FOR SALE: Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
For Sale Items for sale

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Got mine today.
Bought two bolts 45MM long and two flat washers from NAPA. Cost 65 cents. Took less than 5 min. to install.
Did a 30 mile test ride.
This mod will not make you feel like you just bought a custom seat. However it will make you much more comfortable. Best $14 I ever spent. I highly recommend this riser block.

Thanks Rawkstar 320 for producing a well made product, that every Versys owner needs.
I bought one as well and have yet to install. What is the dimesion of the bolts required? I know they are 45mm in length.
Appreciate the info and will plan on performing the install soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag1961 View Post
I bought one as well and have yet to install. What is the dimesion of the bolts required? I know they are 45mm in length.
Appreciate the info and will plan on performing the install soon.
Don't know the dimensions. I carried one of the original bolts to NAPA and told them I need two like this, but 45MM long. Also 2 flat washers. If they don't have 45MM, 40MM will work.
After putting seat back on, the seat has some side to side play. If you use your hand and apply a little downward pressure on the seat, the play disappears. I found that the seat has two post on the rear section with concave slots, that rest on round frame tubes. With no weight on the seat the post are lifted slightly off the tube. just a little weight, and the post fit back on tubes. There is no movement or wobble in the seat while riding, and it is securely fastened to the bike. This is a mod that makes the Versys much more comfortable.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 09-21-2016 at 07:56 PM.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Don't know the dimensions. I carried one of the original bolts to NAPA and told them I need two like this, but 45MM long. Also 2 flat washers. If they don't have 45MM, 40MM will work.
After putting seat back on, the seat has some side to side play. If you use your hand and apply a little downward pressure on the seat, the play disappears. I found that the seat has two post on the rear section with concave slots, that rest on round frame tubes. With no weight on the seat the post are lifted slightly off the tube. just a little weight, and the post fit back on tubes. There is no movement or wobble in the seat while riding, and it is securely fastened to the bike. This is a mod that makes the Versys much more comfortable.
Thanks for the info!

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:27 PM

oo oo ooo..I can't wait to get mine and see if it helps the Sargent's seat...
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:29 AM

Garage
The bolts are 6mm x 45mm flange head cap screws - the pair cost me $0.47 Canadian!
chadams66 likes this.

A bad day riding beats a good day in the office.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968Jeepr View Post
The bolts are 6mm x 45mm flange head cap screws - the pair cost me $0.47 Canadian!
Perfect.....
Ill pick some up this week.
Thank you
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

My Construction Must be Different / Observation of Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NOTE: This was designed for the 2015 Versys 650. I *think* it will fit older models, but I cant make any promises at this point. I have had several customers check dimensions and it looks like it should work. I will report back once we have a few in the field.

YES - same for the THREE Gens of V650s. (I took the "lift" off my '09 when the insurance came for it, and mounted it onto my '15. (I BELIEVE the length of bolts I bought are 45mm....)

BTW - I was NOT the guy that originated this mod. It was pretty much in general use when I joined the Forum and then got my '08, BIG RED, in September 2008.
So like anything I analyzed the construction and support of the seat. This is what I found;
The biggest problem for me is my jewels seem to be getting in the way no matter what angle the seat is at*%$#@ yup expect some razzing --bring it on

So what I found is that front tab is for holding the seat down ,what supports the very front of the seat is two notched tabs on either side of the protruding tab. Wear marks on the seat from rubbing are evidence of support, the protruding tab that everyone is using to raise and support the seat is primarily for holding the seat down and locating it in the middle between the gas tank.

The washers shown on either side that are getting 45mm bolts added are in fact metal spacers, which allows the gas tank to float , these spacers provide a fixed solid support for holding the seat down, as I said previously.

So I decided to go ahead and try raising the seat 1/2" , as I had all the hardware on hand and some 1/2 GPO-3 fiberglass, ( won't rust , won't corrode, non conductive and very strong, but easy to shape with a good jig saw which I also have c/w cobalt saw blades.

So I spent several hours coming up with a plan, bolted everything together, well not that easy, as it took 3 tries until I had everything fitting and bolted together. Tried it out, as the plan is for a long ride tomorrow, luckily not far to go today to get back home and take it all apart , put back to original. I was about to call it a day when I thought I could at least post a picture of the support spacer I made, never did attach the upper one that was going to go below that tab and hold the lower spacer in place.The red fiberglass piece is the seat support, not the middle tab.

What I found was raising the front almost eliminated the forward slide, however the same pressure I experience in the OEM set up is there with it raised. So the real problem is the foam and shape of the foam, no raising or lowering is going to solve that for me. Glad it works for those that posted, my plan is to get new, higher density foam and redo my own seat. I have all the tools and a arrow air stapler & stainless staples.

So come winter and there is two feet of snow outside , I plan re-do the seat with better foam and a different shape then take a couple pictures as a how I did it, and post it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raising front seat.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	98730  

Last edited by onewizard; 09-22-2016 at 05:37 PM.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:52 AM

The risers do help alot. I agree that the seat needs to be flatter,a little wider, and better foam. I looked at the v-stroms today. the seats are wider and flatter, and look way more comfortable. however when riding the v-strom the seat was only slightly more comfortable. I think all the Jap bikes use the same foam, which is not very good, but cheaper for the manufacturer.
onewizard likes this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Garage
I did the seat mod as described in this thread (Yet another seat mod... :)) along with raising the front of the seat gave me more comfort and allowed me to have longer ride times. Your mileage may vary but it worked for me on a 2016 650 versy lt. mully
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Got mine installed early this AM and told my wife I needed a real road test. She says "This would be a good day to get a truck load of soil for the new planter" . Sorry honey, no honey-do's today. Took a ride up to Sugar Pine Reservoir, about a 120 mile round trip.

Nice improvement, no sliding into the tank every time you hit the brakes or snapping the throttle closed. Good work Rawkstar 320!
onewizard likes this.
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 AM

Received and installed yesterday in 3 minutes, 200 mile test ride, all good. Specific benefits noted by many, but the end to sliding forward is the most significant, which among several benefits results in less pressure on the giblets.

I would strongly suggest anyone 'on the fence' try this, the washer system or some other farkle of this type - easy to go back if you don't like it, and (with the washer method) an investment of about $4.

I did notice that the raised pan prevents the small foam block on the bottom of the pan from putting pressure on the battery (presumably to keep it from bouncing around), so I'm going to glue on some foam rubber to resolve that. I doubt it's life threatening, but for a bit of effort, no risk.

Thanks Rawkstar320, thanks Fasteddie and others for inventing/relaying the washer bit.
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Glad to hear these are working for everyone, this block definitely makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Good on ya, Rawkstar...! I've advocated raising the front of the seat for the EIGHT years I've been on the forum, but YOUR solution is WAY-Y-Y prettier than MINE...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Good on ya, Rawkstar...! I've advocated raising the front of the seat for the EIGHT years I've been on the forum, but YOUR solution is WAY-Y-Y prettier than MINE...!

haha, thanks! It's what I do...
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 PM

I finally got around to installing the riser, and took the bike on a 4 hour ride. Not only does it eliminate the constant forward slide, it also seemed to eliminate the engine vibration felt in the seat. For some reason I get a bit numb in the privates on a ride more than 30 minutes due to the vibrations. But today no sensation of vibration and no tingles or numbness.

The extra height of the seat didn't bother me at all at stop lights.

This is an easy, cheap, and effective mod. I'd recommend it to anyone.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:53 PM

Garage
What a great experience! Ordered, received email asking for my address, and received package within a couple of days. Installed it today in just a few minutes (and I am NOT very good with tools). Looking forward to my first ride NOT having involuntary intercourse with the tank!

2012 Black n Gold purchased 8/31/2016
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfan View Post
What a great experience! Ordered, received email asking for my address, and received package within a couple of days. Installed it today in just a few minutes (and I am NOT very good with tools). Looking forward to my first ride NOT having involuntary intercourse with the tank!
Lmao
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM

Garage
Got mine yesterday, top notch! Thanks again!

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:11 PM

Garage
I got to try out the riser yesterday on 300 mile ride, and have to say it makes a difference.
Thanks!

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Has anyone tried this with a Gen 2? I have a 2011 Versys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d print, riser, seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode