New Versys Key Blanks for Sale... - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
For Sale Items for sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM

I have four steel blanks sitting around because I can't find a local shop that will touch steel keys. I've tried about a dozen places within 15 miles and they either all say they won't cut steel or refer me to another shop that then says they won't cut them either. I haven't had the heart to try and sneak the steel keys into a shop and mess up their equipment - I wouldn't want to be treated that way so I don't treat them that way either. Stupid me I guess. Anyone have a source I can mail blanks to along with a key code or spare key and have them cut?

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I have four steel blanks sitting around because I can't find a local shop that will touch steel keys. I've tried about a dozen places within 15 miles and they either all say they won't cut steel or refer me to another shop that then says they won't cut them either. I haven't had the heart to try and sneak the steel keys into a shop and mess up their equipment - I wouldn't want to be treated that way so I don't treat them that way either. Stupid me I guess. Anyone have a source I can mail blanks to along with a key code or spare key and have them cut?
I've heard Ace Hardware cuts steel keys. I have 4 i have to get cut also and thats where i'm going to start.
post #43 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Order placed.....Thanks!

post #44 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey Fellas (and any Fell-ettes),

Not sure when the magic "we won't cut steel keys" point happened in the US but it is frustrating. I guess it just goes to show quality and quantity don't scale!

I ended up taking mine to Ace and had some cut. I also got a set cut at my old dime store where I grew up. A bit out of the way but he dun' cut them keys good!

Some cobblers also offer key cutting so, if you can find an old-school shop, they may still have the correct cutting wheel around.

Cheers,
CC

---------------------------------------------------
Subscribe to Adventure Motorcycle Magazine just cuz' it's badass...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buy "
" DVD!
post #45 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Geeez....I just called every locksmith in San Diego and no one except one mobile locksmith will cut steel. They will do it, but it's very expensive. If anyone has any leads, I'd love to have them!
post #46 of 119 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Amazing isn't it? I was scratching my head for days trying to figure this one out.

I'd suggest heading a little further out of town? You try your local hardware stores? Also, I generally don't get very good or accurate responses with phone calls. If you ask someone a question they don't know the answer to, they're likely to say "no" just to avoid the trouble/responsibility.

Not a local SoCal-izen so can't offer any specifics..sorry!

CC

Buy "
" DVD!
post #47 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Garage
Well went into Ace Hadware store in Sansom Park TX. Asked the cute young lady if they cut steel keys and she said yes sir. Handed her the 4 blanks and an original key. While she was loading up the machine i excused myself to go get some velcro so if she did mess up the cutting machine i would be off somewhere else. Came back she was finishing up the last one. Went to the register and she asked if i would like to go see if they worked before i paid so i did. Holding my breath i put the first one in and it turned like a charm checked all 4 they were perfect. The cost to cut the keys were 50 cents plus tax per key. Now thats a bargain.

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-24-2012 at 02:29 PM.
post #48 of 119 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Ordered 4 blanks from Crazy Carl at Motosyclops and received them in a very timely manner! Thanks Carl.

I went into my local locksmith and asked them if they could cut them. To my surprise, they said of course!! We even have those blanks in stock!! The young man went over to his rack and pulled one of his blanks and handed them both to me and sure enough! They had no problem cutting the steel keys. So now I have a bunch of spares.

So if you are in the Blacksburg area of Virginia, pay them a visit for your spares!
Brian's Lock and Key.
post #49 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Hey Folks,

For those of you who want a spare key thatíll fit in your wallet, itís real easy to get the head off these (Carl's) keys and as you can see in the below picture, there is a small but adequate flange left to grip.

The way I did it was to clamp most of the metal part in a vise (protected from the vise jaws with a couple of pieces of wood) and with a hack saw blade, sliced off one side of the head...

Thereís no need to cut right up to the metal (and perhaps gouge it like I did to the first one). The plastic is soft enough so that if you shave most of it off, the head will just twist through the remaining plastic.

And on 2nd thought, I just checked and the plastic is actually soft enough to cut with a utility knife... Just donít try it while holding the key in your other hand!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

|
|

Last edited by onewizard; 01-04-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #50 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 PM

I bought 4 of these months and months ago and still can't find a place to get them cut in San Diego! I'm down to one original key and have lots of bike camping trips coming up in the next few months.....If anyone knows of a place in SD that will cut steel blanks, let me know! Thanks.
post #51 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Have you tried a real locksmith? I havenít had mine cut yet but I asked a locksmith several weeks ago (who didnít have the blanks) if heíd cut steel ones if I brought them in and he looked at me like I had 2 heads. I told him that folks were having a hard time finding a place to cut them and he laughed & said theyíd be no problem.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

|
|
post #52 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 PM

Garage
If you can get another original key and if you want mail the original and blanks to me i'll be in texas next week and if i'm heading to cali i'll be going through san diego and could drop them off or mail them back to you. PM me if intrested. Like i posted earlier i got mine done at an Ace Hardware

Joseph

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #53 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the offer Joseph....I called ACE and they said "no way". I've called almost every locksmith that I can find......Crazy! Not sure how to get another original made...?
post #54 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
Thanks for the offer Joseph....I called ACE and they said "no way". I've called almost every locksmith that I can find......Crazy! Not sure how to get another original made...?
Go to the dealership the key has a code on it. Not sure what they charge though.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #55 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

You may want to try NOT calling. I found some people (mostly the young front counter clerks) didn't even know keys were made of different materials and if you presented it as a problem, then it became one...regardless of whether or not they could do it.

As you would guess, the default answer would be "no".

CC

Buy "
" DVD!
post #56 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 PM

My key is slightly twisted at this point. I found out I can be a little more gentle with the way I open and close the tank. But I wouldn't at all mind a steel key.
post #57 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Another satisfied customer

I was having the same issue as a lot of folks regarding the gas tank being difficult to work with -- I can get mine open fairly easily, but trying to close it requires me to stand on the pegs and push down with all my body weight.

Anyway, I came across this thread and found that I could get steel key blanks from Motocyclops. So I ordered two blanks on Thursday of last week. On Friday, I received an email confirmation from them that the keys were on their way (and they provided a tracking number). The keys were in my mail box on Monday (yesterday)! That's FAST.

So if anybody is wanting to buy steel key blanks for their V, I can completely and highly recommend buying them from Motocyclops.

========
steph moore
New Mexico, USA
2008 Versys (a/k/a Hellboy)
post #58 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
I bought two steel blanks not too long ago from Moto Cyclops and had them cut - no problem at all - at a local old-fashion locksmith shop. In fact, they had the key blanks in stock @ $4.20 each. Pretty amazing - and they work perfectly.

If you still can't find a place, and want to mail your spare key and the blanks to me, I'll take them to the shop and have them cut for you. PM me if interested. In fact, that goes for anyone who can't get a steel key cut.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #59 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM

I see people saying that the head of the key is smaller... anyone know just how much shorter these keys are compared to the stock keys? My panniers partially block the seat key hole and I need keys 1/4"-1/2" shorter so I don't have to loosen them to open the seat.

Bikes: 2008 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - RIP 1999 Suzuki Katana
Cars: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2007 Subaru Forester XTs
post #60 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post
I see people saying that the head of the key is smaller... anyone know just how much shorter these keys are compared to the stock keys? My panniers partially block the seat key hole and I need keys 1/4"-1/2" shorter so I don't have to loosen them to open the seat.

I can't find my stock keys to compare. But heres some photos that might help...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode