post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

shim kit

Looking for a shim kit.

Crash

2009 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

When I do the valves I wanted to reduce the downtime. Pulling it apart, measuring and then ordering the shims (no local shops keep anything in stock) means the bike will be off the road for a week. I don't have the heated space to work it during the winter so a week off the road in the summer sucks.

Crash

2009 650 Versys
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I have the micrometer but I won't sand them. I will stick with the cost of a new shim the correct size. To me pulling the bike apart and getting all the way there then saving a few bucks doing exactly what the manual says not to do...im to nervous a fellow to do that.

I want to push the measurements as far as they can go on the outside, no use adjusting them to anything else in my mind or I will just be pulling it back apart to check again shortly. So swapping the exisiting ones might not work well.

Crash

2009 650 Versys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:11 AM

Garage
my experience with shim kits is you get too many that you will never need. the valves almost always get tighter over time, not looser. no harm in sanding them down for a fit, they are through hardened high alloy steel

before I got a surface plate I used a piece of glass. tape the sandpaper to the glass, hot glue the shim to a piece of dowel
onewizard and quexpress like this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

Last edited by Beezerboy; 01-13-2017 at 02:17 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Classifieds WANTED / Trying to Help

This has been a mistake on my part, as this is a Wanted Forum, since the OP has requested sources for shims, I have tried to comply.So I guess sources in Ontario Canada for valve shims, besides Kawaski dealers.

If someone wants to add more info pertaining to doing valve shim check/ timing, do it here:
Valve Check/Adjustment

I will add / copy, any new photos or constructive comments to the How To Thread from this active thread.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-13-2017 at 01:58 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Everyones been very helpful and I have read through every thread, I might have misunderstood this part of the forum.

I thought it was to alert others of stuff you wanted to buy, that they were selling.

I have all the part numbers and lots of vendors, I was just throwing this out in case someone was selling a kit they didnt need etc.

I am choosing to replace the shims not sand them. Not saying one way is good or bad. Just the method / path I choose to go.

Crash

2009 650 Versys
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

You Are Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Everyones been very helpful and I have read through every thread, I might have misunderstood this part of the forum.

I thought it was to alert others of stuff you wanted to buy, that they were selling.

I have all the part numbers and lots of vendors, I was just throwing this out in case someone was selling a kit they didnt need etc.

I am choosing to replace the shims not sand them. Not saying one way is good or bad. Just the method / path I choose to go.

Crash
My last post is exactly that, I just highlighted what you are saying. So any members that have shims they don't need, here is a buyer.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
...I will stick with the cost of a new shim the correct size....Crash
Sounds like what I did the FIRST time I did my valves: measured everything, ordered the "correct" shims, then when the dealership called that they had arrived, went there w/ my calipers AND my notes. NONE of them were the size that they were supposed to be (despite a 'size' marked on each - they are to a "tolerance"). The mechanic told me that he had a bunch of shims for MX bikes, and I could just exchange mine, one-for-one, so I WAS able to get exactly what I needed.

Then invader posted that HE just sands his, so that's what I started doing, and always to the 'high' end of the tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...Be prepared for disappointment if ordering shims, what some have done is take measurements , figure out what you need and take the shims that are out of spec to your dealer along with your micrometer, many shops will swap shims for a nominal fee....
EXACTLY my experience too.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM

What size shims you need? I can sell some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode