the link above is vague, using words like “trouble prone” and not defining what constitutes a failure. Nonetheless, the results are still relevant. Here they are, from worst to best.
Read more about The 10 Most Reliable Motorcycle Companies at Motorcycle.com.

See less See more
#7 ·
I know a fellow who IS a mechanic, rides H-Ds, but "rebuilds" them (whatever THAT means) before he trusts them, as well as working on friends' Harleys.

My recollection is - usually whenever I see a bike at the side of the road (in trouble) it's MOSTLY H-Ds.

#5 · (Edited)
WARNING: random thoughts follow........
"Can-Am has the worst reliability rating of the manufacturers included in the sample, with a 42% failure rate" - THIS I never knew.
"BMW coming in as the second-least reliable" :eek:

And who would have thought that a BMW was less reliable than a Ducati ?????????? :surprise:
....and the Victory reliability and customer satisfaction don't count - seeing as how they have ceased all manufacturing.....
But, I somehow knew that Yamaha was the most reliable, seeing as how I just picked one up on Saturday.

I'm also one of those Harley owners that have had all good luck with them.
2 Road kings, 5 SuperGlides, a Heritage Softail, and a Sportster or two thrown in thru the years.

We currently own a 2015 Heritage Softail.

#6 ·
It seems as though the more owner friendly to do your own work on the more reliable. When you look at the top four, they seem easy to do basic maintenance yourself. I don't know much about Ducati, but I know BMW ownership will cost you some coin. I can tell you Kawasaki offers a two year standard warranty on the V1k and a three year on the Concours. To me it means they are doing something right. Why would I want to pay 5-6k more for a s1000xr or multistrada? I wouldn't and didn't!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.