New Versys Key Blanks for Sale... - Page 6 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
For Sale Items for sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Biz

Just placed my order, thank you. OEM keys are junk. My heart stopped the first time I filled my gas tank, turned the key and it twisted 45 degrees inside the lock. Like others mentioned, the OEM key will be stashed in my bike as an emergency back up ONLY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=CrazyCarl;I wanted to note that the keys have changed. The STEEL keys made in Italy are o-fishully SOLD OUT. The Keys we have now in stock are identical in shape and design, but they are hardened BRASS and MADE IN THE USA.
CC[/QUOTE]

The website Kawasaki Versys, ER6n, Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Ninja 500 Steel Key Blank by Ilco Italy needs updating - it still says they are steel

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:49 PM

Ordered 2 a few minutes ago!
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.

post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 05:41 PM

I went to the local key shop here in Nanaimo, BC, Canada and had two new keys made today, on the spot, for less $$ than the price of one blank. He used this blank: Ilco KW16CP, plastic head smaller than Kaw original. Buy local! Local Home Depot has these blanks available also.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 AM

It's not really about getting the cheapest possible key, but about getting a high quality steel key with a small head that doesn't catch on everything in sight. The sale is still a great value for someone who wants a quality key. If you want a cheaper key, there are certainly routes to go for that. The biggest thing to me is making sure it's a high grade steel that's in use so you don't have to worry about the cheap nickel bending or snapping.

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:09 PM

Garage
does this blank fit the 2015? I went to several locksmiths and none had a blank that would match up. I was told the key had recently changed. One smith used what he said was the right blank but it would not open the luggage.... worked in the ignition though

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
does this blank fit the 2015?
It did not fit on my 2015 Versys 650. It was close ... but did not work on my bike.

Quote:
I went to several locksmiths and none had a blank that would match up. I was told the key had recently changed. One smith used what he said was the right blank but it would not open the luggage.... worked in the ignition though
The locksmith tried different things but the outcome was the same.
I finally broke down, purchased 2 OEM blanks and gave them to the locksmith.
I now have 2 spare keys.

I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:54 PM

I have 2nd gen and the blank fit, of course K is getting more clever and wanting us to buy their blanks, hence the '15 up ignition change.
Psalm, read more of the posts. The keys are no longer steel, but hard brass. There are no nickle keys, that is the plating on the brass. Locksmiths in any country won't want to cut steel keys because it requires them to change the cutting wheel. It's not a grinder. Changing the cutting wheel also requires properly aligning the wheel both ways, from brass to steel and back again. Lotta work for two keys. I've never broken a bike or car key, but I've only been riding for a bit over a half century so it could still happen. I don't care what blank anyone buys. I just passed on some info on what worked for me. Happy Motoring

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:07 PM

Garage
The V-1000 has a KM-12 Ignition not sure about the newer 650's

The Versys 1000 ignition is not common in the USA. Most USA locksmiths stock Ilco brand key blanks, but Ilco doesn't have a key blank yet. Looked carefully at ignition switch ...

"KM-12 Ignition" = JET KA34 keyblank

Link to Jet product page: KAWASAKI MOTORCYCLE

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 PM

Jet!! That's it! I could not remember that and associate that name a half hour ago. I could remember Schlage, Ilco, KwikSet, etc, but Jet would not pop up. Old age. thanks

-Robert M. Pirsig
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
Jet!! That's it! I could not remember that and associate that name a half hour ago. I could remember Schlage, Ilco, KwikSet, etc, but Jet would not pop up. Old age. thanks

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Garage
Does anyone know if the Jet works for the 2016 650? I sure would like to make some knobs for the side cases this winter.
Mike
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
Does anyone know if the Jet works for the 2016 650? I sure would like to make some knobs for the side cases this winter.
Mike

Take a look at your ignition switch on my V-1000 it has KM-12 on it.....http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...psbip7svqd.jpg

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM

2015 Versys 650 also has KM-12

Km-12

I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-04-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Garage
Doh! I should have looked before I posted. It looks exactly the same. I will try to find the JET KA34 keyblank at my local locksmith.
Thanks,
Mike
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

When I wanted to get a spare for my '15 650, the locksmith told me he couldn't get them, so I ordered from the Kawi dealer, then had the locksmith cut it.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 03:14 PM

Garage
Just ordered one ....$7.99 shipped......NEW Kawasaki Ninja 650 1000 ZX10R ZX14R ZX6R Z1000 2015 KLR 650 KEY Blank | eBay

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:43 PM

Garage
Key Blank came in today. Took it to the local video/water store. They cut keys to. He cut it took it out and it worked perfect ad he only charged me one dollar since i'm a regular customer. Normal price i only $2.50

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode