Rule #57: Do Not Ride Behind Morons - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Industry News A section for industry news, recalls & technical service bulletins.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TRZ Charlie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Rule #57: Do Not Ride Behind Morons

Quote:
You know better than to ride around trucks any longer than absolutely necessary, but a far more insidious danger is the unprofessional vacationista whose load-securing skills are often primitive. Whenever you see somebody towing a boat, a trailer, or especially a boat or a trailer with a bunch of other junk strapped onto or around it, expect this to happen and ride accordingly, i.e., nowhere around it. Especially not behind it. That goes double for the bane of Southern California motorists, the gardening truck, which is often a rolling obstacle course of weedwackers, rakes, and aluminum ladders yearning to break free. If you see someone holding a mattress to his roof with one hand out the window, know you’ll be the one most likely to take a nap if you’re silly enough to ride behind him

This rider got back up; we wish him a speedy recovery.
Read more about Rule #57: Do Not Ride Behind Morons at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 AM

Garage
Best comment on that site:

Donnie • 2 days ago
I once saw a horse fall out of the back of a horse trailer. It was hard to ride around all of the entrails as they were being expelled from the car behind hitting it. Real gruesome.

'09 Versys
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 AM

OMG!

Yes, I once watched a refrigerator fall out of a pickup truck rounding the curve on the Park Presidio Bypass in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco - I was far enough behind it to change lanes without incident.

Another time I watched the top half of a clamshell cartop carrier come loose, catch wind, and fly off the top of a car at highway speeds on 101 in Silicone Valley! It must have risen 20 to 30 feet, hovered, then fell into the middle lane of traffic. Again, I was a safe distance away.

And the driver of the 18 wheeler remained cool and hit it straight on rather than trying to take evasive action (which would not have gone well in traffic). The fiberglass top literally exploded into pieces. Didn't seem to affect the truck at all.

Then there are all the ladders, shovels, bicycles, etc crumpled by the side of the road.

So stay alert and stay safe!!

Rob in KC
'14 Versys 650

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 PM

Amazing squid survival luck.

Long ago on I40 west in Kingston, over the bridge by the steam plant, a flat trailer ahead of me started shedding 2 to 4 ft lengths of black rigid pipe about 1.25" thick, said pipe segments dropping off one and two at a time, spinning along the road, bouncing off the concrete to my right (with air, a drop, and then water beyond) or disappearing beneath the semi to my left. As if in some horrible deadly video game, I danced through the maze on my old middle-weight cruiser, which complained.

We see crap all the time. A fishtailing trailer behind us today!

Good luck, all!!!

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 PM

Garage
Back in the 90's while on my route early morning.Just going over Lake Lewisville headed to Denton. On the opposite side of the highway. traffic was stopped fire trucks on scene had just put out a car fire and you could see the charred remains of the people in the car. An 18 Wheeler had a load of Steel I-Beams that had fallen off the trailer and the car had smacked into them and the car just exploded. I could barley see the I-Beams on the road because of their color and it was still pretty dark on the road. So I'm sure the driver if he saw them at all it was at the last second.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 06:14 AM

Garage
My BIL was driving down the road and the approaching car had an east coast surfboard on the roof.

The surfboard came loose and the point came through his windshield. It stopped a few inches from his face and the rest of the board snapped off.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:08 PM

Garage
A buddy of mine and I were headed to South Dakota on our V-Stroms. A hawk came out of a ditch and headed right at his head. At the last second the hawk applied air brakes and got caught in the vacuum between the windscreen and my buddy. It kinda happened in slow motion.

The guy in the car next to him freaked out when he saw the hawk with feathers flying and my buddy ducking, dodging, swerving and slowing down. The guy in the car drifted toward my buddy and my buddy hit the brakes. The guy realized what was happening and hit his brakes, over corrected left and flipped his car maybe 6 or 8 times with parts ejecting off the car. We managed to evade the ejected parts. The guy ended up on his roof sliding down the highway at maybe 10-15 miles an hour. The hawk flew away and we stopped. When we got to the guy was hanging by his seat belt and his joint was still in his mouth with an incredulous look on his face.
weljo2001 likes this.

Cheers,

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode