Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Is USA ready for adventure touring motorcycles

28K views 109 replies 41 participants last post by  saddlebag 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
When I am parked at a restaurant or gas station with my V, and people ask me "What kind of bike is that?" I often tell them it's an adventure touring bike. And 9 out of 10 times they will respond by looking at me as if I had two heads, or they'll say something like "Well... that's a sharp/interesting looking... uh... scooter you have there." No comprension.

#10 · (Edited)
....To answer the troll, the Versys is closer to sport-tour than adventure-tour and best considered a standard/UJM.
??? Troll reference?? Went...whoosh...way over my head....

As to my mentioning that the Versys should have been mentioned: the Suz DL got mentioned and pictured because they had added high quality aluminum bags, as well as a center stand and other features (such as an engine guard). Add those to the Versys and you have a BETTER adventure tourer than the Suz.

EDIT: so yeah, I get why the V wasnt mentioned as an adventure bike in the article, but I guess I want people to realize that the V is as good or better than other 650s and even 800s as an adventure bike.

#4 ·
I truly hope a few manufacturers take a chance (like Kawi did with the Versys) & bring a few of these bikes here to the US. The key will be keeping the price in the affordable range, offering a full line of accessories out of the gate & advertising them properly. I really think the manufacturers are missing the boat with this category of bike. One of the problems is they have invested so much in cruiser's, they don't want to take away from any of that. If they would put the same effort into adventure bikes that they did into building their cruiser markets they would hit a home run. Just my opinion & 2 cents worth!:thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
I just got back from a road trip with the kids from Vancouver to Yellowstone. 95% of the bikes we saw, and there were lots, were Harley Davidson. It was really quite astonishing. All these folks dressed all bad ass, most without helmets, roaring around in packs of leather clad, overweight middle aged wanna be hooligans. It seems to be quite a trend. Until this trend passes, I doubt there will be much room in the US market for adventure touring bikes. Now, off to read the article!

#6 ·
It really is astonishing when you consider the success that BMW has had with the GS, Triumph with the Tiger, Suzuki with the Stroms, etc., that Yamaha and Honda can't be bothered. Maybe their dealers are still traumatized by earlier experiences with the TDM and the TransAlp, respectively. I think dealers want to floor the stuff they know they can sell, and cruisers and sportbikes (and quads, and....) fill that bill. Anything that one has to explain becomes problematic.

I moderate on a large webforum that is sportbike oriented, and it seems that most new riders coming on the board start with the supposition that their first bike must be a sportbike, and the only relevant questions are brand (Dude, should I get an r6 or a gixxer?) and displacement (Won't I outgrow a 600?). We don't see much of the cruiser crowd on our forum, but for a lot of riders it seems cruisers "just look right". Starting from these baseline positions, it takes some experience and education for a rider to be able to look past the obvious to see the benefits of an adventure bike, and lots of dealers don't wish to wait for these customers to get educated when they can just sell them the sportbike or cruiser right now.

It seems like for whatever reason, Suzuki and Kawasaki dealers have been prepared to take a risk, and for that I am grateful.

#7 ·
My wife and I noticed the opposite on our around the country trip in 2008. We saw more BMW touring riders than anything else in the western half of the U.S. The only place we noticed an over-abundance of "image is everything" cruiser types was around Sturgis. Even then there were quite a few BMW's in the Black Hills as well.
To answer the troll, the Versys is closer to sport-tour than adventure-tour and best considered a standard/UJM.

#71 · (Edited)
?????????:dgi:??????????????

Anyway, back to the USA 'biker & his ignorance of Adventure bikes!

This past weekend there was a Bikers/Blues/Beer & Bitches weekend at Fayettville in Arkansas.

95% were on Harleys, 90% of whom all dressed the same,looked the same, had the same bike, & probably talked about the same things.

Yet, they all actually think they're individuals!

Whenever I see a group of, or a single adventure tourer coming towards me I actually get excited & wave like a demented person on speed or something!
I think evolution got stuck in time somewhere when it comes to the majority of US bikers, but who knows, hopefully HD will go out of business soon & then they'll have to consider an alternative to those 2 wheeled tractors!:)

#11 ·
To answer your original question, Jake: No, I don't think so.

For the majority of motorcycle riders in the US, the motorcycle is mostly a weekend toy or the required key to belong to a certain group. So they will buy based on deeply ingrained stereotypes and preconceptions and will remain mostly ignorant of any models that are not a cruiser or a sport bike.

Many motorcycle riders in Europe ride day-in, day-out, mostly regardless of weather. Also, they don't have chronic "Easy Rider"-itis and do have speed cameras everywhere. That makes that both big v-twin cruisers and sport bikes are not the default choice for motorcycle riders, therewith opening up the mind and the market for many different models.

#16 ·
Well said, couldn't agree more.
I really believe cruisers are the choice of the inexperienced. It's just an image to project. Some of them grow to love it and want to travel on them, but they get stuck into a certain look.

I liked the post on the Zook with aluminum paniers. I would have been willing to pay more for my bike if it was better setup for long distance riding like that. It's not too bad, but there are certainly some upgrades that could be done. Guess I'll have to do them myself. ;)

I've been reading the GS forums and them guys seem to have a lot of quirks and problems with their bikes, but they like them. At least they're getting out and seeing the country.

#12 ·
I think another key problem is places to ride...The US is a huge land mass but how much is open to off road riding. Talk to the ATV/ 4WD crowd and you will find not that much when you consider the available land. The east is far worst than the west but the fact remains more and more trail get closed all the time.
Folks that are into off-road riding will probably load up the trail bikes on a trailer and tow them to a trail head. No need to ride the bikes there, you can be dry and comfortable in you truck. I am sure Europeans could do the same but since owning a large vehicle is much more expensive than the US it makes more sense to ride the motorcycle on and off the trail.

#13 ·
Great post!

I have to think that a lot of riders grow into Adventure bikes rather than start out wanting one. It takes experience and desire to ride long distances on sometimes rough terrain. A relatively new motorcyclists might be intimidated by this, therefore they start out on cruisers.

Most of the ADV riders I have known or talked to, have some years in the saddle and seek out new rides and adventures like a missile hunting Osama Bin Laden. Weather is not a factor because they don't care about polishing chrome. The dirtier the better sometimes. I begin planning my next big trip during the trip I am on. The new leather crowd in general, is using the bike as a luxury toy. I get this, and don't have a problem with it. I like having something a little different than the masses.

#14 ·
Adverture bikes would sell better here in the states if the actually went out on a marketing campaign. The motorcycle adds i do see are all plugging cruisers and not much else. You have to pick up a bike magazine to see anything these days that isn't a v-twin...as a V owner its depressing. Not that i want to see 10,000 V's on the road, but a few would be nice.

If honda would pull their heads out of their butts and bring the Trans Alp back to the states id buy not just one but 2!!!:clap:

#15 ·
I love the Versys, please don't get me wrong. However, I would love to see some more affordable Adventure Touring bike make it to the USA. The Multistrada 1200, BMW GS and other bikes are the cat's meow, but $20,000?! You gotta be kiddin'! How about the Trans-Alp and Yammy TDM? The Yammay Super Tenere is a sweet bike, but it's gonna be buko bucks as well. Anyway, I looked at the article on MOTORCYCLE DAILY and there seem to be quite a few responses! Here's hopin' we see more bikes of this type in the USA.

#17 ·
I perfer to think of bikes like the Versys, Triumph Tiger and MultiStrada as "cross over" bikes to borrow a term from the auto industry. These bikes are all much more on road capilble than say the VStrom, Valardo or other Adventure Tour bikes that are designed for a more dual purpose role.

#18 · (Edited)
The Versys is a 19" front wheel away of being just as capable as any "Adventure Tourer" labeled bike out there ... average price for low mileage used $4500 ... add $1000 for a new 19" conversion v strom front wheel with all necessary parts ... For $5500 you have a bike that will take you anywhere the $20,000.00 bikes will ... and maybe more ...

Below is my bike with a DL1000 v strom front wheel ...

#19 ·
I was watching a DL1000 wheel on ebay at $175 for 6 days, bid just over $200 in the last 20 seconds and it went to $350. Somebody with sniping software must have really wanted it.

New parts total about $800 plus machine work and a tire. And raise the fender.

Is it worth it?

I suppose if you went with a fender mounted to the bottom triple clamp you could just change wheels out, 17 with a road tire and the 19 with a knobby. Rear wheels are pretty easy to come by, I may just get a pair and go with the oversize front for when acatually going on offroad treks.

#20 ·
I was watching a DL1000 wheel on ebay at $175 for 6 days, bid just over $200 in the last 20 seconds and it went to $350. Somebody with sniping software must have really wanted it./QUOTE]

Yon can buy a new one from ron ayers for just under $400 the way the used one was listed on ebay ...!!!

#21 · (Edited)
This post reminded me of a bike a guy in my building owns. It's a 1993 Yamaha TDM. I believe they were only sold in the US from 92-93, due to poor sales.

He and I have ridden each others bikes, and although neither of us have a lot of experience with other MCs, we both commented how similar the TDM and the Versys "feel" and handle.

Although sport-tours/adventure-tours are still not an everyday sight in the US, I do see one on occasion (usually GSs or V-stroms). I wonder if the demographics or the MC attitude has changed in the US in the past 20 years?

Sadly, the TDM owner is more into fishing than riding and currently has his bike up for sale in order to buy a boat. I'll miss riding with him (fishing bores me silly).

BTW, the red bike next to his is my Versys.

Attachments

#22 ·
Wow. That's a great looking bike. Even has distanzias!

On another topic, the 19" vstrom front wheel...
I was searching the 'net on wheels and ran across at least a couple of threads on user forms for vstrom where they were fitting gixxer 17" wheels to them to make them handle better. Their comments were that there were more road tires to choose from in 17". Funny, eh?

#24 ·
17". Funny, eh?
That is funny!
Because just this afternoon I was reading the ADVrider forum where someone asked about how to put a 19" wheel on the Versys and he got referred to jdrocks' post 158 in this thread on this forum.

Vees with 17" to 19", Wees with 19" to 17"... IMHO that is about the only significant change between the two bikes. Oh, and the V feels lighter and handles much better in the twisties. :D

#23 ·
In Utah, I see a lot of BMW GS bikes on the road, probably more adventure touring bikes than most places. But this is SUV country and I think that comparison is more than apt! If you just ride weekends, with friends for the social aspect, you will choose a different bike than a commuter would choose. If you wanna haul gear and see the sights, you will factor in as well. I hope the Harley folks love their bikes, though I would love to see more of them in helmets (that is not me mandating anything, I just find the trend interesting: is it the "rebel" thing? ah well).

#25 ·
Yesterday I attended the Oregon State Fair. One of the nice things about this fair is that MCs are allowed to park "up front" in a small grass strip, just feet from the entrance. Thus, as people are waiting in line for their tickets, they slowly work their way past, and are given an opportunity to look at, all of the parked bikes.

Although I was the first person to park in the morning (9 am), while leaving (around 5 pm), my bike had the company of about 10 others. All were Harleys, with the exception of my Versys, one BMW and one metric cruiser.

As I was putting on my gear, on a nearby bench, I had the chance to watch and listen to the people passing by. I must admit that the Harleys, and to some extent the BMW, were receiving all of the attention and accolades. My Versys didn't get much more than a quick glance (and even one scornful look.)

Am I disappointed by this? The truth is, the intellectual part of me is not. I love my bike. I love what she can do. And I love riding her. That will never change. Yet deep down, a small part of me was let down. I suppose I felt like a parent who just saw his kid being picked last for teams in gym class.

I guess my point is this: The average American is still very much enamored with big, shiny, Harley cruisers. This may be slowly changing, but we are not there yet.

Nevertheless, I'm going to take my Versys for a ride now. I'll ride through the farm country and forests I'm lucky enough to have nearby. I'll go fast (enough) in the straights, carve up the twisties, listen to the sweet purr of the engine, smell the air and smile from ear to ear. And when I park at home later, I'll look at and admire my Versys and call it a very good day.

#26 ·
My Versys didn't get much more than a quick glance...
Gotta be honest. When I first decided on a bike other than a cruiser, I didn't give the Versys more than a glance and I moved on. I really thought I wanted the Honda NT700 but kept looking around and I did a lot of reading. The Versys kept coming up in articles talking about the "fun factor". Fun, fun, fun...I kept reading.

I gave her a chance and I am glad I did. Even the odd looking front end grew on me over time. I can see why people walk on by, but I am not trying to impress anyone but me. :D

#29 ·
Sorry to say this guys and IMHO the one thing you cant separate in USA is USA & HD. They are something like sole and body, not that the HD are the best bikes in the world, but that's the American way, any identity or culture I suppose.

HD are like through breads for the US riders. Down here its all about Japanese bikes and some Europeans ones, but its about who can afford the bikes which are very expensive here. import duty exceed 200% over bike cost if fully imported like the V.

Just my 2cts thoughts.
:cheers:

#32 ·
Sorry to say this guys and IMHO the one thing you cant separate in USA is USA & HD. HD are like through breads for the US riders.
Just my 2cts thoughts.
:cheers:
Fasto,

Cheers! Unfortunately, you are 100% correct as are others who describe Harleys as the bike for the inexperienced. Not always true, but it seems so in many cases. I have a HD friend who sold his bike and advertised it as never having gone over "35 MPH". Funny, but kind of pathetic, too.

Many Americans are enamored with image and HD embodies one of the images advanced by the socially, sexually insecure. Kind of a mechanical penile implant, so to speak, complete with open pipes, tattoos, dew rags, leather vests, and two day beards shaved off Monday morning so the boss doesn't get pissed.

In their quest for social acceptance and recognition on their HD, they miss out on some of the best riding you can have on FAR better machines.....

My flame-proof gear is deployed.

V-Zee

#34 ·
IMHO bluegenes and Capt. Kirk really hit on some key points as to why Adv. Touring is just not a hit here in the US. I think adv bikes are an aquired taste, just like coffee. Let' be honest, here in the states people like sexy, shinny things, and most adv bikes are not that. For me, it was love at first sight when I first sat on a V last fall, but I spent a very long time looking at the NT700V because it is a very "pretty" looking bike. But in the end, the function of the V, as well as the form of the V, were much more appealing. But sadly, those that ride the 'Stroms, GSs, and Versys of the world are the minority. Marketing has taught riders that a Desmo, or an R1, or, a huge cruiser is the right ride. Sad but true.

#35 ·
Now that we 'Mericans can buy a 1200 Super Tenere, we'll soon see a few things which will answer the thread's original question.

Will it be sold in quantities to continue the line (unlike the TDM and the TransAlp)

How will the other manufacturer's respond?
Would it be easy for Zuk to 'adventurize' the Wee? Same w Kaw and the V.
Will BMW lower the price of the GS800 to be competitive ?
Will Honda respond ? (imho doubtful)

This MAY be the start of something big. Cruisers have been negative growth for some years, Repli-racers are for teenagers. With an aging rider demographic, perhaps it's time.......

#36 ·
...and if the rumours are true you will be able to buy the new Triumph 800/825/850 on/off road ally/spoked wheeled whatever beeign launched in a couple of months

but ultimately it depends on you the customer. as long as customers want to buy the cruiser then the likes of Harley (and or their imitators) will continue to be sell.

it aint the manufacturers fault its the customer. yes you could argue that manufacturers can peddle dodgy product based on advertising or image, but eventually the market will find them out. It happened with British made cars or bikes. however its salvagable if someone wants to become prodcut and customer focussed rather than pander to the self serving producer interests. Triumph (Hinkley) is an example.. its probably the only bike brand which has seen continued growth over the last 2 years.

#40 · (Edited)
Amen Brother. Like those old pics. :clap:

Seems like Vzee has been bimmer-brainwashed. Why does a bike have to be built like a bmw or a tenere to be a capable bike for adventure?

To me, 'Adventure Bike' is a loose term. There are many riders that might consider themselves adventurers. To me, a ride across the country, or into Mexico and back, is an adventure, whether you leave pavement or not. I know, to some it's riding through the amazon, foot deep in mud, or across the sahara, whatever. A bike setup to do that kind of terrain does not make a good road bike. No bike is perfect, there are compromises in whatever direction of customization you pursue. Is the GS a perfect bike? I doubt it, a browse thru their forum will tell you that. Is the Tenere a perfect bike? I doubt that either. I read about one avid rider that parted out his KTM 990 and went back to a KLR. He just couldn't deal with all the complication and expense. And I would say that neither is the 'perfect bike'.

I'm with Jake, and riders like Freewheeler and JDROCKS. Make the bike adapt to the type of riding you want do. Like some of the others, I've been riding motorcycles for more than 40 years now. Along with some newbies there are a lot of very experienced riders that have chosen the Versys because of what it is. I think that speaks volumes about the design, the draw of veteran riders to it. The Versys is a great little bike and very versatile. It's not a GS, so what? What we get to choose from is amazing compared to what there was 20 or 30 years ago.

I cannot fault a Versys owner for wanting to make his bike more capable for getting off the beaten path. And I don't think anyone is going to consider it a true 'dirtbike'. Can it be made adventure ready? I think so. :thumb:

EDIT: BTW, when the Honda Elsinore came out in 1973 I was riding Penton. When I restored a few of them in the last decade I was amazed that we could actually race those old things!
Seems to me that a new 125 elsinore had a MSRP of $873 when it was introduced.
One of our group had a Husky, another an Ossa, somebody else a Bultaco. Those were the days, eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.